Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

Hi,

I have had the exactly same experience with two brand new P3A's.

I have returned both to the retailer, but I'm really missing them. I have a hard time justifying a P4 purchase, so right now I'm thinking that I should try a third sample...

My impression is that this seems to be a fault in the HW, and I'm not sure how forgiving I should be regarding poor quality checks from the DJI's side. But then again, next time I might get a good sample. ;-)

Following this thread with high interest.

I completed 18 km of Litchi missions yesterday, and NO compass errors. Everything was solid and predictable. My case is an anecdote, but sure supports the notion that there is something amiss with the current batches of P3As.

I am just happy that I have a functioning drone and the numerous suggestions that I was doing something wrong (i.e. compass calibration) were incorrect.

It seems with the true cause of this compass error behaviour undiagnosed and the prevailing attitude that the user is doing something wrong I can only recommend not to get this model at this time. I now have the P4 and I am super happy.

Add me to the list... newish (~1 month) P3A owner

My flights always have brief (2 second) to longish (10-15 second) compass errors once I am airborne. Tried calibrating here and there, nothing... even my first flight out of the box without a "local" calibration (though FW upgrade) had a couple errors (only flew for about a minute or two). Running current DJI firmware.

I feel this is definitely a hardware issue, and from what I have read seems to have really reared it's head within the last couple of months.

Perhaps we can start a list of type of bird, firmware, date of purchase and part of our serial numbers to see if there is some common denominator?

I tried another IMU calibration (The only other IMU calibration was when I took it out of the box), followed by regular calibration, and it seemed to have helped <fingers crossed> I flew it and it didn't have an compass errors. It was only a short flight and there was absolutely no wind. I'm going to try it again today, and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I usually fly 1-2 hours a day with a variety of P3Adv and P3Pro's. I occasionally get that error during flying but it usually corrects itself within 30 seconds or so. I rarely do a ICU calibration and rarely calibrate the compass. I am thinking I usually see that error during the first flight of the day and often when I warm up and take off in a hurry. I would not worry if it just happens occasionally.

I usually fly 1-2 hours a day with a variety of P3Adv and P3Pro's. I occasionally get that error during flying but it usually corrects itself within 30 seconds or so. I rarely do a ICU calibration and rarely calibrate the compass. I am thinking I usually see that error during the first flight of the day and often when I warm up and take off in a hurry. I would not worry if it just happens occasionally.

This may be fine for your use, but like many of us, I mainly fly Litchi and AutoPilot waypoint missions.

This error happening 'occasionally' and for no apparent reason makes the P3A in its current state pretty much worthless for me.

Some folks on here use their birds like old fashioned remote control planes/helicopters, but this is a huge problem for people like me that want the device to operate as autonomously as possible.

Just seems to be happening to too many people too regularly to be an anomaly

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
7ea6088e09978a04c776eb56f9fc17f0_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Just seems to be happening to too many people too regularly to be an anomaly

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I would absolutely NOT say so. Its not save flying when you have to be on alert whole time in the air if you will have to engage fighting to save the aircfraft if it goes in "atti" mode 15 times in 10 minutes flight. I flew P4 and P3P in same place in same wind and I only have problem with P3.
Can you explain why? Is your P3 rock solid?

If this is not a deliberate trick from Dji to get us all to buy P4...

Add me to the list... newish (~1 month) P3A owner

Perhaps we can start a list of type of bird, firmware, date of purchase and part of our serial numbers to see if there is some common denominator?

My setup:

Phantom 3 Advanced (v1.9.60)
Remote (v1.6.0)
iPad mini 2 (iOS v9.3.4, DJI GO v2.8.6)
First P3A: Purchased on the 1st of August in Västerås, Sweden
Second P3A: Purchased on the 6th of August in Barkarby, Stockholm, Sweden

Unfortunately, I did not write down the s/n before I returned them.

One observation: In my case, the compass error always happened when the P3A faced a certain direction. I could just do an auto takeoff, hover for a while and when I gave some rudder, doing a full 360, the compass error would appear in the same direction every time.

This behaviour also translated to real flight: I could fly for a while, but when the aircraft was pointed in the same direction that gave the error when I was hovering, the error happened mid-flight.

Reactions: whoreable
My setup:

Phantom 3 Advanced (v1.9.60)
Remote (v1.6.0)
iPad mini 2 (iOS v9.3.4, DJI GO v2.8.6)
First P3A: Purchased on the 1st of August in Västerås, Sweden
Second P3A: Purchased on the 6th of August in Barkarby, Stockholm, Sweden

Unfortunately, I did not write down the s/n before I returned them.

One observation: In my case, the compass error always happened when the P3A faced a certain direction. I could just do an auto takeoff, hover for a while and when I gave some rudder, doing a full 360, the compass error would appear in the same direction every time.

This behaviour also translated to real flight: I could fly for a while, but when the aircraft was pointed in the same direction that gave the error when I was hovering, the error happened mid-flight.

You had exactly same issue with both brand new P3A-s?

Yes, exactly the same.

And I have calibrated more times than I wish to count ;-)

I be damned.. What did you end up with, P4 or none?

I be damned.. What did you end up with, P4 or none?

Right now I don't have any.

I really can't decide if I should make a third attempt with a P3A (from a different retailer, hoping to get a really old sample), if I should take the plunge and buy a P4 or if I should look for another brand.

Its sad, because the P3A was the sweet spot for me. Lightbridge and relatively cheap.

But I have to admit that I'm quite reluctant giving DJI another go, their support was not that, how should I say, customer oriented. Luckily the retailer was.

Too bad, they make the coolest drones ;-)

Last edited:
Here's my data for "CompassGate"...

P3 Advanced
Purchased Early July 2016 (Amazon)
Craft S/N: P76DDC07B2xxxx
Craft FW: 1.9.60
Controller: Not sure where to check, has been updated with latest firmware.
App: DJI GO v2.8.3 / Android

Symptoms: Glitching in/out of P-GPS / P-ATTI mode despite several calibrations of IMU and compass.

And here's mine...

P3 Standard
Purchased Early July 12, 2016 (Amazon)
Craft S/N:
Craft FW: 1.6.80
Controller: Not sure where to check, has been updated with latest firmware.
App: DJI GO v2.8.6 / iPhone

Symptoms: Glitching in/out of P-GPS / P-ATTI mode despite several calibrations of IMU and compass.

Reactions: flax71
I will mention that after re-calibrating the IMU and the compass, it has been better, but is still there. It seems to come up whenever there are fast turns or fast stops, etc...

Reactions: whoreable

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT