New guy here - Long range extender system question

Just tried the Windsurfers tonight and I'll say I have no ragrets. Not a one. Not even one letter.

Seriously though, they work! New personal best distance record of 7510'. Still had 5 bars of RC signal and 4 bars of video. It was pretty windy and I stopped there. Pretty sweet. Started losing the video at 7300' without them along this same line last time. For $18.50 all in, they are worth every penny.

SD

Why did you have to pay $18.50 for the Windsurfer? Isn't it a free download I can print on thick paper?

@ volitant soul, I usually go to the parks in the city or the beach. Not flying near ppl of course. I just recently started going to the forest preserve my self, I have the fpvlr advance antenna set up , so I get awesome range in the woods

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
Why did you have to pay $18.50 for the Windsurfer? Isn't it a free download I can print on thick paper?

Yes its free. But nothing worse then turning out on site with a crushed windsurfer. The 3d printed ones $15 aud last forever and fit nicely on the antenna.

The windsurfer also acts as signal blocker for your smart phone/device. Some times the 2.4ghz wifi and the phones network can disrupt the signal considering how close the phone is mounted to the antenna.

And to the OP, i would try the windsurfer first as it does not void the controller warranty. Please research the long range mods on YouTube before attempting as i have heard some have damaged the flex cable inside the remote.

Also consider planning the long range flight. Do it over water so you don't harm anyone. In the 2yrs of flying, I have only flown 2km and it makes my bowels go uneasy. Learn to crawl before you run as it could be your last.

Yeah, I bought the 3d printed version for $16.99 + shipping. The fit and finish is great, the color matches the controller, and it was easy to assemble. Low cost, huge range improvements, and warranty intact. You could print and assemble the do it yourself version but for me, my time was worth the $18

SD

@ volitant soul, I usually go to the parks in the city or the beach. Not flying near ppl of course. I just recently started going to the forest preserve my self, I have the fpvlr advance antenna set up , so I get awesome range in the woods

Oh that's cool. I bet you have some awesome clips and photos of our beautiful city and beachs. Would you mind sharing any? I'd love to get out there and check out your setup one of these days.

BTW, after looking around the web. I've decided to purchase my P3P from b&h. They seem to have the best price and seems to be a reputable company.

Yes its free. But nothing worse then turning out on site with a crushed windsurfer. The 3d printed ones $15 aud last forever and fit nicely on the antenna.

The windsurfer also acts as signal blocker for your smart phone/device. Some times the 2.4ghz wifi and the phones network can disrupt the signal considering how close the phone is mounted to the antenna.

And to the OP, i would try the windsurfer first as it does not void the controller warranty. Please research the long range mods on YouTube before attempting as i have heard some have damaged the flex cable inside the remote.

Also consider planning the long range flight. Do it over water so you don't harm anyone. In the 2yrs of flying, I have only flown 2km and it makes my bowels go uneasy. Learn to crawl before you run as it could be your last.

This is great info Mako79, Thanks! Do you have a link to the website you purchased your 3D windsurfer from?

I'll definitely be flying in rural areas in case I get those oh $h1t moments when I attempt long range. I have family in cheese - land Wisconsin.

I think you really need to buy the 'Executive Kit' & fly as far as you can :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: (with your eyes closed)

I am reluctant to pay that much for something I might never get to do cuz the f double a is breathing over us with regulations, but that's a different discussion. My inner Homer moment scratching my belly thinking I can really fly with my eyes close....doh.

Suhhhhhweeet! That deals saves me a few hundred from the current offer on b&h. Have you dealt with all e rc before? I'm going to look into this tonight and click the purchase button.

nah i have't dealt with them before, but i think they been around a while. I actually have a p3 advance already, Im thinking of picking this up and selling the p3a in the future. That would bring my total batteries to 4 And a backpack for air travel, because i have a hard case already :)

nah i have't dealt with them before, but i think they been around a while. I actually have a p3 advance already, Im thinking of picking this up and selling the p3a in the future. That would bring my total batteries to 4 And a backpack for air travel, because i have a hard case already :)

Do it!

I can't wait to get my gift to myself this holiday. Now I have to come up with a good excuse so my girl doesn't flip out when she hears how much my new toy cost me :D

Lol I worked hard all year and my phantom in which I bought in October is pretty much the only thing I bought myself. They are costly, but its an awesome hobby and something I use regularly, so it's worth it to me. My fpvlr setup works wonders and got some amazing range vs stock. Also when you get your setup , maybe we can fly sometime while the weather still mild

Reactions: Volitant_Soul
Hey guys,

I just joined the community today to get some answers before I purchase my P3P from Drone World. I'm looking to purchase a Kit called the Executive Kit. Which includes bunch of stuff I would need fly on the go.The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight. I don't ever plan on flying that far out the reason, but I'm thinking the long range system will allow me to have a good video link and better signal strength between the RC and the P3P. I can save a good chunk of cash by purchasing a kit without the LRS and make my own extender like the one I've seen on youtube. What are your thoughts? I am open to all opinion and I will soak everything up like a sponge. This forum is my teacher and I am the student.

Hey guys,

I just joined the community today to get some answers before I purchase my P3P from Drone World. I'm looking to purchase a Kit called the Executive Kit. Which includes bunch of stuff I would need fly on the go.The item that intrigues me the most is the Long Range System that claims to extend the range to 4 - 5 miles(6.43km - 8.04km). My question is would it be possible to fly out 5 miles and come back to home with enough mAh left in the battery? Based on my thinking that would be a total of 10 miles and I don't think the 4480mAh capacity will allow that long of a flight. I don't ever plan on flying that far out the reason, but I'm thinking the long range system will allow me to have a good video link and better signal strength between the RC and the P3P. I can save a good chunk of cash by purchasing a kit without the LRS and make my own extender like the one I've seen on youtube. What are your thoughts? I am open to all opinion and I will soak everything up like a sponge. This forum is my teacher and I am the student.
I have been able to get 50mph in all directions when I fly in Atti mode (my healthydrones speed rating is windsurfer) that being said I don't think I would want to fly any farther out than 3 miles and flying in a straight line is boring anyway. If you want to extend your range you could either order one of these from the guy who designed it or the file is provided that you can use a 3-d printer to 3-d print it yourself. I have heard of some public libraries and university libraries that have 3-d printers available to the public and it takes about 5 hours to print. After you print it you just add either copper emi shielding or aluminum tape. Supposedly this will give you the max distance for what your battery can handle. I have not tested mine yet but I may tomorrow.

DJI Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster by giufini

Hi Volitant Soul - is your main aim in buying the P3 mainly for distance/ drone flying etc or Photo/video? or both?

I would opt for the P3 Advanced as 4k video is difficult to work with if your PC/ laptop aren't specced up to the max, also you will be able to get an extra battery for the price of the pro.
2.7k on the advanced would be well enough.
Good luck in whatever you choose to buy.

Lol I worked hard all year and my phantom in which I bought in October is pretty much the only thing I bought myself. They are costly, but its an awesome hobby and something I use regularly, so it's worth it to me. My fpvlr setup works wonders and got some amazing range vs stock. Also when you get your setup , maybe we can fly sometime while the weather still mild

Dude, I'd love to have someone with experience with me on my maiden. Do you have a checklist you go through before each flight or just the one mentioned by dji? Do you own other quads, airplanes, or helicopters?

Hi Volitant Soul - is your main aim in buying the P3 mainly for distance/ drone flying etc or Photo/video? or both?

I would opt for the P3 Advanced as 4k video is difficult to work with if your PC/ laptop aren't specced up to the max, also you will be able to get an extra battery for the price of the pro.
2.7k on the advanced would be well enough.
Good luck in whatever you choose to buy.

I plan on doing it all. Long distance flights in special situations, but mainly to enjoy fpv video/photography.

Im thinking 4k will eventually replace household 1080 and 2.7k, so why not get a future proof item. Also, I'm not an apple guy, but I've been reading rumors of the next ipad air 3 to have 4k resolution. So that's also something to consider.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie