My thoughts on breaking the rules.

The Chinese are certainly leading the way in these technologies ... And if the West continues to insist on trying to ban and curtail drone use, the further behind they will get unless they embrace it

The Chinese are certainly leading the way in these technologies ... And if the West continues to insist on trying to ban and curtail drone use, the further behind they will get unless they embrace it
^This.

The Chinese are ascending with this technology, and we are playing the part of the Roman Empire.

Note the Chinese population is not obsessed with who can go into which bathrooms, and spending so much time, energy, and resources on idiotic stuff like that.

No, they're advancing what sure looks to be akin to the computing revolution the US led 50 years ago.

I'm scared for my kids' futures.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
This is ridiculous. The US has created the world's largest and safest airspace system. The Chinese lead the way in nothing when it comes to aviation safety.

I think he meant leading the way with drone development.
That's what I meant.

We're doing a whole lot of navel-gazing these days, while those much hungrier than us are leaving us behind. And they've got the accelerator pressed to the floor.

Meanwhile, we now not only allow but encourage college students to skip class, or in some cases the classes themselves are canceled, to accommodate political "grief", participate in political protest, etc.

I'll betcha this: Chinese foreign students not only do not waste their valuable university time on such trivialities, I'll bet they're going to be deselecting US universities in the future that support this nonsense.

We are in big trouble, folks. Really big trouble.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Hi everyone, Just wanted to express some thoughts on much of what I've been reading lately. I'm a new P4P owner and almost at a point where I'm sorry that I invested the money into this hobby because of what may come in the future. First off, this site has been great and everyone has been so helpful whenever you have a technical issue or can't figure something out. What is bugging me is that many are posting things they have done or want to try and do and they know it's against the rules or they know it's pushing the issue. For example this guy.
Anyone thought about doing this....
Not saying he did it, but obviously the thought is in his mind. People wanting to fly near airports, break the 400 ft rule, flying over events and stadiums and crowds etc.... The list goes on. There are millions of areas you can fly, be safe and not either get in trouble or piss someone off. What this is creating is an anger towards drones from the general public and worse is to make the FAA create more rules, regulations and get things to a point where you won't be able to fly anywhere other than your back yard. I work in aviation and have had a close call in a helicopter where some idiot with a drone was well within the restricted airspace near the airport and well over 400 ft. Then, you see people post their illegal flights they have done and then wine when law enforcement comes and takes their equipment and slaps them with huge FAA fines etc. well hello, you deserve what's coming to you. I'm just asking that we all think first so what hopefully has been a fun hobby so far doesn't get ruined. Would gladly like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Hi,
I was just a couple miles away form an airport and trying to take some pictures of a roof and chimney for work. I got a couple of pictures and then the camera and phone screen locked up saying that I might be in a no fly zone. THere was a place for me to check off that I knew this and i thought it would unlock the camera but it didn't. Again I wasn't that near the airport and I was at about 50ft tops. The drone could fly but I couldn't take any pictures or video. Was I doing something wrong? Is there a way to unlock the camera in this situation?

Hi everyone, Just wanted to express some thoughts on much of what I've been reading lately. I'm a new P4P owner and almost at a point where I'm sorry that I invested the money into this hobby because of what may come in the future. First off, this site has been great and everyone has been so helpful whenever you have a technical issue or can't figure something out. What is bugging me is that many are posting things they have done or want to try and do and they know it's against the rules or they know it's pushing the issue. For example this guy.
Anyone thought about doing this....
Not saying he did it, but obviously the thought is in his mind. People wanting to fly near airports, break the 400 ft rule, flying over events and stadiums and crowds etc.... The list goes on. There are millions of areas you can fly, be safe and not either get in trouble or piss someone off. What this is creating is an anger towards drones from the general public and worse is to make the FAA create more rules, regulations and get things to a point where you won't be able to fly anywhere other than your back yard. I work in aviation and have had a close call in a helicopter where some idiot with a drone was well within the restricted airspace near the airport and well over 400 ft. Then, you see people post their illegal flights they have done and then wine when law enforcement comes and takes their equipment and slaps them with huge FAA fines etc. well hello, you deserve what's coming to you. I'm just asking that we all think first so what hopefully has been a fun hobby so far doesn't get ruined. Would gladly like to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I agree. I want to be an ambassador for safe flying and keeping our airspace safe. I have a temporary remote pilot's license. I studied, took the test, and will continue to follow the Part107 rules. Eventually, FAA will have a system in place that will discourage others from unsafe flight. We are still in the early stages of sUAS's.

Cars are powerful and can be dangerous if misused. Same with drones.

You operate a car from INSIDE the car. Totally different in terms of situational awareness, control, and the ability to handle an emergency situation. Do you honestly think that you'd ever be allowed to operate a full-sized remote controlled car on the public streets? Just look at all the scrutiny that is being given to autonomous cars and how badly things could go if they malfunctioned. You'll also note that there are incredibly strict rules and regulations for manned aircraft pilots and airplanes in general that make the rules for drones look quite accommodating.

Reactions: Nowelly
Cars are powerful and can be dangerous if misused. Same with drones. They've already designed a system to deal with cars. I really don't see why they don't just implement the same system for drones.

You operate a car from INSIDE the car. Totally different in terms of situational awareness, control, and the ability to handle an emergency situation. Do you honestly think that you'd ever be allowed to operate a full-sized remote controlled car on the public streets? Just look at all the scrutiny that is being given to autonomous cars and how badly things could go if they malfunctioned. You'll also note that there are incredibly strict rules and regulations for manned aircraft pilots and airplanes in general that make the rules for drones look quite accommodating.

Does that somehow make my statement wrong? Do you disagree that both cars and drones can be dangerous if misused?

Does that somehow make my statement wrong? Do you disagree that both cars and drones can be dangerous if misused?

I agree that both are dangerous if misused, but I do not agree that they are at all equal in terms of risk. Anything can be misused, but misusing a pencil and misusing a gun have far different implications.

I agree that both are dangerous if misused, but I do not agree that they are at all equal in terms of risk. Anything can be misused, but misusing a pencil and misusing a gun have far different implications.
The PENcil is mightier than the sward ;)

^This.

The Chinese are ascending with this technology, and we are playing the part of the Roman Empire.

Note the Chinese population is not obsessed with who can go into which bathrooms, and spending so much time, energy, and resources on idiotic stuff like that.

No, they're advancing what sure looks to be akin to the computing revolution the US led 50 years ago.

I'm scared for my kids' futures.

Why are you scared for your kids futures? International relations and diplomacy determine the quality of your kids futures, not who has the best drone tech. It is worth pointing out that the US spends more on defence than the next 12 nations combined and also has a nuclear deterence capable of triggering an extinction level event. China does not have that, the US does. Now, I am not saying that the US has bad intentions at all times, but, in terms of "who invades who", "who attacks who", "who goes to war against who", The US and European countries have been doing that sort of thing the most, not China or even Russia, so the paranoia and stoked up fear is a smoke screen. This happened in Europe and in the US during the cold war, and the propaganda was truly ridiculous (I don't know if you can remember the fear of imminent nuclear war that our governments used to drum up and fill our living rooms with over the TV and elsewhere, but, I think Josef Goebbels would have been proud if it had been HIS propaganda!)

Just because a country gets ahead of your country technologically at something, there is no need to start thinking: military. It is this paranoia that leads to bad decisions being made when it gets to government level. We are only using drones for photography and videography, not for firing missiles. And in terms of drone tech militarily, the US and EU governments are state of the art at developing deadly unmanned killing machines.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Just a point I would like to make... The software of drones is not foolproof either... I have had DJI GO 4 crash on me a couple of times whilst my drone was in the middle of an automated flight plan (e.g. Like a point of interest passaround)... It is important to note that, in such circumstances, you could potentially lose control of your drone, and if that happens the risks of something going wrong during the window of you trying to regain transmission and contact with the aircraft, increase. Luckily on both occasions I was in the middle of nowhere, but my heart was still in my mouth whilst I was frantically trying to re-establish full control.

Lots of things can potentially go wrong, and you need to plan for these risks - and how to minimise them also...

Almost makes you wonder if a licence should be required before purchase. Not to make it prohibitive, just to ensure commitment. Weed out the joy-flyers. I dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Wow long thead just readin,,yeh we have a car licence etc wont be long ,,gettin tough over here to :confused:

Wow long thead just readin,,yeh we have a car licence etc wont be long ,,gettin tough over here to :confused:

I haven't personally got any issue with that, so long as there is a coherent, consistent, clear set of laws to follow. That way there is no ambiguity and we then know what we must do. As things stand, there is no clarity at all in law, and it is exceedingly confusing. HOWEVER (and it is a BIG however): i have no intention of making my living from using drones, at all. I am an enthusiast. Many out there, I know, are also enthusiasts and also have no plans to make it their living, and too much of the legal talk surrounds commercial users, which is a problem. The commercial licences and commercial training are restrictive and require very deep pockets oftentimes (here in the UK, getting a CAA licence is as expensive as buying the drone). So, IF our governments were to come up with SENSIBLE solutions for enthusiasts that also satisfies public safety concerns, ability and skill, legal registration, etc., I have no issues with any of that personally so long as my ability to participate in aerial photography is safeguarded.

Hi,
I was just a couple miles away form an airport and trying to take some pictures of a roof and chimney for work. I got a couple of pictures and then the camera and phone screen locked up saying that I might be in a no fly zone. THere was a place for me to check off that I knew this and i thought it would unlock the camera but it didn't. Again I wasn't that near the airport and I was at about 50ft tops. The drone could fly but I couldn't take any pictures or video. Was I doing something wrong? Is there a way to unlock the camera in this situation?
Locking the camera is not a normal part of the "NFZ" implementation in the Go app. It's supposed to prevent or terminate flight. SO if you are flying, you have gotten around that. the camera not working is a separate issue.

I agree. I wasn't. I was thinking economics and standard of living.

All of the cities in China are blanketed in thick pollution most of the year. Maybe when a typhoon comes you can see the sky for a few days afterwards.
China has not surpassed other countries in economics and standards of living. Quality of life cannot be bought. In China there is no internet freedom it's one of the most censored countries in the world where basic things such as you tube facebook google are banned. China has a 99.99% conviction rate of those taken to court. Forced confessions and torture are the norm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers