New? Shell Differences

I contacted my dealer about the the new motors and now a new shell design. He replied that having sold hundreds of Phantoms...all types, he has had only one with a cracked shell which was dealt with under warranty. He also says the he has had no notice from DJI concerning new motors and adds, that there has always been two types of motor fitted. Also no notice about any change in the body shell. Now my face to face dealings with him and his staff have always been honest and friendly.
I don't think he his spinning any DJI hype or hiding stuff. I believe everything he mentions.
I note the forum has some authorised dealers as members....and none seem to have mentioned ...as far as I can find... any of these changes, which appear to be advised only after a members phantom has been In for repairs.
Having once been employed as a production manager, I know how difficult it can be implementing changes and having to take into account current contracts in place, stock and lead times for retooling etc and always ..the costings involved. it could be that some changes occurred whe. Needing to replace worn tooling or a change in supplier with new tooling.
So based on all this...it still seems that new phantom P3 buyers are in a lottery as to which version is in their box.

I don't doubt your dealer or anything you just mentioned or typed.

I honestly just don't believe DJI LoL

Ok just had a look under my motor to check my new shell and it has the pointed bits but no X. I have also included pictures I posted earlier
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444240914.113598.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444240939.180060.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444240962.167915.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444240986.452859.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444241001.205807.jpg

it seems there are several different molded bodys out there.
probably made from different companys.
some have stright tabs and some have pointed tabs with x braceing.some do not have x braceong.
hard to tell which is new and whice is old.
some have large vent holes and some have smaller vent holes.
so which is the newer one and which is the older one?
this could go on forever.

For the record, I have a P3P with the new motors and its shell is missing the X design support under the motor.
Guess the less powerful motors do not need the extra support?

And all of the screws had what appears to be blue loctite.

shell.jpg

If the reinforced shell with the extra ribs is better why wouldn't all frames be made that way? Makes no sense to have so many variants currently reaching owners.

For the record, I have a P3P with the new motors and its shell is missing the X design support under the motor.
Guess the less powerful motors do not need the extra support?

And all of the screws had what appears to be blue loctite.

shell.jpg

Don't be too concerned.. The P3 Standard has the "pointy tabs" and NO X brace. The P3 Standard users haven't reported any shell cracks (yet). Mind you, the P3 Standard was released a few months later and there are probably less pilots than the Adv/Pros.

I just starter using an advanced i had fresh in box that i received in July. My May delivery advanced was cracked enough to retire. The moment i starter using this July delivery phantom, I ordered a new advanced com DJI in Germany. It arrived two weeks ago. It's still in box waiting for cracks on the July bird. I looked at it today and sure enough it has the big vents. The July delivery has small vents. I'll look under the motors of both in a few days.

The atached pic has the initial fedback from DJI Europe support after i let them know i bought my P3A 4th of Sep 2015.
Then i came back to them letting them know that my dealer actualy got the bird from DJI o n the 11th of August in their stock and DJI came back again saying:
"I would like to ask you if you keep looking if the cracks will occur. Not at all phantoms the cracks will occur.
Also it was just a shell issue and had nothing to do with the motors.
Please let me know if any crack will occur, then we will apply your phantom for warranty.

Kind regards,

DJI Support NL

DJI Europe Technical Support"

Attachments

• 1444340464373.jpg
    1444340464373.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 561
Reactions: bobmyers
To find out what you have without unscrewing any motors, just use a flashlight as was previously mentioned here. Works like a charm. I checked my July delivery bird from DJI Europe and the bracing is original. The thicker ribbing is not present there. Tomorrow I'll check out a new in box advanced that was delivered two weeks ago.

To find out what you have without unscrewing any motors, just use a flashlight as was previously mentioned here. Works like a charm. I checked my July delivery bird from DJI Europe and the bracing is original. The thicker ribbing is not present there. Tomorrow I'll check out a new in box advanced that was delivered two weeks ago.
I have not seen that flashlight post can u please explain how to do it ?

Reactions: bighi
This morning I checked out my advanced that was delivered two weeks ago direct from DJI Germany. Looked with a flashlight and the ribs were thicker. The x bracing was also present. This one has the new motors. Side vents are bigger as well.

No,

I have the older motors and new shell

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Cool. Thanks.

From reading other posts, it looks like you can find it with a flashlight.

Would someone mind posting a photo with what I am looking for?

I think I can tell I have bigger vents, but not sure about the X bracing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl