My thoughts on breaking the rules.

Almost makes you wonder if a licence should be required before purchase. Not to make it prohibitive, just to ensure commitment. Weed out the joy-flyers. I dunno.
At best it would be a written web test, we have no infrastructure to test every drone owner.

Even if some test was given, it doesn't mean that just because they took the test that they wouldn't go flying above 400 feet or fly out of line of sight. A test is just a test to show you know the rules. People here know the rules and still do what they do.

Reactions: rlphoto69
A completely valid point. Let me tell you where i'm coming from with my comments...

One day i went out to a spot to do a quick flight (followed all the rules), get a couple photos and i had a couple friends wiht me who wanted to check out the drone, and then this random person comes up to me and starts grilling me.........

"Have you called the airport, you know your supposed to call the airport when your within 5 miles, people will report you, but not me i'm just telling you. Your not allowed to fly over 400 feet, and you have to make sure the drone is in visual sight the whole time , people will report you, and you can get in trouble, but i'm not going to report you.......and on and on"

I did absolutly nothing wrong, and this was my experience with people preaching about the rules and regulations.

Honestly, it infuriated me...

1) i was just there to do a quick flight, i did obey all the rules, and
2) it was pretty embarrassing b/c i had friends with me and i'm sure it turned them off to wanting to get a drone themselves b/c of what they witnessed that day.

It rubbed me in such a wrong way, b/c someone should never assume that we dont know the rules. Everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I apologize if my post seemed to be negative towards your comments, that was not my intention.
I appreciate that. I know there are several people out there that have nothing better to do than to see a drone and immediately report us. I never realized it till I got one and maybe you guys are right and maybe this wasn't the place to bring this subject up. You're right, everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt. My intentions was not to offend anyone and my apologizes if I did.

Reactions: Suhail78
I hate people that break the rules so bad, that I'd like to break the rules and put a flamethrower on my p4, and teach them a lesson... just kidding. Why would I care what other people do?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I hate people that break the rules so bad, that I'd like to break the rules and put a flamethrower on my p4, and teach them a lesson... just kidding. Why would I care what other people do?

And that is exactly the point. We can pontificate until the cows come home about drone responsibility and the consequences of an individual's actions, but you can never rule out how an unexpected drone event will pan out. Inexperience, hardware malfunction, intentional actions all create hazards and the current rules and regulations are designed and modified to reflect community standards. I routinely 'break' the rules when I fly in my area due to the almost non existence of aircraft (once a month in my area), very few people and an endless area to fly. I take all the usual precautions (drone pre start, settings, weather) and off I go. Whilst I am responsible for my actions, I personally couldn't care less what other people do. Bigger fish to fry.

At best it would be a written web test, we have no infrastructure to test every drone owner.

Just like that. Same as we do here for a Pleasure-craft Operators License, required to operate a boat. Just enough to discourage anyone who isn't interested in operating it "seriously". Complete the required reading, write the test, print a card, get a permanent one in the mail.

At least then law enforcement would have a point of conversation if they are called by a complainant. I think that would actually work in our favour; especially if you can show you have a card and some level of awareness/training.

Just one thought of many.

Just like that. Same as we do here for a Pleasure-craft Operators License, required to operate a boat. Just enough to discourage anyone who isn't interested in operating it "seriously". Complete the required reading, write the test, print a card, get a permanent one in the mail.

I don't have to have a boaters card because I was born knowing how to use a boat safely (before July 1, 1972).

From being on the water I can say it is evident that having a card doesn't make anyone safer. The state does pocket a nice $30 for it. I am surprised it is only $30 though.

Freedom comes at a cost, and one of those costs is that someone will abuse it. I don't think there is much that can be done to stop people from abusing it up front. Once they do we should be bringing full enforcement down on them, but we won't because we might hurt their self esteem.

I don't have to have a boaters card because I was born knowing how to use a boat safely (before July 1, 1972).

From being on the water I can say it is evident that having a card doesn't make anyone safer. The state does pocket a nice $30 for it. I am surprised it is only $30 though.

Freedom comes at a cost, and one of those costs is that someone will abuse it. I don't think there is much that can be done to stop people from abusing it up front. Once they do we should be bringing full enforcement down on them, but we won't because we might hurt their self esteem.

Trust me, I know and I agree. I was also born on the water but there is no exemption here...

I haven't gone to the trouble yet because now it's a 3 hour online investment and I haven't taken the time. I do know that it discourages me from operating boats in the mean time and I'm applying the same analogy to this.

BUT, that's because I care and have a conscience. So no, that does t solve the problem of those that don't.

What's really funny is that I see a lot of this "holier than thou" attitude online, lately. I've had talks with family and my employees about where to focus all that misspent energy.
It's ludicrous to call somebody out on their faults, or a mistake, when your house isn't absolutely perfect....

What's really funny is that I see a lot of this "holier than thou" attitude online, lately. I've had talks with family and my employees about where to focus all that misspent energy.
It's ludicrous to call somebody out on their faults, or a mistake, when your house isn't absolutely perfect....

It's not just here...

I think a chunk of it comes from social media. All that viral trending outrage...

Reactions: jwmcgrath

The point of licensing is that it allows revocation of privilege specific to the offending people. You can't ban idiots from flying drones now, you can only fine them and then restrict everyone. Once something is licensed, people need to take some responsibility for their actions or risk losing the privilege of engaging in the activity.

The point of licensing is that it allows revocation of privilege specific to the offending people. You can't ban idiots from flying drones now, you can only fine them and then restrict everyone. Once something is licensed, people need to take some responsibility for their actions or risk losing the privilege of engaging in the activity.

Do you honestly think that lacking a license means people won't engage in an activity?

If your assertion was correct the state wouldn't have made an arbitrary cutoff, they would have required everyone to have a license if they operate a boat.

Do you honestly think that lacking a license means people won't engage in an activity?

Of course. Not having a driver's licenses prevents people from driving. Not having a pilot's license prevents people from flying. Not having a hunting license prevents people from hunting. Does it prevent EVERYONE from EVER breaking the rules ANY of the time? Of course not. But if your unrealistic standard is absolute prevention or nothing... then there's no point in having any laws.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Hi everyone, Just wanted to express some thoughts on much of what I've been reading lately. I'm a new P4P owner and almost at a point where I'm sorry that I invested the money into this hobby because of what may come in the future. First off, this site has been great and everyone has been so helpful whenever you have a technical issue or can't figure something out. What is bugging me is that many are posting things they have done or want to try and do and they know it's against the rules or they know it's pushing the issue. For example this guy.
Anyone thought about doing this....
Not saying he did it, but obviously the thought is in his mind.

Sorry but that guy is "me" and just so you know I don't actually live in america and it was just a fun topic I created. Please don't read everything as 100% truthful on the net [emoji6]

Neon Euc

Neon..
IMG_7557.GIF

I am getting sick of reading all the posts here people are worried, mad, confused and the like. IF YOU DONT LIKE FLYING A DRONE UNDER THE CURRENT CONDITIONS (legal and social)...SELL THE FRIGGIN THING AND START ANOTHER HOBBY.

end of rant...

Reactions: rebelyellNC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl