Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Phat I'm about 8.5 miles from Phx international Airport. I don't have any problems, I have a friend that is 7.5 with no problem either. He's in the main flight path for Sky Harbor.
Thanks for the input Phx. I asked because I realized I'm a little closer than I thought to an Int airport. Never really thought about it because driving there is about 8 miles. But as the crow flies turns out it's more like 3. But based on yours and DB's feedback, I shouldn't be getting any significant issues from the airport. I'm getting 2800ft. Before signal drops out with my MaxxUAV ELite. Exactly what I was getting before the mod. Very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

F
Actually looking back at this Maxxrange flight from yesterday,
Its obvious that I was able to stay lower w/ the Terminator !
From all your tests it seems like the Terminator is definitely giving you a better signal than the Maxx Range. I was on the fence hoping the Maxx would be as good because its lighter and seems easier to carry around ,but my gut feeling was always that the Terminator was better. Did you try it with boosters?

F

From all your tests it seems like the Terminator is definitely giving you a better signal than the Maxx Range. I was on the fence hoping the Maxx would be as good because its lighter and seems easier to carry around ,but my gut feeling was always that the Terminator was better. Did you try it with boosters?
The Maxx IS just as good, I think the Terminator may be ever so slightly stronger! But if you want the Maxx cause it lighter, cuter,& more portable, then get it! You wont be dissapointed[emoji41]

Ok DirtyBum, I only had a short window to yet and wasn't able to go long range since I'm at home in the city !!! But, there is a ton of interference near this one building always !!! So I used that as my test bed! Stock I lose signal as soon as I get within 100 ft of the building at 150 ft elevation (maybe they have some type of jamming system ? No idea?)
With the unboosted DBS and FPVLR I was able to move in to about 70ft and able to drop down to about 80-90 ft elevation.

So I threw on the booster setup (thanks @Jake) & MaxxRange panel (thanks @Fredz) and took the bird for a spin.

I was 15ft from the roof with full signal, no issues!!!! So to test a little more I flew over to my friend's place and dropped down to 22ft above his backyard (wooded area) still with full signal !! Had he been home I prob could have landed!! It's insane !!

Big shout out to Jake & Fredz for my long range gear!!! And DirtyBum for the wealth of knowledge and info always !!!

Go buy some gear boys and girls !!

96e9e487e0e3c837ca20cd0b49b36909.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My MAXXUAV Boosted setup gets here Saturday!

I can't wait to start exposing my nuts to all the RF. Maybe I need to figure out how to make up some kind of aluminum foil chastity-belt like contraption for protection?

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Ok DirtyBum, I only had a short window to yet and wasn't able to go long range since I'm at home in the city !!! But, there is a ton of interference near this one building always !!! So I used that as my test bed! Stock I lose signal as soon as I get within 100 ft of the building at 150 ft elevation (maybe they have some type of jamming system ? No idea?)
With the unboosted DBS and FPVLR I was able to move in to about 70ft and able to drop down to about 80-90 ft elevation.

So I threw on the booster setup (thanks @Jake) & MaxxRange panel (thanks @Fredz) and took the bird for a spin.

I was 15ft from the roof with full signal, no issues!!!! So to test a little more I flew over to my friend's place and dropped down to 22ft above his backyard (wooded area) still with full signal !! Had he been home I prob could have landed!! It's insane !!

Big shout out to Jake & Fredz for my long range gear!!! And DirtyBum for the wealth of knowledge and info always !!!

Go buy some gear boys and girls !!

96e9e487e0e3c837ca20cd0b49b36909.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
**** that Maxx amp mount is sweet. Mine gets here Saturday!

Thanks for the input Phx. I asked because I realized I'm a little closer than I thought to an Int airport. Never really thought about it because driving there is about 8 miles. But as the crow flies turns out it's more like 3. But based on yours and DB's feedback, I shouldn't be getting any significant issues from the airport. I'm getting 2800ft. Before signal drops out with my MaxxUAV ELite. Exactly what I was getting before the mod. Very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes would agree very disappointing. You may want to try a different location. I've flown in a open field with other and we had problems with signal. We had 3 drones fall out of the sky there. We have checked the signal channel with DJI Go and there is allot of interference on all channels, not sure why

I flew over open area today first time to test ( beach and ocean ) and got over 12,000 feet stock one way . So in open area I am good . Problem is that I generally want to fly in treed and wifi more urban area and there I need every bit of signal that i can get so I guess Terminator it will be .

I flew over open area today first time to test ( beach and ocean ) and got over 12,000 feet stock one way . So in open area I am good . Problem is that I generally want to fly in treed and wifi more urban area and there I need every bit of signal that i can get so I guess Terminator it will be .
You won't be disappointed with either one of these antennas, but please post results everybody starting to get these get is getting me amped up.

You won't be disappointed with either one of these antennas, but please post results everybody starting to get these get is getting me amped up.
I'm telling you guys the panels ,both of them are game changers!
I'm getting ready to go out right now and see how the maxx does for P3standard Wi-Fi, i've already determined that the terminator kicks Wi-Fi's ***

hahaha DB you're starting to sound like the legendary Don West - "Be Dialin"
don-hands.jpg

Here is my first flight in open area . I reached over 12,000 with stock . It was scary because i had green GPS good to fly and then suddenly at 12,000 feet it just lost connection . I tried to bring it back and then hit the RTH button but it said unable to RTH I because it lost contact ) 10 seconds later it did the RTH by itself and came back nicely . But in Healthy Drones it shows that the return flight had poor signal strength . Can anybody figure out why that should happen ? It was the same open flight over the ocean si it should have been the same signal like the outbound trip . Does the signal in an RTH show up weaker ?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Did you guys order your Maxx uav stuff earlier than this past weekend? I'm starting to get jealous man, no word on when my stuff even heads my way.

That is always a bad feeling SK even when you KNOW its heading back! Until you see where yer at (fpv) & what bat level, you freak out even after 100 times! What setup you using rite now! And,Yes, the return CAN have weaker signal than the trip out, not always though!

Here is my first flight in open area . I reached over 12,000 with stock . It was scary because i had green GPS good to fly and then suddenly at 12,000 feet it just lost connection . I tried to bring it back and then hit the RTH button but it said unable to RTH I because it lost contact ) 10 seconds later it did the RTH by itself and came back nicely . But in Healthy Drones it shows that the return flight had poor signal strength . Can anybody figure out why that should happen ? It was the same open flight over the ocean si it should have been the same signal like the outbound trip . Does the signal in an RTH show up weaker ?

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

It seems like you hit RTH when you had no connection so the drone was not able to receive your RTH request. BUT after 5 sec of no connectivity, your drone started to RTH as per the failsafe settings. You can see the signal errors along the way because you had poor signal as it was RTH. But all that aside, you should be getting better signal than that.

Also, I used to surf/kayak fish along that area all the time :) I miss the Jersey shore...sometimes :)

Im pretty new at this so Im still at stock on my P3P . All my previous flights were behind trees and buildings and the max distance I got was about 2500 to 3500 feet with in and out signal loss . So I figured I will go to the beach to see what the P3 PRO is capable of without any thing in its way . 12,100 feet is not too bad for stock but I know many people got more .
I was waiting for the results here before getting either the Maxx or Terminator .

It wasnt really that bad . After about 30 seconds after the automatic RTH , I got the signal back and I saw the distance and speed and battery level so I wasnt really so worried . I only noticed the poor signal for the return on the Healthy Drones because once I got the signal back it showed green on my RC all the way .

Im pretty new at this so Im still at stock on my P3P . All my previous flights were behind trees and buildings and the max distance I got was about 2500 to 3500 feet with in and out signal loss . So I figured I will go to the beach to see what the P3 PRO is capable of without any thing in its way . 12,100 feet is not too bad for stock but I know many people got more .
I was waiting for the results here before getting either the Maxx or Terminator .

It wasnt really that bad . After about 30 seconds after the automatic RTH , I got the signal back and I saw the distance and speed and battery level so I wasnt really so worried . I only noticed the poor signal for the return on the Healthy Drones because once I got the signal back it showed green on my RC all the way .
Shoot son! Stock! You're doing just fine man[emoji41]

Shoot son! Stock! You're doing just fine man[emoji41]
Yeah I didn't realize he meant stock R/C. That's about right and that area even though over the ocean is very populated and has tons of interference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka