New guy here - Long range extender system question

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just joined the community today to get some answers before I purchase my P3P from Drone World. I'm looking to purchase a Kit called the Executive Kit. Which includes bunch of stuff I would need fly on the go.The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight. I don't ever plan on flying that far out the reason, but I'm thinking the long range system will allow me to have a good video link and better signal strength between the RC and the P3P. I can save a good chunk of cash by purchasing a kit without the LRS and make my own extender like the one I've seen on youtube. What are your thoughts? I am open to all opinion and I will soak everything up like a sponge. This forum is my teacher and I am the student.

It's simple... YMMV. There are many dynamic factors which will deteremine with an LRS in use whether you will have sufficient battery power for the flight you want to do... search the forum and you'll find quite a bit of information on this topic.

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
before I purchase my P3P from Drone World. I'm looking to purchase a Kit called the Executive Kit. Which includes bunch of stuff I would need fly on the go.
There's a lot of money to be made from selling accessories - particularly to people that aren't sure what they might need.
The only useful part of the kit that I see is that it comes with 3 batteries and the case.
IMO the rest is fluff

The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight.

The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight.

The P3 can travel at about 34 mph in still air and gets about 20 minutes flight time.
That equates to a possible flight total distance of 11 miles.
I'm not going to recommend trying that but it is possible.
I don't ever plan on flying that far out the reason, but I'm thinking the long range system will allow me to have a good video link and better signal strength between the RC and the P3P. I can save a good chunk of cash by purchasing a kit without the LRS and make my own extender like the one I've seen on youtube. What are your thoughts?
The P3 has outstanding range out-of-the-box.
I've taken mine a long way and it still could go further.
I've never wished I had even more range on my stock Phantom
I would suggest trying it out before investing in range extenders.

10 miles on a quadcopter is pushing it to the max, and with a Phantom, probably not enough battery power - maybe some others with long range Phantom experience can answer that. Like you mentioned I'd use a range extender for modest flight distances with better reception. Keep in mind that long range antennas narrow the radio signals into a "beam" rather than a "bubble" which makes it directional and you mmust have your antennas pointed toward your 'copter... if it gets behind you your reception will be worse. The "beam" width is dependant on the type od system and type of antennas used.

It's simple... YMMV. There are many dynamic factors which will deteremine with an LRS in use whether you will have sufficient battery power for the flight you want to do... search the forum and you'll find quite a bit of information on this topic.

I figured head wind and the wind strength varies at higher altitude and that would be one of the major factors on whether or not such a long distance flight is possible.

There's a lot of money to be made from selling accessories - particularly to people that aren't sure what they might need.
The only useful part of the kit that I see is that it comes with 3 batteries and the case.
IMO the rest is fluff

The P3 can travel at about 34 mph in still air and gets about 20 minutes flight time.
That equates to a possible flight total distance of 11 miles.
I'm not going to recommend trying that but it is possible.

The P3 has outstanding range out-of-the-box.
I've taken mine a long way and it still could go further.
I've never wished I had even more range on my stock Phantom
I would suggest trying it out before investing in range extenders.

Thanks for your honesty. It's nice to get a different perspective to argue the pros and cons of what I was thinking. You might have just saved me some extra cash.

10 miles on a quadcopter is pushing it to the max, and with a Phantom, probably not enough battery power - maybe some others with long range Phantom experience can answer that. Like you mentioned I'd use a range extender for modest flight distances with better reception. Keep in mind that long range antennas narrow the radio signals into a "beam" rather than a "bubble" which makes it directional and you mmust have your antennas pointed toward your 'copter... if it gets behind you your reception will be worse. The "beam" width is dependant on the type od system and type of antennas used.

Cool, I didn't know that. Are you using a range extender and if so, which one?

Reactions: ghostwhowalks
Dbsmods.com and fpvlr.com are the 2 best places to order long range antenna systems. Also cheaper prices than drone world for the same antenna. About 20k ft one way is the furthest a stock battery can go in the right conditions . Fpvcustoms.com sells a dual battery mod that doesn't void your warranty. The modification is done to the smart battery ..This mod will add 5-7 mins of flight time depending on the batteries that you use. Good luck and happy safe flying #!

All I would want in a range extender is to be able to consistently get 2 kilometers. I would even love if DJI had a booster setting that increased the power output but then restricted the range when using it to 2 kilometers with firmware.

All I would want in a range extender is to be able to consistently get 2 kilometers. I would even love if DJI had a booster setting that increased the power output but then restricted the range when using it to 2 kilometers with firmware.
You shouldn't have trouble with the stock antenna getting 2km. If not though I would look at either dbsmods.com or fpvlr.com. What part of ky are you in ? I'm in Lexington !

Reactions: Richard in ky

I been out more than 2km with stock setup, your good to go there bud.

I'm a big advocate of the windsurfers or similar . It is true that they are very directional so you must be pointing at the thing at all times, but I don't fly without mine on now. The fpv range in particular is greatly improved which is a massive plus if you're on a longish waypoint mission (Litchi) and you don't want that awful tension when the signal drops out.

Hey guys,

I just joined the community today to get some answers before I purchase my P3P from Drone World. I'm looking to purchase a Kit called the Executive Kit. Which includes bunch of stuff I would need fly on the go.The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight. I don't ever plan on flying that far out the reason, but I'm thinking the long range system will allow me to have a good video link and better signal strength between the RC and the P3P. I can save a good chunk of cash by purchasing a kit without the LRS and make my own extender like the one I've seen on youtube. What are your thoughts? I am open to all opinion and I will soak everything up like a sponge. This forum is my teacher and I am the student.

If I was you, I'd get used to flying it stock first (unless you have previous experience with flying RC aircraft). You can get two miles with stock, I'd try that first before attempting long range stuff. Once it goes beyond about 350m, you won't be able to see it in the sky, so you'd better be used to flying FPV and not watching the aircraft at all!

I bought a Dromida Vista to get familiar with the sticks and I have close to 50 flights now on the normal(orange light) setting. I've gotten pretty comfortable with her and I can maneuver in any direction I want facing backwards or forwards. The time is here and I feel comfortable to pilot a phantom now without having to worry about how to fly it.

Where can I find a great deal on the P3P that comes with an extra battery and a case?

I think drone world is pretty pricey. You can build your own setup way cheaper

Hey 847guy, where do you mainly fly? I live 20 minutes NW of Chicago. I can't think of too many safe places to fly far without having to travel at least an hour away. To start out I will go to a forest preserve when the conditions are right to fly.

I agree with Conner... if you don't have a lot of experience flying quads I would _strongly_ recommend that you not even fly out of sight until you are very comfortable. Also, unless you are going to fly drones for distance as a primary reason for flying, I don't know that you'd have any real need to fly out further than 1.5 miles. This is the typical distance of a stock P3A/P. IMHO, the people who fly out 2, 3 or 4 miles do so because they want to push the boundaries and have accepted that in doing so they are adding much more risk to their flight.

I'm a big advocate of the windsurfers or similar . It is true that they are very directional so you must be pointing at the thing at all times, but I don't fly without mine on now. The fpv range in particular is greatly improved which is a massive plus if you're on a longish waypoint mission (Litchi) and you don't want that awful tension when the signal drops out.
I agree about the windsurfer and it does help.

i would go with the dbs mods antenna.
you will have to open up your tx to install this antenna and doing this it would probably void your warrenty.
they do work though

Just tried the Windsurfers tonight and I'll say I have no ragrets. Not a one. Not even one letter.

Seriously though, they work! New personal best distance record of 7510'. Still had 5 bars of RC signal and 4 bars of video. It was pretty windy and I stopped there. Pretty sweet. Started losing the video at 7300' without them along this same line last time. For $18.50 all in, they are worth every penny.

SD

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20