Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I'm getting ready to go out right now and see how the maxx does for P3standard Wi-Fi, i've already determined that the terminator kicks Wi-Fi's ***
The Maxx UNboosted for the wi-fi on the P3Standard didnt go so well! (At least not in that flight path)I expected at least 20000+'.
I started seeing video/wi-fi signal issues as early as 8000'. I was flying in the same flight path that I've taken the p3A /Terminator UNboosted 40000'! There is some trees off to the side but no real wi-fi congestion. It was too late to run it boosted or try the Terminator to compare. That was dissapointing, cause I've used the Terminator unboosted on the Standard a short distance from here for 36000, so I expected more
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
This is the first of 5 logs and where I finally lost signal completely

Thanks for posting, DB (I like the post, not the info).

Can you tell us what antennas you had on the P3A and P3S?

Thanks for posting, DB (I like the post, not the info).

Can you tell us what antennas you had on the P3A and P3S?
Birdside the p3A is stock.
The p3S is stock wi-fi pucks, (1) stock control antenna (1) 5.8 immersion spironet for control

The Maxx UNboosted for the wi-fi on the P3Standard didnt go so well! (At least not in that flight path)I expected at least 20000+'.
I started seeing video/wi-fi signal issues as early as 8000'. I was flying in the same flight path that I've taken the p3A /Terminator UNboosted 40000'! There is some trees off to the side but no real wi-fi congestion. It was too late to run it boosted or try the Terminator to compare. That was dissapointing, cause I've used the Terminator unboosted on the Standard a short distance from here for 36000, so I expected more
This is the first of 5 logs and where I finally lost signal completely
Once again, it looks like the Tetminator is definitely stronger signal wise than the Maxx.

Once again, it looks like the Tetminator is definitely stronger signal wise than the Maxx.
I don't know what was going on with that I was in a different flight path but not much different I should I had better signal than that. I'm going to take it this morning over to the spot where I used the terminator unboosted to take the standards Wi-Fi out to 36,000 feet

Just got my DBS mod max range looks like its on steroid's compare to its little brother.
Will update you guys on the results unboosted first and boosted tomorrow both in urban areas hoping the weather stay nice.

Here is my first flight in open area . I reached over 12,000 with stock . It was scary because i had green GPS good to fly and then suddenly at 12,000 feet it just lost connection . I tried to bring it back and then hit the RTH button but it said unable to RTH I because it lost contact ) 10 seconds later it did the RTH by itself and came back nicely . But in Healthy Drones it shows that the return flight had poor signal strength . Can anybody figure out why that should happen ? It was the same open flight over the ocean si it should have been the same signal like the outbound trip . Does the signal in an RTH show up weaker ?

You should be getting better than 12,000ft with a stock RC under ideal conditions. I was able to do 4miles out with a stock GL300A RC with my P3A and never had any signal issues and I was in and around a city area but had clear LOS from a signal standpoint.

I don't know what was going on with that I was in a different flight path but not much different I should I had better signal than that. I'm going to take it this morning over to the spot where I used the terminator unboosted to take the standards Wi-Fi out to 36,000 feet
It was really too windy to fly today, but crystal clear so I just had to go to my "good spot" and see if the Maxx can do better than last nite for the p3S wi-fi unboosted. I stayed at about 100 feet for 2 miles just above the trees and powerlines with clear line of sight over all of it, after 2 miles I had to bump it up to 150 feet because of terrain, not signal, Signal was perfect for 3 miles and then it started to dip a little so I'd raise the bird up 25 feet at a time and it never got stronger at 18000' and 250'alt. The signal dropped completely. Rth kicked in and I pick signal back up at 10,000 feet heading home. I've done better than that with the terminator unboosted in that same spot.
So to make it a fair test I busted out the terminator.
Same situation unboosted flying the same Alttitude for the same distances, with the terminator at 3 miles the signal was still strong and going so I figured OK the terminator is just better than the maxx, well, at 18,000 feet with perfect signal just like the maxx,same spot, Signal just dropped dead! RTH kicked in I pick signal back up at 12,000 feet from home point, couple thousand ft sooner than the maxx.

That's a good flight path for unboosted tests, but something at 18,000 feet was just zapping my signal

It's interesting I was just looking at the DJI log for both those flights, around 18,000 feet my signal got completely lost, just zapped, at almost the exact same spot within 100 feet. It was like I just ran into a laser beam or something

Last edited:
So it looks like you got some really big houses that's getting between you and your signal after a mile. So 8 thousand feet ,you can't complain about that right ,in that area anyway! You just holding the antenna in your hand ?How manageable is it just holding it

Reactions: Tommymonkey
So it looks like you got some really big houses that's getting between you and your signal after a mile. So 8 thousand feet ,you can't complain about that right ,in that area anyway! You just holding the antenna in your hand ?How manageable is it just holding it
I used a camping table with the rubber band cruise control.

Can you advise as to the portability of both the Maxx Range and Terminator . I see you guys are using tables or tripods ,. Im planning on holding it in my hand . Will that be a problem for either one ?

Can you advise as to the portability of both the Maxx Range and Terminator . I see you guys are using tables or tripods ,. Im planning on holding it in my hand . Will that be a problem for either one ?
Maxxrange is fine for me. Combine it with the MaxxUAV amp mount and it's a very nice mobile setup.

Maxxrange is fine for me. Combine it with the MaxxUAV amp mount and it's a very nice mobile setup.

+1

I think I remember reading that the terminator is a bit heavier ... So for me personally the maxxrange is about as heavy as I would go for my own uses unless you plan on using some kind of tripod setup

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I used a camping table with the rubber band cruise control.
What Tommy means just to clarify for everybody is that he rests his controller on a table and uses the rubber band to hold it down so I don't move while he's maneuvering. Heh, heh,wouldnt want no misunderstanding heh,heh, whew that was close[emoji41]

Reactions: Tommymonkey

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West