P4 Long Range Boosted Extender

Can I ask a stupid question - do people really want to send their P4 9 miles away? And secondly - can the battery cope with that sort of flight range?

Can I ask a stupid question - do people really want to send their P4 9 miles away? And secondly - can the battery cope with that sort of flight range?

Some people do it for fun...some do it to test the limits of their equipment. Kind of like adding after market parts to cars/trucks, upgrading computers for better performance, etc.

As for batteries, well, the real long distance flyers have upgraded/modded their power systems with extra batteries. Search power mods or battery mods and you'll find tons of info.

Thanks for the info - Im still too scared to let over £1200 worth of kit go anywhere I can't get it back so that may be some time off for me

Thanks for the info - Im still too scared to let over £1200 worth of kit go anywhere I can't get it back so that may be some time off for me

You're not alone. Long distance flying is not for everyone. I mod my signals via antenna mods and boosters, but not for distance. It's for signal penetration through trees, wifi congestion, power lines, etc. My area/environment is bad...but I don't want that to stop me from capturing moments from up above.

That sounds way above my technical abilities for now. I get panic attacks at a few hundred metres and for now only fly in wide open spaces - though there are some areas I would like to photograph from the air I need more practice - and more confidence before I can go there

That sounds way above my technical abilities for now. I get panic attacks at a few hundred metres and for now only fly in wide open spaces - though there are some areas I would like to photograph from the air I need more practice - and more confidence before I can go there

No problem there. Take your time. Only you will know when you're ready to fly in "not-so-open" areas. For now, enjoy your time with flying in a wide open area.

Doesn't look like game over to me, looks silly, if it was made to mount on my chimney, the. oK, or on a pole, but that's kinda silly to think anyone would want that huge abortion on the TX.
Also I have read more then once where a guy with both has stated the DBS was easier to work with and had better signal then the Fpvlr. Of course I've read a couple saying they liked them too. It's the winding that flyer13 posted about, those tend to work really well, when you can put a sister wound antenna on the bird, that's where those shine, if leaving the bird stock, not putting a clover of another type of wound antenna on it, means theoretically the linear ones will sent return better results. Jeremiah on here has extensive use of both, he would be the guy to ask, he's the OP on the thread "flying from car or house" see what he says.

Before I get flamed, I can see if going for a record or something, but just to go out and enjoy a flight, that terminator, is terminated (for casual use) and I'd say 99% of the guys would agree, it's too big bulky and almost ridiculous. Next a guy will have a wheelbarrow with a ladder welding on it, with a flagpole, a generator (pure sine wave of course) with a 65" monitor, sure he'll have to recharge his batteries before taking off because the setup takes 3.5hrs to unfold, but he can fly further then a guy with two 3W amps and a DBS mod!
But that guys been out of his car flying for 3 hours and is going home now.....lol it needs to be about 1/5th the size to be taken seriously

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Keep in mind it usually out in nowhere and they also know the area like their hand, when it does go down they jump in a RZR or other type of UTV and go get it, so it's not like a total loss when those guys don't make it back, also in the desert you can set your RTH as low as 40' and your gonna be fine usually, at least 60', my RTH is 70 meters, I've got trees in my own yard over 100' tall, so that's out of the question.

Those guys get huge thrills flying distance, I'm like you, I get nervous, I was out a mile yesterday in calm winds on the other side of Lake Conroe, and was just nervous, but it gets better, first week I'd be sweating bullets just hovering at 400'! That was 2 months ago, I've now gotten 12 hours of flight under my belt, that's with one battery! Can't wait for my two to get here because of the awesome guys on this forum, Sinsalo gave me a code to get a free battery! Pretty nice guys on this forum man.....

Thanks for a great description of how things are with different groups. I know on the various sites I have seen they say you should never go out of visual range - which with a white body on a sunny day is not very far at all ! Was also wondering why the 4 doesn't have tape to show the front for identification when in the air ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl