New Firmware Released for Phantom Vision

For those people who are disappointed with the Vision camera maybe have a look at the video posted by Grotchester in this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6620

In the video they attach a sony action cam to the side of the vision camera. Its small so it pans up and down as you move the vision camera. Ok so you cannot control the action cam direct but assuming it has a time lapse mode you could at least frame the shot using the vision camera. No idea if the sensor in the sony camera is better or not but its an interesting possibility if the alternative is scrapping the Vision.

hilitephoto said:
Dang it...I gotta agree... I'm disappointed. Anything zoomed over 50% is a waste. Ah well what do expect for $1,200? :?:

I expect much more! Those files aren't nearly as good as any pocket camera I have ever seen! Much less a jpg out of a SLR. Those RAW (ding) files are better than the jpgs from my Vision though. But not by much. I would be embarrassed to even attempt to sell a picture from the files from my Vision. Mine is going back. Flying Camera? BAH!

For real? Did you really expect a camera worth of $200 (probably not even that) to be professional in quality? For the $1200 I think that P2V is great bundle of quad and camera! I'm in astrophotography where one camera can easily cost $50K.

PropsPete said:
hilitephoto said:
Dang it...I gotta agree... I'm disappointed. Anything zoomed over 50% is a waste. Ah well what do expect for $1,200? :?:

I expect much more! Those files aren't nearly as good as any pocket camera I have ever seen! Much less a jpg out of a SLR. Those RAW (ding) files are better than the jpgs from my Vision though. But not by much. I would be embarrassed to even attempt to sell a picture from the files from my Vision. Mine is going back. Flying Camera? BAH!

For real? Did you really expect a camera worth of $200 (probably not even that) to be professional in quality? For the $1200 I think that P2V is great bundle of quad and camera! I'm in astrophotography where one camera can easily cost $50K.
I had hoped the pictures would be about as good as my iPhone 5 pix. They aren't. Blurry and grainy.

Yep. The noise is awful, plus it captures very little detail (and I've only shot the stills at 100 ISO in bright sunlight!)

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini smartphone (which has received much criticism for its mediocre camera) and the DNG photos from the Vision aren't even as good as the jpegs from that which is a sad indictment.

Personally, I never expected "professional quality" however you want to define that, but I did expect as good or better than a smartphone or my wife's five year old Canon Ixus 95 which cost around £200 and gives exceptional quality images (certainly good enough to get great prints at A4). Don't forget that the Vision has no zoom lens and no aperture settings (i.e. adjustable diaphragm), so it has nowhere near the complexity of a normal compact camera, nor therefore the cost.

Now that I'm able to process RAW files, I'm sending some sample photos back to my supplier today with a complaint about the performance. Maybe I've just got a duff example; we'll see.

IMHO, the Phantom2 Vision is amazing technology in terms of its abilities regarding flight, GPS, etc. but, based on my example, its camera is a huge let down and doesn't in any way meet the promotional claims of DJI that it's an "INTEGRATED HIGH END CAMERA" (that's not me shouting, that's a direct copy and paste from the DJI website)

Peter Evans said:
Yep. The noise is awful, plus it captures very little detail (and I've only shot the stills at 100 ISO in bright sunlight!)
Is possible that you got one of the first batch that has soft focus issue ?

urgno said:
Is possible that you got one of the first batch that has soft focus issue ?

Well I suppose so. I only received it on Thursday but of course the dealer could have had it in stock for a long time.

dastagg said:
It appears I may have a problem with my update. I downloaded the file and unzipped as instructions and the file was named "firmware.bin". I copied the .bin file to the mini card with everything turned off. I inserted the card and turned on the battery and the led flashed yellow a few seconds and stopped flashing. Can't remember for sure, but think it turned green? Anyway, I went outside to test the system out and I now cannot connect to the DJI app in camera mode. The app works fine, but get error message saying it failed connection to camera. It shows to be connected to the wifi on the app but when going to camera, it shows that the connection has failed. I tried multiple times and turned everything off and back on and still the same. The Phantom Vision seems to fly ok, but does not connect to the camera. The camera is on wifi and the app shows connected to wifi.

I decided to try to re-update by deleting the file on the card, which the name changed as others state on the mini card to firmware.bin.bak00. I deleted the file and recopied the firmware.bin file and tried to update again, and started flashing yellow as instructions say, but it has been over an hour at this time and still flashing yellow. It does not go to flashing red as a failed update, but doesn't stop flashing yellow as it is supposed to. It seemed strange that the original update only took less than 5 seconds before showing as complete, but now it appears I may have other issues. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to stop the process or it may need the factory reset according to instructions.

Update: stopped due to low battery and tried again and no go. Tried a Bind procedure but no help. Camera appears to not be working as all other seems to work fine and by indication of instructions, firmware updated correctly since it did stop properly without fail and file name did change per instructions. I now seem to have a brick.

Hi,
Is there any solution for this problem? I have the same problem since yesterday. Pls help.

I feel your pain Peter Evans,its funny because i thought the same thing.....the camera cant be as bad as a smartphone...but oh yes....IT IS!!. :x but its all good,cool little toy...yes toy,not tool anymore,fucken expensive toy aswell lol.
good idea about the action cam aswell...
i think its quite clear where we all stand with this camera fc 200 P.O.S.

michaelpoland said:
dastagg said:
It appears I may have a problem with my update. I downloaded the file and unzipped as instructions and the file was named "firmware.bin". I copied the .bin file to the mini card with everything turned off. I inserted the card and turned on the battery and the led flashed yellow a few seconds and stopped flashing. Can't remember for sure, but think it turned green? Anyway, I went outside to test the system out and I now cannot connect to the DJI app in camera mode. The app works fine, but get error message saying it failed connection to camera. It shows to be connected to the wifi on the app but when going to camera, it shows that the connection has failed. I tried multiple times and turned everything off and back on and still the same. The Phantom Vision seems to fly ok, but does not connect to the camera. The camera is on wifi and the app shows connected to wifi.

I decided to try to re-update by deleting the file on the card, which the name changed as others state on the mini card to firmware.bin.bak00. I deleted the file and recopied the firmware.bin file and tried to update again, and started flashing yellow as instructions say, but it has been over an hour at this time and still flashing yellow. It does not go to flashing red as a failed update, but doesn't stop flashing yellow as it is supposed to. It seemed strange that the original update only took less than 5 seconds before showing as complete, but now it appears I may have other issues. Any suggestions? I'm afraid to stop the process or it may need the factory reset according to instructions.

Update: stopped due to low battery and tried again and no go. Tried a Bind procedure but no help. Camera appears to not be working as all other seems to work fine and by indication of instructions, firmware updated correctly since it did stop properly without fail and file name did change per instructions. I now seem to have a brick.

Hi,
Is there any solution for this problem? I have the same problem since yesterday. Pls help.

I have started trying to call DJI support number but no answer as of yet (says to keep trying, high demand). Doesn't let me leave a message. I wrote to customer support just now and will wait to see. I just bought my Phantom Vision 10 days ago from Amazon and if no answer by end of today, it is going back for a replacement, but would rather resolve by doing something without sending back if possible. I will advise, but sounds like most of the folks are having no problem with update, but I have a brick for a camera and I precisely followed the instructions and sure appears the firmware update was made.....just doesn't work by indications of file name change and it showed a positive update after installing the first time. The second try, didn't appear to really try to update, it just blinked and blinked until battery died but no change was made to system or file on the card. Sorry you are having issue also and although most have been successful, mine sure didn't take the update well. I even tried using the app on my iPad as a second app to try and got same failed message.

Update on Firmware Bricking my camera:
I called and called and finally got an answer to the phone after many tries. I talked to the guy on the phone and he was most responsive and had me turn everything back on again. I did so and lo and behold, it worked this time. After a hundred tries yesterday, rebooting by turning off all power on everything, resetting and binding the system and didn't work yesterday, it worked the first time I tried when I had the man on the phone. Talking about sucking eggs....... Anyway, he said that is not entirely abnormal and recommended to always start by starting the wifi extender first, starting the transmitter second, starting the aircraft third and last start the phone app. He also recommended to fully close the app each time when finished using the aircraft.

Not sure what made a difference in it working today, other than a good nights sleep but can say that I was able to reach support by phone after a lot of tries and the man was most helpful with support, which help ease my mind as I have the original phantom also and never had a problem in the past with it up until now with the Vision. Hope it continues to work and at least I know that it does or will work, so hopefully others can have same success as I was just about to give up and request a replacement from Amazon, but all appears ok and do know that they do have a level of customer support that can be reached, just don't give up on the calls.

michaelpoland said:

DJI's instructions: "Get a clean Micro-SD card". I "cleaned" the SD card by formatting (Vision app) it in the camera, powered camera OFF, moved SD card to card reader in computer, copied firmware.bin to the card, software ejected the card, removed the card from reader, inserted in camera, powered camera ON. Upgrade worked as expected.

Blackdragan said:
After you edit PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp file, how do you save the text edited file as a .lcp? When I hit save in the text editor it just shows the PHANTOM VISION FC200 file as a text file and I do not see a way to change it to a .lcp. If I try to save it as a text file it just says the Pantom Vision FC200.lcp already exists and does not allow me to overwrite the existing file. This total foreign to me, so any detailed help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

You need to change the file extension to .lcp after you save it. (Use "Get Info" on a Mac).

Or, just download the modified .lcp file I put in Dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1921655/PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp

If it won't allow you to overwrite the existing file try saving it to your desktop first, deleting the original, and moving the one from your desktop to the proper location.

So where do we go from here, as much as I enjoy flying the P2V it is obviously never going to have exceptional image quality. The construction companies I work for are enjoying the construction progress photos I am generating with it I'm pretty sure the architects would never accept its output. So what's the next step if better images are desired. I don't know much about the RC hobby and I don't need to get a DSLR into the air but is there something out there that's set up for a better camera than a GoPro and gives us the type a camera interface like the P2V. I would really appreciate some guidance, Thanks.

68gtconv said:
So where do we go from here, as much as I enjoy flying the P2V it is obviously never going to have exceptional image quality. The construction companies I work for are enjoying the construction progress photos I am generating with it I'm pretty sure the architects would never accept its output. So what's the next step if better images are desired. I don't know much about the RC hobby and I don't need to get a DSLR into the air but is there something out there that's set up for a better camera than a GoPro and gives us the type a camera interface like the P2V. I would really appreciate some guidance, Thanks.

Take a look at Sony RX100 II.

Drone Expert make a complet kit with Gimbal and everything, take a look here:
http://dronexpert.nl/product/dji-ph...e-shutter-integrated-hdmi-to-video-converter/

Well.......another firmware update update! I tried to fly it this evening and camera seemed OK at first. Noticed the screen was somewhat bright upon first starting everything and took off with quad. Took a quick photo with new RAW and after what seemed a long time, photo was taken and iPhone screen got very bright, I couldn't even fly by the screen. Took another photo and screen went black and never recovered. Landed and killed everything and restarted everything per suggested order and camera once again failed as original problem of failure to connect. Tried a few more times and same thing. That was enough for me! I went to Amazon website and ordered a replacement return item. Boxed everything up and shipping back for a replacement. Problem is I am now gun shy about updating firmware when I get my replacement, but am surely going to update when it arrives, just a little gun shy, although most all have not had any issues. I need this to be dependable for my work needs, thus reson for ordering after I already have the original Phantom, but this one has screen to fly with to see camera view as taking photos or video.

I am using this for work photos for some construction photos and although, not near quality as my Canon 5D Mk III, it will suffice for what is needed and can improve some with RAW as I adjust with RAW on my land camera already.

Peter Evans said:
That works with Windows 7 too. Thanks for that

I reworded what you said to include the exact steps I took to get it working in Photoshop CC which were:

In Windows Explorer go to C:\Program Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\DJI
copy the file PHANTOMVISION FC200.lcp which is in that directory (make sure to copy only the file, not the DJI directory with the file in it)
go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded
Paste the copied file, so that the path is now:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Downloaded\PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp
Then rename the file extension from PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp to PHANTOM VISION FC200.txt (ignore the WIndows warning)
Open the .txt file in Notepad
Look in the text for "stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False" which is on the sixth line down after the Camera Model description
Change that 'False' to 'True' so that you end up with "stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"
Save the file (it will still be a .txt file of course)
Rename the file from PHANTOM VISION FC200.txt back to PHANTOM VISION FC200.lcp (again, ignore the WIndows warning) and, that's it done.
Now open a DNG image in ACR, click on the Lens Profile icon and job's a good 'un

PS.
I just realised that I've been showing my age by using the word 'directory' above instead of 'folder' but I'm sure you guys knew what I meant :D

Here is how to have the ability for Lightroom to access the Camera Correction Profile for .jpg and .dng.

Copy the .lcp listed above so you have 2 copies in the same directory. Name them as below with the following changes.

DNG (RAW)
"Phantom Vision FC200 RAW.lcp"
stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"

JPG
"Phantom Vision FC200.lcp"
stCamera:CameraRawProfile="False"

dastagg said:
Update on Firmware Bricking my camera:
I called and called and finally got an answer to the phone after many tries. I talked to the guy on the phone and he was most responsive and had me turn everything back on again. I did so and lo and behold, it worked this time. After a hundred tries yesterday, rebooting by turning off all power on everything, resetting and binding the system and didn't work yesterday, it worked the first time I tried when I had the man on the phone. Talking about sucking eggs....... Anyway, he said that is not entirely abnormal and recommended to always start by starting the wifi extender first, starting the transmitter second, starting the aircraft third and last start the phone app. He also recommended to fully close the app each time when finished using the aircraft.

Not sure what made a difference in it working today, other than a good nights sleep but can say that I was able to reach support by phone after a lot of tries and the man was most helpful with support, which help ease my mind as I have the original phantom also and never had a problem in the past with it up until now with the Vision. Hope it continues to work and at least I know that it does or will work, so hopefully others can have same success as I was just about to give up and request a replacement from Amazon, but all appears ok and do know that they do have a level of customer support that can be reached, just don't give up on the calls.

Dear Dastag,
I will try 1000 times today again :) Did you asked the support about "camera factory reset" procedure?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart