Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Has any of you experiencing this problem tried to degauss the sensor?
To Those Who've Experienced Compass Errors..... (read next posts too)

Also, out of curiosity, do you transport the phantom in an electric or hybrid car?

The only degauss method i did which probably did not work was rub my Screwdriver which has a magnet inside against the outside of the leg, and no my car is an old 90s

Here's my data for "CompassGate"...

P3 Advanced
Purchased August 2, 2016 (Amazon)
Craft S/N: P76DDC07Bxxxxx
Craft FW: 1.9.60
Controller: 1.60
App: DJI GO v2.8.3 / Android
App: DJI GO v 2.8.6 / iOS
App: Litchi 1.10.1 / iOS

Symptoms: Glitching in/out of P-GPS / P-ATTI mode despite several calibrations of IMU and compass.

Reactions: Surrealplaces
Flew my new P3A today and was far more stable than the old one; had a couple of transient messages but almost straight back into P-GPS. Here's hoping...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Flew my new P3A today and was far more stable than the old one; had a couple of transient messages but almost straight back into P-GPS. Here's hoping...

I am not seeing ANY transient messages with my P4 so far. Only a compass error when the device was sitting on a concrete driveway with huge rebar imbedded in it.

I have had no Compass errors while in flight with my P4 so far. If I was getting any, I would be very hesitant to fly any Litchi waypoint missions (I would feel the drone would be untrustworthy).

I bet further flight time will show more error messages.... My P3A did.

I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today. I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.

Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode. I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.

No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before. I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight. I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel

I have not followed this thread so I don't know where things are at with the issue you posted. I came into this thread looking for a posted .DAT flight log. It's possible that I may have have just figured out what might be taking place and causing the aircraft to drop from the sky, or fly strange for a certain amount time. It's going to be the DAT flight log only that will show what I need to see. The DAT flight log's are more difficult to locate because it takes most 10-30 minutes to get one to point of being able to share it in dropbox.

Scott7161, if you have posted a DAT file link in this thread please let me know. If you haven't, don't worry about as I will likely find at some point.

I flew P4 today in pretty strong winds, without calibration on site last 3 flights. Flew back and forth, sport mode and what not, not a single cut out from gps or compass, only: "motors reached maximum speed" warning heheh.

If I could expirience that on my P3P I would be amazed, have now started a case at vendor who sold this P3P..

Last edited:
The only degauss method i did which probably did not work was rub my Screwdriver which has a magnet inside against the outside of the leg

If you where rubbing it, and not spinning it, you may have made things worse.

UPDATE:

New phantom advanced arrived, calibrated in same area as my first p3a. Perfect flight, no gps loss even when turning around fast, that usually causes it on my one month old phantom.

Firmware on new phantom requires update, but im scared it will cause a Compass Error like my previous phantom.

UPDATE: New phantom advanced arrived, calibrated in same area as my first p3a. Perfect flight, no gps loss even when turning around fast, that usually causes it on my one month old phantom.
Firmware on new phantom requires update, but im scared it will cause a Compass Error like my previous phantom.
Only one way to find out...

Go ahead, take one for the team!

UPDATE:

New phantom advanced arrived, calibrated in same area as my first p3a. Perfect flight, no gps loss even when turning around fast, that usually causes it on my one month old phantom.

Don't do it! Let DJI figure out whats going on first.

I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today. I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.

Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode. I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.

No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before. I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight. I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel
I just had the exact same thing, I flew back in Atti and the compass started working so I flew another 10 minutes, but not too far away. :). I will re calibrate the IMU, which I did after a previous compass problem which seemed to fix it until this last thing.I was at 400 ft up and 1000ft away when it happened.

Last edited:
In Phantom 3 Release note:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_Release_Note_en_20160613.pdf
Firmware update that touches the compass is this one:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016.3.15 Overview: 1. All-in-One firmware version updated to:v1.7.0060 2. DJI GO app iOS version updated to: v2.7.0 3. DJI GO app Android version updated to: v2.7.1

What’s New: 1. Improved compass accuracy.
2. Fixed issue of image being corrupted in rare occasion.

Notes:  The firmware can be downgraded to v1.6.0040.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can the latest firmware be downgraded, does anyone know?

In Phantom 3 Release note:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3/en/Phantom_3_Professional_Release_Note_en_20160613.pdf
Firmware update that touches the compass is this one:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016.3.15 Overview: 1. All-in-One firmware version updated to:v1.7.0060 2. DJI GO app iOS version updated to: v2.7.0 3. DJI GO app Android version updated to: v2.7.1

What’s New: 1. Improved compass accuracy.
2. Fixed issue of image being corrupted in rare occasion.

Notes:  The firmware can be downgraded to v1.6.0040.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can the latest firmware be downgraded, does anyone know?

I saw a post someone said they had, but they started to have conflicts with the DJI APP and F-mode features. I may be wrong.

UPDATE:

Fun to hear it flies well! Hope it stays like that!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT