New? Shell Differences

Go to the standard page and see how many people are complaining about stress cracks. I couldn't find any. New shell, new motors, maybe a combo of both but they seem to be holding up. I didn't notice any difference at all in performance between the too. Only thing I thought when I first got my p3a was that it actually seemed less noisy than the p3s with the new motors

I asked the same question on the P3S page. No one had any issues.
P3S shells have the 'pointy tabs' but no X reinforcements.

So there could be 4 different shells.
- flat motor tabs, no X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- flat motor tabs, low profile X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- pointy motor tabs, stiffen X reinforcement (Adv and Pro)
- pointy motor tabs, no X reinforcement (Standard - no one has proof that a Standard shell is transferable to the Pro/Adv).

Reactions: acherman
I just checked under the motor. I have the pointy motor tabs & X-reinforcement. This is with the "old" motors on my P3P

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

when did you get your Phantom?

I just got mine last Tuesday off of Amazon and have the flat tabs with no X and old motors accompanied by a stress crack already. I also check the Flight Data and the DAT files start at FLY020 so Im suspecting Ive been had.

Hello guys how can i know which shell version i have without opening it pls ? I have the old motors thats for sure but i contacted DJI and they came back saying that if i bought the P3A after August 2015 then the problem of the cracking shell is fixed... (see attached coms )

Attachments

• 1444117775032.jpg
    1444117775032.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 1444117788678.jpg
    1444117788678.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 653
It's easy to unscrew a motor. Just lift up the motor a little bit and if u see jagged flaps on the side instead of the flat ones it's the new shell

It's easy to unscrew a motor. Just lift up the motor a little bit and if u see jagged flaps on the side instead of the flat ones it's the new shell
I won't open the shell. Is there a way to find out without opening the shell. But thanks

Flip the p3 upside down on the ground. Unscrew one motor. Slight lift up the p3 and gently pull motor out a little and take a peak. Then screw the motor back in

Shell, hmm, I wonder, has anyone seen a better shell then a plastic one, would be interesting hear someting of it

I wonder if some of the stress cracks are being caused by people unscrewing and screwing their motors back in? Any idea what actual torque you need for the screws? Very easy to over tighten!!!
Exactly my point.

I won't open the shell. Is there a way to find out without opening the shell. But thanks
No way to tell. Just unscrew it. No big deal
Just had my shell replaced and it seems to have the smaller vents but dose have the cutouts under the legs.View attachment 32865
View attachment 32866
That looks like the old shell. Those cutouts under the let should have a half circle cut out as well
I dont want to unscrew the motors since nothing is wrong with it.
Stop being a whimp [emoji6]

You can't own a "drone" and not expect to ever take it apart
Exactly my point.
That point is invalid

Reactions: acherman
No way to tell. Just unscrew it. No big deal

That looks like the old shell. Those cutouts under the let should have a half circle cut out as well

Stop being a whimp [emoji6]

You can't own a "drone" and not expect to ever take it apart

That point is invalid

I done a double mode on then RC including the DBS itelite antenna and HDMI module i have put the gimbal guard and gimbal camera protection. I have put zip ties in each arm for extra strength and to increase the vibration absorption area. I have reduced the breaks to 75 % reduced the attitude and yaw. I done the 32 ch mod (not a physical mod ok) and finally i have the CF props on which i balance. So unless u have a way to help me find out if my shell is new or old by examining it extranly i won't open up or unscrew any bit of a new bird brother unless i need to mod it for some reason.

I done a double mode on then RC including the DBS itelite antenna and HDMI module i have put the gimbal guard and gimbal camera protection. I have put zip ties in each arm for extra strength and to increase the vibration absorption area. I have reduced the breaks to 75 % reduced the attitude and yaw. I done the 32 ch mod (not a physical mod ok) and finally i have the CF props on which i balance. So unless u have a way to help me find out if my shell is new or old by examining it extranly i won't open up or unscrew any bit of a new bird brother unless i need to mod it for some reason.
Then you're out of luck, my man

I contacted my dealer about the the new motors and now a new shell design. He replied that having sold hundreds of Phantoms...all types, he has had only one with a cracked shell which was dealt with under warranty. He also says the he has had no notice from DJI concerning new motors and adds, that there has always been two types of motor fitted. Also no notice about any change in the body shell. Now my face to face dealings with him and his staff have always been honest and friendly.
I don't think he his spinning any DJI hype or hiding stuff. I believe everything he mentions.
I note the forum has some authorised dealers as members....and none seem to have mentioned ...as far as I can find... any of these changes, which appear to be advised only after a members phantom has been In for repairs.
Having once been employed as a production manager, I know how difficult it can be implementing changes and having to take into account current contracts in place, stock and lead times for retooling etc and always ..the costings involved. it could be that some changes occurred whe. Needing to replace worn tooling or a change in supplier with new tooling.
So based on all this...it still seems that new phantom P3 buyers are in a lottery as to which version is in their box.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic