New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

jimre said:
I hope you edited it with a plain-text editor, not something like Microsoft Word. Fancy word processors tend to corrupt plain-text files like these.

Sure.

Windows 8 & LR 5.3 made these:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\PHANTOM VISION FC200 RAW.lcp
having stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"

and

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp
having stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False"

Now it works :D

mikeboruta said:
Peter - I got it working with Photoshop on my Mac. I found the DJI .lcp file in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but when I changed it there it didn't make a difference. So I copied the file to "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" which didn't have any lens profiles inside of it. Then, it worked and allowed me to apply the lens correction within Adobe Camera Raw.
Weird. I've got nothing in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but I do have the .lcp in "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" (which is where the DJI instructions say to put it.)

At least on my camera every time I turn it on I have to change it to RAW it defaults to JPEG every time I turn it off.

It appears I may have a problem with my update. I downloaded the file and unzipped as instructions and the file was named "firmware.bin". I copied the .bin file to the mini card with everything turned off. I inserted the card and turned on the battery and the led flashed yellow a few seconds and stopped flashing. Can't remember for sure, but think it turned green? Anyway, I went outside to test the system out and I now cannot connect to the DJI app in camera mode. The app works fine, but get error message saying it failed connection to camera. It shows to be connected to the wifi on the app but when going to camera, it shows that the connection has failed. I tried multiple times and turned everything off and back on and still the same. The Phantom Vision seems to fly ok, but does not connect to the camera. The camera is on wifi and the app shows connected to wifi.

I decided to try to re-update by deleting the file on the card, which the name changed as others state on the mini card to firmware.bin.bak00. I deleted the file and recopied the firmware.bin file and tried to update again, and started flashing yellow as instructions say, but it has been over an hour at this time and still flashing yellow. It does not go to flashing red as a failed update, but doesn't stop flashing yellow as it is supposed to. It seemed strange that the original update only took less than 5 seconds before showing as complete, but now it appears I may have other issues. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to stop the process or it may need the factory reset according to instructions.

Update: stopped due to low battery and tried again and no go. Tried a Bind procedure but no help. Camera appears to not be working as all other seems to work fine and by indication of instructions, firmware updated correctly since it did stop properly without fail and file name did change per instructions. I now seem to have a brick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 512
Peter Evans said:
Studiowise said:
I would still like a comparative shot from someone so i can compare to mine!

Here you go (an unprcessed 100% crop in PSD format that you can download)

http://www.painting-photography-france.com/phantom/DJI00013-100percent-crop.psd

This the original image

DJI00013-unprocessed.jpg

and this is my quickly processed 100% crop from the centre

DJI00013-noise-reduced-sharpened.jpg

Personally, I think the camera produces poor results. I'm really disappointed. My wife's Canon Ixus 95 from February 2009 takes much better images and that too has a 1/2.3" sensor. The fact that her camera is only 10mp and the Vision is 14mp reinforces the argument that anything over 8mp - 10 mp in a sensor this size proves the law of diminishing returns. I should have known better. It takes a lot of work to get anything halfway decent out of these DNG images :-(

Oh, and that's my house just to the right in the background! :D

Dang it...I gotta agree... I'm disappointed. Anything zoomed over 50% is a waste. Ah well what do expect for $1,200? :?:

Dang it...I gotta agree... I'm disappointed. Anything zoomed over 50% is a waste. Ah well what do expect for $1,200? :?:

I expect much more! Those files aren't nearly as good as any pocket camera I have ever seen! Much less a jpg out of a SLR. Those RAW (ding) files are better than the jpgs from my Vision though. But not by much. I would be embarrassed to even attempt to sell a picture from the files from my Vision. Mine is going back. Flying Camera? BAH!

yeah i would expect a shitload more, for the money spent aswell.
I hate to say it,but ALOT of photographers just walked out the door on this one.
i knew the camera wouldnt be great but this is just really bad,this is where DJI made their money from us.
They probably didnt expect such a big response from Pro and Am photographers and cheaped out on the camera sensor....im guessing whoever make's the next model wont make the same mistake,and may market it towards REAL photograhers and not pretty blondes and party people on the river.

phantom_of_the_opera said:
yeah i would expect a shitload more, for the money spent aswell.
I hate to say it,but ALOT of photographers just walked out the door on this one.
i knew the camera wouldnt be great but this is just really bad,this is where DJI made their money from us.
They probably didnt expect such a big response from Pro and Am photographers and cheaped out on the camera sensor....im guessing whoever make's the next model wont make the same mistake,and may market it towards REAL photograhers and not pretty blondes and party people on the river.

+1. Yeah I couldn't see using this to sell pictures. At least nothing very high end. MAYBE something small like a picture or two in a brochure (like for a real estate add etc) but I'd feel weird printing anything bigger than an 8x10. Awe well. I do like the telemetry stuff added to it.

I'm feeling a little buyers remorse. No body to blame but myself. I just had to have the "best" (?) one out at the time. I really wish I would have waited for the Phantom 2 w zemuse+GoPro. I think I would have been happier. I'm stuck with her now. Hmm I wonder if I could swap out the camera? Maybe sell the FC200 for spare parts. But then I don't know if I could get a gimbal to work. Food for thought.

J

mikeboruta said:
docngo said:
FYI, editing the file PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp and changing

stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" to "True"

does the trick and now you can do lens correction inside of Adobe Camera Raw. It recognizes the DNG file from PV2 and automatically corrects when you select "Enable Lens Profile Correction"

One problem I did have was that when taking the photos the connection between the P2V and my iPhone/Tx would be briefly lost while the camera wrote the file to the micro-sd card. A couple times it gave me the "connection broken" error, just for a second. But also, I initially had the app settings for "When connection breaks" set to "Start Recording." With this enabled I found that after each DNG photo I took the P2V automatically started recording a video.

I noticed this as well, because I had set my "on lost connection" to begin video, my thinking was that if I lost connection and something bad happened I would get a $1200 video for my trouble. I now get a video begining after each RAW format picture I take. Interesting.
Thanks, I am glad to hear all the experiences.
Daniel

They probably thought they were cool releasing it on a holiday. "I have a dream, that one day, the P2V will support Adobe DNG".

But it's Monday, and I think that most of us will need to wait until the weekend to do any real testing.

petersachs said:
mikeboruta said:
Peter - I got it working with Photoshop on my Mac. I found the DJI .lcp file in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but when I changed it there it didn't make a difference. So I copied the file to "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" which didn't have any lens profiles inside of it. Then, it worked and allowed me to apply the lens correction within Adobe Camera Raw.
Weird. I've got nothing in "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but I do have the .lcp in "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" (which is where the DJI instructions say to put it.)

I just tried to do this on my laptop and it didn't work. I think maybe this happened is because on my mac pro I didn't install the DJI .lcp file manually from the DJI download. Instead, I updated Camera Raw to 8.3 from this site: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5695&fileID=5706
and doing this put the DJI .lcp profile in my root library/application support folder. I changed the code in this file, copied it, and then added it to my username/library/application support/ etc.

Do you have it working yet? If not, try copying this file:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp
into both locations.

Jre said:
They probably thought they were cool releasing it on a holiday. "I have a dream, that one day, the P2V will support Adobe DNG".

But it's Monday, and I think that most of us will need to wait until the weekend to do any real testing.

Sadly not a holiday in Europe, or more importantly in China! I think it more likely they got it out before Chinese New Year in case there were major bugs in it, because it will all go quiet during that holiday.

mikeboruta
Changing the .lcp worked for me too. For those who don't understand how to do this, you need to open up the lens correction file (PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp) in a text editor, change that line of text, and re-save the file as a .lcp file. In my case (using a mac), I found the DJI .lcp file in "Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" but when I changed it there it didn't make a difference. So I copied the file to "/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/" which didn't have any lens profiles inside of it. Then, it worked and allowed me to apply the lens correction within Adobe Camera Raw.

After you edit PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp file, how do you save the text edited file as a .lcp? When I hit save in the text editor it just shows the PHANTOM VISION FC200 file as a text file and I do not see a way to change it to a .lcp. If I try to save it as a text file it just says the Pantom Vision FC200.lcp already exists and does not allow me to overwrite the existing file. This total foreign to me, so any detailed help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

AnselA said:
Windows 8 & LR 5.3 made these:
Now it works :D

That works with Windows 7 too. Thanks for that

I reworded what you said to include the exact steps I took to get it working in Photoshop CC which were:

In Windows Explorer go to C:\Program Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\DJI
copy the file PHANTOMVISION FC200.lcp which is in that directory (make sure to copy only the file, not the DJI directory with the file in it)
go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded
Paste the copied file, so that the path is now:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp
Then rename the file extension from PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp to PHANTOM VISION FC200.txt (ignore the WIndows warning)
Open the .txt file in Notepad
Look in the text for "stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" which is on the sixth line down after the Camera Model description
Change that 'False' to 'True' so that you end up with "stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"
Save the file (it will still be a .txt file of course)
Rename the file from PHANTOM VISION FC200.txt back to PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp (again, ignore the WIndows warning) and, that's it done.
Now open a DNG image in ACR, click on the Lens Profile icon and job's a good 'un

PS.
I just realised that I've been showing my age by using the word 'directory' above instead of 'folder' but I'm sure you guys knew what I meant :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka