Antenna Mods and Expectations

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm hopefully going to have the time to do a video on this topic this weekend with actual results, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there.

With all this talk of these long range flights, I'm sure it sets your expectations pretty high for long range when doing these Antenna mods. What you usually don't see though is these long range flights are done in fair / optimum conditions. These guys are not flying in wooded areas, behind houses or buildings, and are fairly clear of any radio interference. Physical objects especially limit your range and no antenna on the market will help like you want it to. I have a customer who was only getting about 1500' stock, and with my Evo Kit, he was able to get about 4000'. Now he was happy to get that increase because it's 2.6 times what he was getting, But that's the limit on his range where he flies. I also have customers with the same kit who have gone out 10 miles.

Here are a few tips to follow to get the best out of your antenna mod.

• First of all, N-E-V-E-R turn your remote on without an antenna or amplifiers hooked up. Doing so risks irreversible damage to the radio. The antenna works as a resistor and converts the output energy into transmitted RF energy. Without the antenna, the energy has nowhere to go but to be converted to heat. Heat is bad which causes components to literally fry.
  • If you were to have a string from your transmitter to your drone, would that string touch anything? If the answer is yes, you're range will be limited. The more of an open area, the better
  • For the ItElite antenna at least, unless the aircraft is directly above you, you want to be pointing the antenna parallel to the ground, not pointed up at the aircraft, and in the general direction of the aircraft.
  • The further out you go, the more directional it gets. Now you don't have to have pinpoint accuracy, but as close as you can.
  • Just about every house has wifi these days, flying over them will cause interference
  • Stay away from cell phone towers. In fact, stay away from all towers just to be safe.
  • Get away from home, go out and see the countryside! :)

I am not an expert by any means, this is just stuff that I've gathered since getting into this hobby, so if you have some input or other tips that will help the community, please share!

For the video, I'll show my flight results when flying behind houses, over wooded areas, and then a clear path. That way you can get a better idea on what to expect for range.

Last edited:
That's interesting since the P4 does not use Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi aside... are you saying it'll fry something in the antenna or in the remote controller?

Wi-Fi aside... are you saying it'll fry something in the antenna or in the remote controller?
In the remote control. I have not experienced this myself, but have heard of it happening. Chuck from DBS Mods would know more about it than me.

Reactions: dirkclod
What do you mean it doesn't use Wi-Fi? not the traditonal wifi , but still uses 2.4ghz spectrum
Correct. Also, transmitters/receivers can and do burn up if they are powered on with no antenna. The antenna works as a resistor and converts the output energy into transmitted RF energy. Without the antenna, the energy has nowhere to go but to be converted to heat.

Correct. Also, transmitters/receivers can and do burn up if they are powered on with no antenna. The antenna works as a resistor and converts the output energy into transmitted RF energy. Without the antenna, the energy has nowhere to go but to be converted to heat.
Much better explanation! Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
That's interesting since the P4 does not use Wi-Fi.

Located on the right side .. Where the two cables I added connect into the board. Correct the p3p/p3a/p4 do not use traditional "wifi" but they use wifi technology and hardware just running DJI proprietary protocol called "Lightbridge" (a modified wifi that doesn't require a handshake and received notifications the way traditional wifi does).

When the power is being created it flows down the cable and out the antenna resulting in very little heat, but when you have no antenna it starts to heat up the finals and can burn them out fairly quickly, which would ruin someone's day real fast lol !!

regardless of which model of remote you have , if you have a removable antenna, never turn it on without the antenna connected !

[emoji4][emoji106]
0909d44ce3d9de8d7dbf49ac86dddd9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Edit: sorry TJ just saw your post!!! Lol what he said!! ^^^

Hey guys, I'm hopefully going to have the time to do a video on this topic this weekend with actual results, but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there.

With all this talk of these long range flights, I'm sure it sets your expectations pretty high for long range when doing these Antenna mods. What you usually don't see though is these long range flights are done in fair / optimum conditions. These guys are not flying in wooded areas, behind houses or buildings, and are fairly clear of any radio interference. Physical objects especially limit your range and no antenna on the market will help like you want it to. I have a customer who was only getting about 1500' stock, and with my Evo Kit, he was able to get about 4000'. Now he was happy to get that increase because it's 2.6 times what he was getting, But that's the limit on his range where he flies. I also have customers with the same kit who have gone out 10 miles.

Here are a few tips to follow to get the best out of your antenna mod.

• First of all, N-E-V-E-R turn your remote on without an antenna or amplifiers hooked up. Doing so risks irreversible damage to the radio. The antenna works as a resistor and converts the output energy into transmitted RF energy. Without the antenna, the energy has nowhere to go but to be converted to heat. Heat is bad which causes components to literally fry.
  • If you were to have a string from your transmitter to your drone, would that string touch anything? If the answer is yes, you're range will be limited. The more of an open area, the better
  • For the ItElite antenna at least, unless the aircraft is directly above you, you want to be pointing the antenna parallel to the ground, not pointed up at the aircraft, and in the general direction of the aircraft.
  • The further out you go, the more directional it gets. Now you don't have to have pinpoint accuracy, but as close as you can.
  • Just about every house has wifi these days, flying over them will cause interference
  • Stay away from cell phone towers. In fact, stay away from all towers just to be safe.
  • Get away from home, go out and see the countryside! :)

I am not an expert by any means, this is just stuff that I've gathered since getting into this hobby, so if you have some input or other tips that will help the community, please share!

For the video, I'll show my flight results when flying behind houses, over wooded areas, and then a clear path. That way you can get a better idea on what to expect for range.
Where exactly is this Wi-Fi module located?

So you are saying the DBS antenna should stay pointed parallel to the ground even if the Phantom is say 500m out and 35 or more degrees up ?

Not sure if DJI incorporates similar circuitry, but in all of my Amateur radios, RF output is lowered to account for any impedance mismatch between transmitter and antenna. I use SWR meters to monitor this, and tuners to help match impedance. I wonder if some of the equipment I see used on our transceivers actually take this into account, or are just cobbled together. I will also mention here that the FCC regulates and provides type acceptance for devices producing RF energy, most notably power output limits. I am regulated to certain power output limits on different bands across the spectrum. I'm sure there are similar regs for devices in the bands we use to fly.

I don't agree with your third point. I think you have used some incorrect terms or something else is going on as it is not making sense to me.

I don't agree with your third point. I think you have used some incorrect terms or something else is going on as it is not making sense to me.
Basically what I'm saying is, the panel should be perpendicular to the ground. This is what's recommended by ItElite, and I've found it gives me the best results. I've talked to a few others and all had the same conclusion. What is your experience?

Mixed opinions are good though, give people different stuff to try, so don't be afraid to jump in.

Like Dirk says, pointed at the quad. The signal emanates from the front of the panel and you want that to pointed at the bird.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav