My thoughts on breaking the rules.

Have a drone myself and just don't want to see the hobby destroyed or severely regulated.

...and it will get there. Sadly. That's why I got in now... to try and have as much fun before it's over regulated as I can, because it IS fun.

And the worst part is that I truly enjoy the mechanics of it... the technology, the interaction between man, tech and machine, the learning curve, developing my own skill set and building on it... the FLYING part.

But what is the perception? Not any of that. The "flying camera" part. The spying part. All the bad stuff.

And why is that?! Well isn't that just a whole topic itself...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

...and it will get there. Sadly. That's why I got in now... to try and have as much fun before it's over regulated as I can, because it IS fun.

And the worst part is that I truly enjoy the mechanics of it... the technology, the interaction between man, tech and machine, the learning curve, developing my own skill set and building on it... the FLYING part.

But what is the perception? Not any of that. The "flying camera" part. The spying part. All the bad stuff.

And why is that?! Well isn't that just a whole topic itself...

I totally agree with "And the worst part is that I truly enjoy the mechanics of it... the technology, the interaction between man, tech and machine, the learning curve, developing my own skill set and building on it... the FLYING part."
This is what keeps me enjoying the hobby, also it keeps me inspired(no pun intended), to continue my love of the great outdoors, and photography.

It is my opinion that this UAV industry and its associated technology is growing at such a rapid pace, the FAA (and other nation's regulatory agencies) are really struggling to keep up with it in regards to regulations. Because of this, I do worry that very restrictive rules could be put into place by the FAA just to maintain a sense of control over something that is growing at an exponential rate - after all, the safety and regulatory control of the US airspace system is their responsibility.

As such, I do think that the OP has posed a question that is worth discussing, because doing so is a great initial step toward we as hobbyists, enthusiasts, and commercial operators 'policing' ourselves.

When I watch a video or read through a discussion involving what would seem to be the use of a UAV in violation of the rules as I understand them, I try to remain non-judgemental, because I generally do not know the full circumstances involved. That said, I think that questioning such use in a non-judgmental fashion is something that would only serve to enhance the safety of this hobby / industry for all of us and the general public.

I think that it is also very probable that many individuals entering into this hobby are completely unaware of the rules, and although one would hope that common sense would prevail, the mere fact that this can be such an exciting and interesting technology to enjoy may often result in common sense being disregarded on a psychological level. We see this almost every day here on the forum, where a question is asked about some basic system operation or behavior that is very well described in the manual, clearly implying that the manual was never read. Instead, the system was simply un-boxed, batteries charged, software updated (maybe), and up it was sent. I'm not judging these folks, but rather, I'm saying that I understand this. So many aspects of these systems are very thrilling, and I think that this sense of thrill causes many to never read the 'small print'.

Lastly, I realize that this is a sensitive topic here on the forum, but I guess it would be my wish and hope that when somebody wants to discuss the rules and regulation related to these systems on this forum - in a non-judgemental fashion - they would only be applauded for doing so. Anything other than this will only discourage discussions regarding the rules, and in my opinion, this is a subject that should be frequently discussed.

It is my opinion that this UAV industry and its associated technology is growing at such a rapid pace, the FAA (and other nation's regulatory agencies) are really struggling to keep up with it in regards to regulations. Because of this, I do worry that very restrictive rules could be put into place by the FAA just to maintain a sense of control over something that is growing at an exponential rate - after all, the safety and regulatory control of the US airspace system is their responsibility.

As such, I do think that the OP has posed a question that is worth discussing, because doing so is a great initial step toward we as hobbyists, enthusiasts, and commercial operators 'policing' ourselves.

When I watch a video or read through a discussion involving what would seem to be the use of a UAV in violation of the rules as I understand them, I try to remain non-judgemental, because I generally do not know the full circumstances involved. That said, I think that questioning such use in a non-judgmental fashion is something that would only serve to enhance the safety of this hobby / industry for all of us and the general public.

I think that it is also very probable that many individuals entering into this hobby are completely unaware of the rules, and although one would hope that common sense would prevail, the mere fact that this can be such an exciting and interesting technology to enjoy may often result in common sense being disregarded on a psychological level. We see this almost every day here on the forum, where a question is asked about some basic system operation or behavior that is very well described in the manual, clearly implying that the manual was never read. Instead, the system was simply un-boxed, batteries charged, software updated (maybe), and up it was sent. I'm not judging these folks, but rather, I'm saying that I understand this. So many aspects of these systems are very thrilling, and I think that this sense of thrill causes many to never read the 'small print'.

Lastly, I realize that this is a sensitive topic here on the forum, but I guess it would be my wish and hope that when somebody wants to discuss the rules and regulation related to these systems on this forum - in a non-judgemental fashion - they would only be applauded for doing so. Anything other than this will only discourage discussions regarding the rules, and in my opinion, this is a subject that should be frequently discussed.
I have got to agree wholeheartedly, yes we have all seen posts from users who clearly have not done the research, and we have seen the responses from the "Old hands", who are usually very polite and helpful.
We have a responsibility to promote good practice and this forum is very good at that, the OP is right to raise the issue.

The point I was simply trying to point out is yes, people should have consequences to their actions, but as you should well know sometimes not just one is punished but indeed the whole class is punished for one persons actions. I haven't and wouldn't report anyone unless it indeed was someone purposely causing dangerous actions.

A completely valid point. Let me tell you where i'm coming from with my comments...

One day i went out to a spot to do a quick flight (followed all the rules), get a couple photos and i had a couple friends wiht me who wanted to check out the drone, and then this random person comes up to me and starts grilling me.........

"Have you called the airport, you know your supposed to call the airport when your within 5 miles, people will report you, but not me i'm just telling you. Your not allowed to fly over 400 feet, and you have to make sure the drone is in visual sight the whole time , people will report you, and you can get in trouble, but i'm not going to report you.......and on and on"

I did absolutly nothing wrong, and this was my experience with people preaching about the rules and regulations.

Honestly, it infuriated me...

1) i was just there to do a quick flight, i did obey all the rules, and
2) it was pretty embarrassing b/c i had friends with me and i'm sure it turned them off to wanting to get a drone themselves b/c of what they witnessed that day.

It rubbed me in such a wrong way, b/c someone should never assume that we dont know the rules. Everyone should be given the benefit of the doubt.

I apologize if my post seemed to be negative towards your comments, that was not my intention.

Reactions: rlphoto69
A case in point... Just saw on the news..The government of Iran has prohibited all civilian drones within the city of Tehran. One pilot flew a drone too close to the wrong building. A building where the Ayatollahs hang out. So, no flying in that whole city.
This is what happens when one pilot breaks the rules. Governments freak!! They don't just punish the rule breaker, they make rules that affect all pilots.
Chief: I believe you unintentionally proved a point you didn't plan on. These fellows get on here and crow about breaking/not breaking laws/rules etc. etc. etc.

But the question is...Whose fripping rules to begin with? In our modern world very few rules are altruistic and really aimed at the good of mankind, and in fact are usually created with little or no voice from those affected by the new wonderful rule. And if the truth were known, the rule/law might be suspected of benefiting the ones who made it. Case in point, no flying in all of Tehran because someone got too close to the supreme emperor's favorite whorehouse. B U T now it is the law, right? Benefits all people fairly, right? A sin against humanity to even post on a forum you might like to break it right?

Well, anyway, you see my point.

We see this almost every day here on the forum, where a question is asked about some basic system operation or behavior that is very well described in the manual, clearly implying that the manual was never read. Instead, the system was simply un-boxed, batteries charged, software updated (maybe), and up it was sent.

You made a few excellent points but this one in particular stood out to me, because it's my contention that not only is this true, but the LAST thing that should have been included in the box is a "quick start" guide.

Last edited:
A case in point... Just saw on the news..The government of Iran has prohibited all civilian drones within the city of Tehran. One pilot flew a drone too close to the wrong building. A building where the Ayatollahs hang out. So, no flying in that whole city.
This is what happens when one pilot breaks the rules. Governments freak!! They don't just punish the rule breaker, they make rules that affect all pilots.

Yes, because the Iranian government is a case study in reasonable and incremental measures with regards to behaviors.

Reactions: kirk2579
Two quick thoughts on this:
1) We might be at peak regulation now. Once there are rules and technologies to allow greater situational awareness I think there will be a loosening of VLOS, night flying and other rules. This will require greater tech, but it's prolly coming.

and

2) Law enforcement is already abusing its authority re: drones. There are a number of stories out there of LE getting TFRs to prevent news coverage by drones. This has to be watched carefully. The FAA should make it easier for news photographers to get waivers to cover news events, especially when it's obvious that there is little danger in anyone getting hurt. The First Amendment is a value, too.

Related to this are the cases of law enforcement - or anyone else - shooting drones out of the sky. Right now enforcement actions against shooters is left to local law enforcement. But who enforces against the law enforcers? The FAA DOES need an enforcement division to hold local law enforcement accountable for the felony of shooting down an aircraft (i.e. a drone).

I agree with that, and please don't misunderstand me, i'm not advocating the breaking of any rules at all.

Im just not enthusiastic about people coming here to preach to others about what to do and what not to do.

If someone breaks the rules they should suffer the consequences.

what i would rather see is someone coming here and posting about how they got caught breaking the rules and what the results of that was, i feel that would be a much better way to discourage people from doing the wrong thing.

The problem is that too many people are either ignorant of the law or are outright scofflaws.

Reactions: Bendix
2) Law enforcement is already abusing its authority re: drones. There are a number of stories out there of LE getting TFRs to prevent news coverage by drones. This has to be watched carefully. The FAA should make it easier for news photographers to get waivers to cover news events, especially when it's obvious that there is little danger in anyone getting hurt. The First Amendment is a value, too.
I know we harp on the media coverage of drones but it may well be the media that eventually takes a 1st amendment case all the way to the SCOTUS.

I know we harp on the media coverage of drones but it may well be the media that eventually takes a 1st amendment case all the way to the SCOTUS.

Hey, I'll be the first to agree that sensationalistic media is the bane of a civilized existence, but I stop short of "blaming" them... it's the viewers and the ratings that drive them in that direction.

Again, the problem is "people".

Reactions: rlphoto69
The annoying thing is people like you who would rather rant and rave about other people.

JUST WORRY ABOUT YOURSELF.

As long as your not breaking the rules or doing dumb ****, then why worry about what others are doing? Yeah we all enjoy the hobby, and dont want anything to change that, but at the same time, let people live and deal with the consequences of their own actions.

Some people just need to lighten up. Dont be the guy to call and report someone for flying at 401 ft.

Well said. I am 100 percent in agreement. Everyone here knows the rules. Worry about your own behavior and stop worrying about things you do not control..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont you worry it will get stricter as more and more people have access to those drones
Just look at countries like sweden (not a donald fib)
They basically don't allow any drones with cameras on unless you have a special permit which is nearly impossible to get
People always break the rules whether in traffic or guns etc so it will not be question of if just when
Unfortunately

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers