Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I saw a video the other day where a certain antenna recommended to use channel 22 for the wifi channel, that said with my P3P and maxxantenna, which channel should I choose? I've been using 31 for no particular reason instead of auto. Also this would be boosted and non boosted

As per Jake from maxxuav best to leave it in auto mode. I was having some range issues and once I changed the channel to auto it did take care of the problem Boosted or unboosted!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dirtybum
As per Jake from maxxuav best to leave it in auto mode. I was having some range issues and once I changed the channel to auto it did take care of the problem Boosted or unboosted!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Is the new MaxxAntenna much more frequency specific than the DBS-02?
I use a manual channel in the channel hack on the older DBS-02 all the time, with much better results than Auto. The only reason Auto might work better is if the newest antennas are optimized for the limited OEM Auto channels, and therefore less efficient in the higher channels in the hack.

Last edited:
ditto, with the stock antenna's at least, this new antenna I just leave it in channel 31/32

Thanks! The missing GL658B FCC ID will help fill in the gaps in my research, so I don't have to rely on possible misinformation, although even at least one of the FCC ID numbers have wrong power outputs from a misplaced decimal point in the FCC docs!:rolleyes: Unfortunately, I don't own an Inspire myself, to more fully understand their different remotes and the versions. It's all anecdotal from others' posts elsewhere, and the FCC ID#'s.

FCC ID # SS3-GL6581502 from my GL658B

FCC ID SS3-GL6581502 C1 by SZ DJI TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Excellent. Clearly, the power output of .01483 watts of the GL658B unit in the FCC ID document is either wrong, or is indeed for a Japanese version with a significantly lower power output for their market, given that the GL658A and GL658C are now both 0.931 watts. The conundrum continues. :confused: I also found this statement elsewhere of unknown validity, "If you have a remote labeled #GL658B it is the older version that produces 24dBm/approx. 255mw.".

However, based upon all of the above, the GL658B appears to have 25% or less power output for control, than either the GL658A or the GL658C, both have which, according to reliable DJI sources, have been upgraded via firmware updates in the U.S. to 0.937 watts of power output each.

Last edited:
Sorry man !! Hectic weekend !!!

Here's the photos of the GL658B

e00dc2c445ba3a3a73a4b703844f58df.jpg
2b9ac12c1e4334ee7ebb82d2adf37a6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

GL658B

f6731ae9133494e412818af5493c8289.jpg

Ok, to add more fuel to this fire. I tried a little experiment. I paired my GL658C to my p3p ... And
9ec2063802538296d223a020066896cf.jpg

Sorry I had the brightness down but it's 13.8dBm ... Where's the missing power DJI ?!!

Ok, to add more fuel to this fire. I tried a little experiment. I paired my GL658C to my p3p ... And
9ec2063802538296d223a020066896cf.jpg

Great find! I wonder why the difference in power when paired to an I1 vs P3?

"Hmmm....Verrry Interrrestinngg!" (said with a thick German accent...Arte Johnson style!) :confused:

Ha ha ha !!!

And @Tony that is all built into the firmware. It changes output depending on the aircraft attached. Some may even go as far to wonder if they reduced the p3 range when they realized that the p4 range was not going to be as good as the p3 had been ... to help drive sales of the p4 ?? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Ha ha ha !!!

And @Tony that is all built into the firmware. It changes output depending on the aircraft attached. Some may even go as far to wonder if they reduced the p3 range when they realized that the p4 range was not going to be as good as the p3 had been ... to help drive sales of the p4 ?? Hmmmmmmmmmm

So what is our comparative watt output from the GL300A with DBS-02 and amps attached, compared to the stock 0.37 watt output?

Ha ha ha !!!

That's a funny thought but just not deep enough of a conspiracy! The real truth is, DJI is getting a lot of pressure from government agencies to reduce range through firmware's! DJI will gladly comply, because their sales are not dependent on long-range flying. Only aftermarket companies corner that area. There's pressure put on companies that we will never see or know about. And it's been proven only slightly through FCC and recordings/filings, but even more so by our tests and conversations, and findings here on this very forum

Reactions: Mark The Droner
That's a funny thought but just not deep enough of a conspiracy! The real truth is, DJI is getting a lot of pressure from government agencies to reduce range through firmware's! DJI will gladly comply, because their sales are not dependent on long-range flying. Only aftermarket companies corner that area. There's pressure put on companies that we will never see or know about. And it's been proven only slightly through FCC and recordings/filings, but even more so by our tests and conversations, and findings here on this very forum
All too true, which means the long range flyers may have to eventually look elsewhere, or stock up on the old arsenal and keep them completely off the grid on old firmware and app versions!

I specifically bought my P3P because of range, it was frankly the only deciding factor.

I specifically bought my P3P because of range, it was frankly the only deciding factor.
When I bought my first P3P, DJI was only marketing a 1.3 mile range for them, and yet I was getting 3 miles with just a windsurfer. It was only later that they started advertising a 3 mile range, while actually reducing the range over the original P3P's. They created this problem in the marketing department, but now they can blame the FAA for imposing VLOS Guidelines for the reduced range over prior firmware versions.

where is the proof they reduced range? this is all speculation right?

All I see are some people stating they now get less distance, while others are claiming records being broke with 5 miles stock everything.

Is there a firmware readme that says, "reduced distance because of FAA"

Are you happy w/ the range you get fastfed? If you are then thats all that matters, dont believe what you read from us conspiracy theorist! Luckily, with these two new amazing antennas that came out this year are able to overcome the transmission downfalls of the newer FW's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka