New? Shell Differences

I'm not entirely sure, but it sure looks like there are support that form the shape of an X in my arms. Check out these (crappy) photos.

Thoughts?
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444503873.485239.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444503885.385738.jpg

That's x braced but take the same picture only flip the phantom upside down.

I ordered a replacement shell on August 2nd from Advexure, which they had in stock. It is the latest type, and as we know, there were no shells available for quite some time after the P3P and P3A came on the market, so I'm guessing DJI only made shells available with the updated strengthening features, not the early shells some of which have suffered stress cracking. Perhaps they knew there were issues with early shells? (and never offered those as a spare part).

I just posted a reply another thread regarding motor and battery heat. I have a feeling DJI was very, very aware of cracks and all potential causes. Heat included. Hence, the lack of widespread cracking on standards is maybe a result of motor mount improvements along with better motor support and less motor heat. A lot less heat.

143km in 6 days and dead. Pushed it too hard? | DJI Phantom Forum

Be careful, there are 3 types of shell, the old one everybody now about, the second one whit reinforced but without the X reinforcement in the middle of the motor mount, and the last one with the X reinforcement, which is now listed as new on the DJI web store. The best way is to remove a motor and look for the X in the middle of the motor mount

Be careful, there are 3 types of shell, the old one everybody now about, the second one whit reinforced but without the X reinforcement in the middle of the motor mount, and the last one with the X reinforcement, which is now listed as new on the DJI web store. The best way is to remove a motor and look for the X in the middle of the motor mount

I don't have X Brace on mine and have old motors, should I be worried?

I don't have any cracks on mine and I pre-ordered my P3a when they first came out. I did check and I have the first original shell so just for peace of mind I bought the UAVBits strong arm kits. Hopefully that will keep any cracks from ever forming.

Reactions: porrascarlos80
Just keep looking for crack, if you start having them, you will need to change your shell some time via warranty or DIY

A friend of mine showed me his brand new P3A (recvd 2 days ago) ...His P3 has a new board (rev 9), new shell, new motors 2312A, but I will meet again to go a bit deeper. It comes from DJI store. I don't know if distributors are getting new release already. Somewhere else I read that "old" rev7 board can't use new 2312A motors due to different ESC.

PS: Oh.. I see now that in DJI spare part store there are on sale two different board really for Pro/Adv ...

Reactions: porrascarlos80
Honestly DJI should provide a free shell upgrade for anyone with the original shell. Or at the very least extend the warranty on the shell for another year.

Just keep looking for crack, if you start having them, you will need to change your shell some time via warranty or DIY

In a way this can depend on the flying people do. Often times when I'm not flying my phantom I'll see others and watch the flying they do. Most of what I see is up over a tree, stop, a couple of hundred meters in one direction, stop, then a couple of hundred back, this sort of thing. Honestly, that sort of flying has a higher chance of ending up with a broken gimbal from tree or structure strike than the 2 km away, higher altitude stresses that I'm familiar with. So it depends.

Did another couple of flights today. Far and high, 2 kms away, two directions, non stop movement until landing. After this 15 minute flight there was almost no heat on the new motors. If heat added to the cracking issue, it certainly won't be a problem with these new motors. Time will tell. But I am running zip ties for the two arm screws. Too easy to not do and almost invisible mod if you use clear zip ties.

Did another couple of flights today. Far and high, 2 kms away, two directions, non stop movement until landing. After this 15 minute flight there was almost no heat on the new motors. If heat added to the cracking issue, it certainly won't be a problem with these new motors. Time will tell. But I am running zip ties for the two arm screws. Too easy to not do and almost invisible mod if you use clear zip ties.
Do you have the old motors, that you did this test with?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The old motors were on my old phantom 3 that I received about a month after launch. I retired it from excessive cracks around the motor mounts. On that one, with original motors, along with another friend's phantom 3, the motors were a lot hotter when it came in after a flight. Not stupid hot like the batteries, but at least warm. Batteries were always hot. The advanced I received to weeks ago with the new motors is completely different heat wise. Batteries come back barely warm, not too warm to start charging instantly, while the motors are barely warmer than the shell itself. I'm not testing with an infra red cause I don't need it. The temperature difference is obvious.

I sent back an older model p3a and just received my new one from DJI direct today. Definitely agree when it comes to the heat on and around the motors as well as the battery.

Huge difference in heat. This will definitely be a plus for the plastic in the motor area. As for the battery, I no longer feel that I'm abusing them at this low heat level. Phantom 2 era heat levels. If not cooler. Speed seems about the same as with the old motors. I'm hoping that this low heat along with the shell improvements finally does the trick as far as cracks.

A couple of weeks back when I retired my cracked advanced, I took a July delivery bird, brand new, out of the box, zip tied it, and started flying. Then this new motor, X braced advanced arrived. I'm sticking to that one and asking that 6 flight old July phantom 3 to a friend. I'm not doing the old motors with all the heat any more. It must be working crack wise since stress cracks in the standard forum are not something I've seen yet. Unless those guys aren't looking.

Anyone got a p3 pro with the new motors. I only read about people with p3adv with new motors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen