No gps

Reaction score
My p3 advanced gps is not working. I crashed it about 2 years ago. Broke the plate that the gimble and camera mount to and also a cushion pin. I just finally put the new parts on. I was very happy that all my 4 batteries and remote charged up nice. While in p mode the gps does not work. I says ready to fly (vision). While flying in p mode it doesn't hold position well even in pretty low winds. It also alerts atti mode frequently while flying. I put it in atti mode and of course way worse than. In f mode it's pretty much seems just like what p mode is doing. Drifting while hoovering. I realize I should check the gps connection, but a new GPS isn't real expensive and it's been crashed a couple times now. Seems if I'm gonna open it up anyway to check the connection I should probably just replace the old GPS anyways. I guess my question is could it be a problem elsewhere and not the gps module? The one thing I'm trying not to do is start throwing a whole bunch of parts at it and just guessing that it's the gps module. Suggestions please. And thanks.

My p3 advanced gps is not working. I crashed it about 2 years ago. Broke the plate that the gimble and camera mount to and also a cushion pin. I just finally put the new parts on. I was very happy that all my 4 batteries and remote charged up nice. While in p mode the gps does not work. I says ready to fly (vision). While flying in p mode it doesn't hold position well even in pretty low winds. It also alerts atti mode frequently while flying. I put it in atti mode and of course way worse than. In f mode it's pretty much seems just like what p mode is doing. Drifting while hoovering. I realize I should check the gps connection, but a new GPS isn't real expensive and it's been crashed a couple times now. Seems if I'm gonna open it up anyway to check the connection I should probably just replace the old GPS anyways. I guess my question is could it be a problem elsewhere and not the gps module? The one thing I'm trying not to do is start throwing a whole bunch of parts at it and just guessing that it's the gps module. Suggestions please. And thanks.
The problem is almost certainly either:
1. The GPS receiver is busted .. or
2. The connection from the GPS receiver to the mainboard is disconnected

#2 is quick and easy to check and the cheapest to fix if that is the problem.

Ok. I appreciate the response and it confirms my thoughts on the issue. I will just check the connection first. Thanks

The problem is almost certainly either:
1. The GPS receiver is busted .. or
2. The connection from the GPS receiver to the mainboard is disconnected

#2 is quick and easy to check and the cheapest to fix if that is the problem.
I checked connection and it seemed good. I put it back together and now I get a esc status error. Now the drone won't start up at all. I was very careful in taking it apart. So bummed because I am giving this to my 16 year old granddaughter. When she came today she was so excited to learn to fly it. What could have possibly happened.

I should mention that I had to take off all motor screws because I had the brackets for the propeller on and they covered the screws to take body apart. I put 2 screws back in each motor to hold loosely in place. Once getting the cover off to check gps connection, I did start up drone with GPS connection still in place and cover just sitting on top. I think one of the motors was a bit cocked or something because something didn't sound right and smelled hot. I shut it down and clearly felt one motor was pretty hot. It cooled down and it turned fine like the others. Could it have burned out and cause the esc status error. If so where's the cheapest place to buy now a motor and a gps module? Hope it's not the board because I just can't afford to stick a lot into this for her. Thank for any info.

I should mention that I had to take off all motor screws because I had the brackets for the propeller on and they covered the screws to take body apart. I put 2 screws back in each motor to hold loosely in place. Once getting the cover off to check gps connection, I did start up drone with GPS connection still in place and cover just sitting on top. I think one of the motors was a bit cocked or something because something didn't sound right and smelled hot. I shut it down and clearly felt one motor was pretty hot. It cooled down and it turned fine like the others. Could it have burned out and cause the esc status error. If so where's the cheapest place to buy now a motor and a gps module? Hope it's not the board because I just can't afford to stick a lot into this for her. Thank for any info.
I'm trying to read into what you are saying here, so if I'm way off then my apologies in advance.

Are you saying that you used the longer screws from prop guard mounts when you put it all back together? If so, you could have damaged the motor windings with the longer screws. Many people have done this over the years when removing prop guard mounts and it causes ESC errors.

I'm trying to read into what you are saying here, so if I'm way off then my apologies in advance.

Are you saying that you used the longer screws from prop guard mounts when you put it all back together? If so, you could have damaged the motor windings with the longer screws. Many people have done this over the years when removing prop guard mounts and it causes ESC errors.
This could be the issue. But I thought of that while loosely putting them in. I may have gone to far. I'll look at that when I get home. You are very helpful.

Agree that the screw length probably caused the motor and esc problems. Good chance the hot motor will need replacing. Left/right motor rotation can be changed by just switching wires. Ebay will be your best bet for parts. Avoid aftermarket, stick with oem whenever possible.

Agree that the screw length probably caused the motor and esc problems. Good chance the hot motor will need replacing. Left/right motor rotation can be changed by just switching wires. Ebay will be your best bet for parts. Avoid aftermarket, stick with oem whenever possible.
Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl