Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

New? Shell Differences

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by droneshop, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Tony Perry

Dude this is awesome! Thank you for taking these pics.

It turns out the the shell I ordered to replace my cracked original shell is the new style. I reinforced it, but maybe I didn't need to.. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

2. envisionabove

+100

Zeprider likes this.
  3. JB-I

Could you show pictures of the motor screw holes from the bottom. I have noticed through looking at all the photos on this site of cracked holes that they look like image #1. I have never seen a pic of a crack on image #2. Just curious if the new shell design has these embossed radiuses on all the holes and on all the arms. Believe it or not these pics are from the same P3P with half embossed holes only on two arms which was strange! I never took it apart to see how it looked inside. It decided to take a swim so I don't have it anymore :( And my new drone has all holes like Image #1. :((

Image #1
    IMG_1366.JPG

Image #2 IMG_1365.JPG

4. Wibble

It does make me wonder if the shell has been redesigned what is the need for the different motor with the flatter base?

My P3 does NOT have any embossed holes at all. There are no doubt several different moulds being used and multiple cavities so it could still be just a small number were effected.

#5 Wibble, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  5. droneshop

I will have to update the post again. Found a couple more older shells and there has been at least 3 iterations.
    1st had small vents and sqaure holes where the legs meet,
    2nd had larger vents and the little half circles cut out where the legs attach, but same bracing inside the arms, but had solid motor tabs
    3rd has the larger vents, half circles at where the legs attach and pointy motor tabs with X bracing

6. droneshop

I have an 2nd gen shell with those halos on half the arms, the other half has no indents.

7. droneshop

Gen 2 to gen 3 have very little if any differences on the outside, it seems to all be in the motor mount, you should be able to remove the screws from one motor and have enough slack to peek under.

8. droneshop

Even with a flatter base on the motor there will be NO extra contact patch between the motors and shell.

9. JB-I

I agree with this. But it is my opinion and want to know if you agree that the new motors were used for production capacity issues only as DJI has stated, but they look like they are of lesser quality. i.e... thinner housing, weaker top bearing support and most of all it appears they have a smaller shaft diameter.

10. Bigdz

Thanks for posting the pictures. Something tells me the "new" she'll I purchased isn't "new" at all. I bought a replacement shell when they where on back order, a couple of months ago.

11. gfredrone

Thanks for posting this!

12. Mr.Spock

Thank u for this!

13. droneshop

I wouldn't be surprised. Probably had a better quote from a motor company. We will see if the "new" motors hold up. With no change in rotor size I wouldn't have though going to a Lower kv motor would be necessary. I suppose because the boost in voltage maybe they feel the 900 kv motors spin too fast? The slower everything goes the less precise the manufacturing has to be. Maybe by going to 800kv they can get away with cheaper props and shells etc. Just speculating on my part.

JB-I likes this.
  14. gfredrone

Well DJI just had my unit for a month for stress cracks and they sent it back to me with the same identical shell that cracked. It's back there now for other DJI inflicted issues which happened during the RMA process and I'm demanding a new unit with the latest shell design.

JB-I likes this.
  15. bobmyers

This shell story would make a great afternoon soap opera-- As The Shell Turns-- :D:D:p:p

Jbundy63 likes this.
  16. eyecon82

So it seems there are 4 versions of the Phantom 3? I have version 2

Version 1: old motors and 1st gen shell Version 2: old motors and 2nd Gen shell
    Version 3: old motors and 3rd Gen

version 4: new motors with 3rd Gen shell

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

#17 eyecon82, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  17. gtpark

WOW, how can they be that incompetent! That has to be very frustrating.

18. Nstrong48

Go to the standard page and see how many people are complaining about stress cracks. I couldn't find any. New shell, new motors, maybe a combo of both but they seem to be holding up. I didn't notice any difference at all in performance between the too. Only thing I thought when I first got my p3a was that it actually seemed less noisy than the p3s with the new motors

19. Jbundy63

Thanks for posting