Mid Air "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode"

I guess I am first (of us 3 in this thread :)) to compare these two birds, I just got home from flying a "brand new from the package" phantom 4 and there are some good news regarding compass errors and gps cut-outs: not a single one warning. I did not upgrade firmware on phantom 4, its right from the box.

I took it to same spot there I had a lots of warnings from phantom 3. Never had a single issue with compass or gps, not even one. Here are both flights healthydrone:

Phantom 4:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Phantom 3 pro:
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

That was really positive and trust-inducing, connection felt solid in all ways. Phantom 4 did have some altitude drops (it could go down 1-2m or so by itself when flying forwards and stop, which DJi is attempting to solve in latest firmware). Phantom 4 is also a little bit slower in "p" mode then phantom 3, unless you want to switch phantom 4 in "sport" mode but then you have props in the middle of the screen (upper part of the screen at least).

But I really got annoyed to realize a hi-pitched sound coming from the aircraft as I flew it. It is greatly noticeable and can be heard even from longer distance. My phantom 3 do not sound like this. Googled it and found that some phantom users experience the same, and that really annoying sound could come from motors or blades. Is that fixable with firmware upgrade?! Hard to believe, here we go with another issue...

Last edited:
So the p4 keeps perfect GPS and compass calibration where the p3 drops out like I had suspected?

Just did a shakedown flight on my new P4 in the same area as I have flown the P3A.

There were no issues with the compass, GPS, no switching to and from GPS mode , it just worked as it should. I will get some more flights in today and tomorrow to get a better data set.

I am itching to upgrade the firmware, but I want to get a benchmark on how it flys right out of the box before I upgrade.

The P3A (now returned as defective) logged 14 flights and only 2 did not have the compass errors. These were all in the same location (my (very rural) residence lol) as today's test.

So far so good, but until I get some more flights in, I am not calling this issue solved.

Reactions: whoreable
Strange........but what I expected,

now only if DJI would replace our Phantoms free of charge after sending in our NON-WORKING P3A I would be happy.

I have 98 Flights logged, every single one besides simple engine starts have a Compass error. It started on flight #1 I have the logs to prove it

Allright my co-worker just purchased a Phantom Standard, I have the advanced but I dont think it will matter. Were going to fly in the same area, different Channels of course and see if he can replicate my Compass Errors. Should update in a few hours.

Just did a shakedown flight on my new P4 in the same area as I have flown the P3A.

There were no issues with the compass, GPS, no switching to and from GPS mode , it just worked as it should. I will get some more flights in today and tomorrow to get a better data set.

I am itching to upgrade the firmware, but I want to get a benchmark on how it flys right out of the box before I upgrade.

The P3A (now returned as defective) logged 14 flights and only 2 did not have the compass errors. These were all in the same location (my (very rural) residence lol) as today's test.

So far so good, but until I get some more flights in, I am not calling this issue solved.

I upgraded firmware and flew with it again with no warnings, no compass errors, no gps mode switching. Even attitude drops seemed to be fixed.
Have you noticed that extra hi-pitched sound P4 has?

My Co Worker brang his P3S over to my residence and just flew without any Compass Errors in an area I always cut in and out of GPS/Compass Error. His firmware is not updated though but I dont think that should cause him any future issues.

This concludes the theory my P3A is faulty in some manner, I want to return to DJI but I dont want to be drone-less for a month.

My Co Worker brang his P3S over to my residence and just flew without any Compass Errors in an area I always cut in and out of GPS/Compass Error. His firmware is not updated though but I dont think that should cause him any future issues.

This concludes the theory my P3A is faulty in some manner, I want to return to DJI but I dont want to be drone-less for a month.

Another thread about same problem:

Compass Error

So is it firmware or do we have faulty devices...

Last edited:
In one of the newer firmwares for P3, compass is made more sensitive. That is also stated by Dji representative on their forum:
So is it firmware or do we have faulty devices...
That post was 1.5 years ago, before the Phantom 3 was released.
Plus .. the DJI forum is not necessarily a good place to find accurate information - even from DJI people.

The idea of a compass that is more sensitive doesn't make sense .. any compass that works is sensitive or it won't work.
If you are always getting compass errors, something's wrong.
It's either the Phantom or what you are doing with it.
Most flyers would never see a compass error unless they place the Phantom on a car roof or on reinforced concrete.

That post was 1.5 years ago, before the Phantom 3 was released.
Plus .. the DJI forum is not necessarily a good place to find accurate information - even from DJI people.

The idea of a compass that is more sensitive doesn't make sense .. any compass that works is sensitive or it won't work.
If you are always getting compass errors, something's wrong.
It's either the Phantom or what you are doing with it.
Most flyers would never see a compass error unless they place the Phantom on a car roof or on reinforced concrete.

Ok I saw it now but even if they mean phantom 2, the problem is exactly same on phantom 3, just as described in that thread.
What Dji representative says is:
"New firmware make the compass more sensitive to the interference. I know some users have this warning on many different open places. We've recorded those cases, and waiting for the analysis result."

But maybe "sensitive to interference" is not same as plain "sensitive"

Last edited:
I have had this on every flight with a new P3A and led to some nervous moments! After trying downgrading the firmware, IMU, gimbal and compass calibrations it made no difference so I contacted DJI online support chat who, after a lengthy conversation, said that I should return it for repair. Back it went and has been replaced with a new P3A bought direct from DJI.com so there can be no squabbling if I get further issues... The new aircraft will get it's first flight on Tuesday so I am fingers crossed..... Any more issues and it will be some saving up to get a P4 with it's dual compass and IMUs.

Reactions: Surrealplaces
I have had this on every flight with a new P3A and led to some nervous moments! After trying downgrading the firmware, IMU, gimbal and compass calibrations it made no difference so I contacted DJI online support chat who, after a lengthy conversation, said that I should return it for repair. Back it went and has been replaced with a new P3A bought direct from DJI.com so there can be no squabbling if I get further issues... The new aircraft will get it's first flight on Tuesday so I am fingers crossed..... Any more issues and it will be some saving up to get a P4 with it's dual compass and IMUs.

Please post results of new flight here!

I had this happen to me a few weeks ago.. about 2 min into the flight heading towards a fishing boat over water i got this error and started freaking out.. tried flicking switch to atti mode but it did nothing so i quickly come back to shore and landed it asap.

Moved to a new location and re-calibrated it and haven't seen it come back since.

P3P now using latest firmware but this happened with previous firmware but never seen it since that day again and hope the error never comes back. :D

Reactions: Cornscot21
I upgraded firmware and flew with it again with no warnings, no compass errors, no gps mode switching. Even attitude drops seemed to be fixed.
Have you noticed that extra hi-pitched sound P4 has?

8 P4 flights today, 7 Litchi missions (which I have been too scared to try any with the P3A), not one compass error or GPS mode switching episodes. This is what I expected with the P3A.

The P4 does make a different sound, but I am not sure if this is any thing to be worried about.

I am glad I upgraded to the P4.

I think I might be calling tech support to do what you did. I have tried calibrating the compass in all kinds of open areas, and it always looks like the calibration worked, but I have yet to have a single flight where it didn't get a compass error and cut into atti mode.

8 P4 flights today, 7 Litchi missions (which I have been too scared to try any with the P3A), not one compass error or GPS mode switching episodes. This is what I expected with the P3A.

The P4 does make a different sound, but I am not sure if this is any thing to be worried about.

I am glad I upgraded to the P4.

I flew also again with P4 without gps/compass problems att all. Yes P4 just sounds different, it has higher pitched sound with that extra "whistle"

I think I might be calling tech support to do what you did. I have tried calibrating the compass in all kinds of open areas, and it always looks like the calibration worked, but I have yet to have a single flight where it didn't get a compass error and cut into atti mode.

Same here with P3P, did IMU cal. again on leveled surface, calibrated compass on site where I flew P4 without single problem a couple hours ago, P3 gets 12 gps cut-outs/compass errors in 6-7 minutes...

Calling the store where is purchased from today to hear what they say. If I could swap this bird and try another P3P would be interesting.

I just purchased another phantom, it should be here mid-week. I will then fly my old phantom advanced(3 weeks old) and the brand new one side by side.

I just purchased another phantom, it should be here mid-week. I will then fly my old phantom advanced(3 weeks old) and the brand new one side by side.

You bought P4?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20