Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Thanks for the great tools.. here is something from a flight (I am guessing pre-flight due to the negative timeline). It's almost like a coding bug or something where the values are rolling over incorrectly...

View attachment 62587

And another flight (again wasn't looking for the compass error)...

View attachment 62589
Instead of Dropboxing the .DATs you could put the the .csv files in a .zip and attach that to a post. Those .csv files will be in <home directory>/.CsvViewDir/temp. The next version of CsvView will have a "Export .csv" option.

Took my repaired (DJI under Warranty) P3A for a test flight. Finally no more compass errors, falling in and out of ATTI mode. Directional flight stability is much improved, bang on.

Farm.jpg

Reactions: Jase1125
Took my repaired (DJI under Warranty) P3A for a test flight. Finally no more compass errors, falling in and out of ATTI mode. Directional flight stability is much improved, bang on.

View attachment 62774
With what version of firmware it comes back and did you have done up/downgrade of the firmware before your test flight?
Bw nice pic.

It came back with the same firmware version I sent it with: P3S_FW_V01.09.0060.

The repair note from DJI as follows: Replace main control board module V2(FXZY)

It came back with the same firmware version I sent it with: P3S_FW_V01.09.0060.

The repair note from DJI as follows: Replace main control board module V2(FXZY)
Thanks for the info.

I placed my first phantom with Compass errors on a perfect level surface. Then I took a foam pad and placed it on the top of the motors without the propellers. Reading those level readings it was slightly off, So I placed some spacers underneath the drone until the top foam pad resting on the top of motors was level. I then did an IMU Calibration, took her outside and did the compass dance.

I did notice some improvements but not a cure! Now she only gets Compass Errors when im facing West, I can spin in a 360 and regain compass lock before I face west again, this was not happening before I calibrated the motors being level rather then the drones surface. I still got errors but they resolved themselves within a second or two rather than dropping out completely for often the remainder of the flight.

I will see if I can perhaps dial this in more, and if not I will then send my first phantom to DJI.

Also forgot to add I degaussed the compass yesterday by holding a strong magnet near the GPS with the P3 on until the Sensor readings all registered 0 for about 30 seconds. Upon restart of the craft the numbers were in the normal 1300-1500 bracket instead of 800

I did notice some improvements but not a cure! Now she only gets Compass Errors when im facing West, I can spin in a 360 and regain compass lock before I face west again, this was not happening before I calibrated the motors being level rather then the drones surface. I still got errors but they resolved themselves within a second or two rather than dropping out completely for often the remainder of the flight.

Here is a CsvView from a test flight I did at a local soccer field (after calibrating).... I kept the P3A fixed in one spot, rotated CCW a few times and then repeated the same CW... during the CW rotation the compass error consistently hits. You can see where the Yaw and YawMag crossover (true should be about 10-11 degrees West/less in this area)...

The errors happen between W-NW-N..

upload_2016-8-21_21-9-10.png

Last edited:
Reactions: whoreable
Same, just went for another flight, Significantly reduced my compass errors now. It went from as little as 15-70 for a 20:00 minute flight to 5 now.

She still does the fishbowl hover in gps mode though, in some areas not as bad as others.

I'm hoping my "errors" are due to the 50Kw AM antenna farm about 1km down the road... haven't had time to take the Phantom out for a ride, but will do so tomorrow. If it still messes about... time for DJI to step in, or Amazon to swap out.

Called store again today with no new information about what to do with my P3P, its over one week since I called first. Have not been flying it since because its clear that the problem is for DJI to solve, not me. And I aint going to get new replacement drone, just repairing, if and when they decide to call it in.

Phantom 4, however, flies well, I did not calibrate compass in 5-6 flights now on different locations, no problems.

Last edited:
Called vendor again today with no new information about what to do with my P3P, its over one week since I called first. Have not been flying it since because its clear that the problem is for DJI to solve, not me. And I aint going to get new replacement drone, just repairing, if and when they decide to call it in.
So talk to DJI about it and get it fixed.
Go to : DJI Support - Phantom 3 Professional
Click on Online Support and get things happening.

It took about an hour with 4 email chats with DJI to get a return number and prepaid UPS shipping my P3A. Open a service ticket with them.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So glad I bought mine with Amazon Prime. I just clicked on the return box, selected the return reason (defective) and gave a description of the problem. My credit card has been credited already.

Now I am rockin the P4 and it works perfectly. Not one Compass Error yet with 34 flights.

Mine is going back to Amazon... I looked at my first batch of flights on HealthyDrones and they were fine, then a few compass errors and now constantly reproducible.

I'm thinking they had a batch bunch of boards or chips and the problem doesn't manifest itself right away.

So talk to DJI about it and get it fixed.
Go to : DJI Support - Phantom 3 Professional
Click on Online Support and get things happening.

I think I have to go through this store I bought it at (sweden).

Just for fun, this is outdraw from chat I had with DJI for 2 weeks ago. After me showing DJI support my video on youtube where drone almost is crashing in tree) this is conversation:

DJI: "The best thing that i can suggest with this issue is to still do the IMU, Compass, Remote calibration before each flight so that we can be sure that we made the proper calibrations before each flight and prevent this kind of issues as much as possible.

21:25:13

me: To calibrate everything each time I am out and want to fly?

DJI: Yes, that is what i recommend.

21:27:27

me: But why do you suggest to not fly in the beginner mode?

21:28:40

DJI: Because as what i know, you can't even have the capability to start the motors if you are in beginner mode, if im not mistaken."

Last edited:
Reactions: whoreable

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT