Maxx UAV - Secret Battery Mod!

I want to try 2 x 600 gram 4,000 Mah battery! I don't care if it wrecks... It's had a good life. Go big or go home... I want to see how far my unboosted antenna will actually go.

Also, I'm starting to think that the MAXXUAV mod is freaking amazing for two small batteries, but if you want to do anything bigger, you're gonna need those few grams the BatteryCondom weighs! I've trademarked the name"PhantomBatteryCondom" in case Jake has to have it!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
For pure range testing, have a friend available by cell phone for retrieval at the other end, or 25% of the way back, of the distance you think you can cover. Hot air balloonists all fly one way, and have a chase crew for retrieval downwind. Those that are setting extreme records are all about a single record, and don't mind sacrificing batteries depleted to below 0% remaining and their aircraft to the cause, and all have ditch points along the way back!

I think Jakes mod looks great in general. I just modded my P4 battery to add 2 XT60 connectors on the back and it took at least 2hrs and is not for the faint of heart. I still have DJI care on the Bird, so the birdside mod was out of the question unfortunately. Now my big problem.. I only get 17mins flying time with 2 x 2400mAH LiHV:s. The P4 force landed on me today showing 5% left at 15,5v (3,87v).
At this point my external batteries have only used approx 1200mAh each, so no real value of the added 500gram for this capacity..
I'm not an expert on LiPos, but it seems really strange to have an emergy cut off above nominal voltage of the batteries. What are the characteristics like?
Any way to lower the cut off limit or to have DJI GO or Litchi app ignore E-landing?

I think Jakes mod looks great in general. I just modded my P4 battery to add 2 XT60 connectors on the back and it took at least 2hrs and is not for the faint of heart. I still have DJI care on the Bird, so the birdside mod was out of the question unfortunately. Now my big problem.. I only get 17mins flying time with 2 x 2400mAH LiHV:s. The P4 force landed on me today showing 5% left at 15,5v (3,87v).
At this point my external batteries have only used approx 1200mAh each, so no real value of the added 500gram for this capacity..
I'm not an expert on LiPos, but it seems really strange to have an emergy cut off above nominal voltage of the batteries. What are the characteristics like?
Any way to lower the cut off limit or to have DJI GO or Litchi app ignore E-landing?
You are the first to claim a successful P4 battery mod by modding the P4 battery itself. All others who have tried commercially have failed to create a reliable mod, and completely gave up. So, if you are having problems with the results, something has gone wrong. Open the battery back up, and you will likely find out why. That's how those that tried found the mod didn't work, and was far more likely to short out the entire battery than extend flight times, leading to a catastrophic crash. The 10% remaining battery autolanding cannot be cancelled, but can be prolonged with full left up left throttle only preventing further descent, until a single battery cell drops below 3.0V, when it turns off in midair. Ask me how I know!:eek:

You are the first to claim a successful P4 battery mod by modding the P4 battery itself. All others who have tried commercially have failed to create a reliable mod, and completely gave up. So, if you are having problems with the results, something has gone wrong. Open the battery back up, and you will likely find out why. That's how those that tried found the mod didn't work, and was far more likely to short out the entire battery than extend flight times, leading to a catastrophic crash. The 10% remaining battery autolanding cannot be cancelled, but can be prolonged with full left up left throttle only preventing further descent, until a single battery cell drops below 3.0V, when it turns off in midair. Ask me how I know!:eek:
Here's another guy that claims to have done a battery mod to the P4. It appears very clean, using flat cables. I'm unsure why the OP doesn't answer questions about the mod, but I'm curious if it works.

Thanks for helping out a newbie GadgetGuy!
Modding the battery is quite simple as there is plenty room to run 16AWG wires from back to front. I connected directly on the original battery soldering. It was friday night and I had some beers so I even managed to cross wires. Irritating, but still fits. Really snug though..
However opening the plastic shell is a 1h wrestling match and frankly it still has some marks from the abuse.
It really sound strange with cut-off at 3,85v if the bird can still lift its own weight down to 3,0v. Do you experiency E-landing at 15,5v as well with your rig.

@Jake, you should aim somewhat higher with your nice prototype and include an semi balanced holder for a second P4 battery (removing ultrasonic and downvision). That would really motivate premium price due to alernative of spending 300$ on external batteries/charger.
BTW, love your Evolite Kit plus, but now the batteries are really limiting.

Attachments

• IMG_3707.JPG
    IMG_3707.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_3709 (1).JPG
    IMG_3709 (1).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 492
Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
Here's another guy that claims to have done a battery mod to the P4. It appears very clean, using flat cables. I'm unsure why the OP doesn't answer questions about the mod, but I'm curious if it works.
Thanks for the link! I found it hard to believe it was impossible to do successfully, but when the business professionals motivated by profit give up, there is usually a good reason. It's not as though there isn't huge demand for a mod to the P4 battery itself. The P4 screams for it! The liability of a catastrophic crash caused by an internal short in the mod wiring over time was the real issue, because the insulation on the wire running from back to front was slowly being eroded during flight. Even though it might work initially, the long term risk was perceived as too great. YMMV. :cool:

Thanks for helping out a newbie GadgetGuy!
Modding the battery is quite simple as there is plenty room to run 16AWG wires from back to front. I connected directly on the original battery soldering. It was friday night and I had some beers so I even managed to cross wires. Irritating, but still fits. Really snug though..
However opening the plastic shell is a 1h wrestling match and frankly it still has some marks from the abuse.
It really sound strange with cut-off at 3,85v if the bird can still lift its own weight down to 3,0v. Do you experiency E-landing at 15,5v as well with your rig.

@Jake, you should aim somewhat higher with your nice prototype and include an semi balanced holder for a second P4 battery (removing ultrasonic and downvision). That would really motivate premium price due to alernative of spending 300$ on external batteries/charger.
BTW, love your Evolite Kit plus, but now the batteries are really limiting.
As I understand it, the snugness is the problem. After a few flights, or many flights, the insulation becomes frayed, and can short out the entire battery. Something is clearly wrong, as with the internal aircraft mod, the externals in parallel are properly included in the remaining percentage and remaining flight time. No E-landing at 3.85V! Mine read 38 minutes remaining after takeoff last night! It didn't realize I would be flying 32-40 mph for the next 25 minutes, and the shorter the remaining duration, the more accurate the calculated remaing flight time becomes. I landed with 13% remaining and launched with 98%, with a total flight time of 25 minutes, using two 2800 mAh MaxAmps as externals. Without the externals, the flight time would not have exceeded 17 minutes at best.

I like this idea too, but you guys are seriously twisted to add 5-10 minutes of flying time with these mods, especially given the excess wear and tear on motors, ESCs and everything else AND the extra battery expenses (which I already own so that doesn't matter to me).

If we were doubling our in-air time, it would be a little easier to get excited about, but given the numbers I'm seeing hypothesized, I have to admit that I'm going to buy one if it's reasonably priced, but I just don't get it.

I have batteries and chargers already so my investment is simply the mod and shipping. Some of you guys look like you're going to have to spend a substantial amount of money to get 10 more minutes. Forgive me for not understanding completely.

I like this idea too, but you guys are seriously twisted to add 5-10 minutes of flying time with these mods, especially given the excess wear and tear on motors, ESCs and everything else AND the extra battery expenses (which I already own so that doesn't matter to me).

If we were doubling our in-air time, it would be a little easier to get excited about, but given the numbers I'm seeing hypothesized, I have to admit that I'm going to buy one if it's reasonably priced, but I just don't get it.

I have batteries and chargers already so my investment is simply the mod and shipping. Some of you guys look like you're going to have to spend a substantial amount of money to get 10 more minutes. Forgive me for not understanding completely.
Perhaps I can shed some light on it for you. With a 17 minute flight time, I am limited to a 3 mile radius from my launch point, if I fly straight out and back. With a 25 minute flight time, I can increase that to a 5 mile radius. Everything of interest is over 3 miles away. That extra 10 minutes is huge in terms of what I can reach, cover, and allows me to linger and find and even follow interesting subjects. To me, going back to stock would be like limiting all flying to a boring AMA Flying Field! The battery mod, with the RC mod, is what makes the tool worthwhile. The extra 10 minues is also a margn of safety on all flights, should a headwind develop or should sports mode be necessary to quickly get home. It's a major investment, but worth every penny to me. Multiple P4 batteries, that require landing and relaunching to use, cannot replace external batteries for extended flight times. Fortunately, I already made the battery and charger investment for my P3P's. The P4 aircraft battery mod allowed me to fly the P4 the way I do my P3P's. Jake's mod will now permit very close to the same results without voiding the aircraft warranty. That's a big plus! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Perhaps I can shed some light on it for you. With a 17 minute flight time, I am limited to a 3 mile radius from my launch point, if I fly straight out and back. With a 25 minute flight time, I can increase that to a 5 mile radius. Everything of interest is over 3 miles away. That extra 10 minutes is huge in terms of what I can reach, cover, and allows me to linger and find and even follow interesting subjects. To me, going back to stock would be like limiting all flying to a boring AMA Flying Field! The battery mod, with the RC mod, is what makes the tool worthwhile. The extra 10 minues is also a margn of safety on all flights, should a headwind develop or should sports mode be necessary to quickly get home. It's a major investment, but worth every penny to me. Multiple P4 batteries, that require landing and relaunching to use, cannot replace external batteries for extended flight times. Fortunately, I already made the battery and charger investment for my P3P's. The P4 aircraft battery mod allowed me to fly the P4 the way I do my P3P's. Jake's mod will now permit very close to the same results without voiding the aircraft warranty. That's a big plus! :cool:
Hey Guy, check this video. Maybe we can get a 2hr flight in a couple years.

Hey Guy, check this video. Maybe we can get a 2hr flight in a couple years.
Thanks! Now I see what Jake was referring to in the future. Promising, However, the flammability of hydrogen brings visions of a Hindenberg type drone explosion possibility to mind, and and an easy way for terrorists to use UAV drones as flying bombs! That won't be an easy sell to the FAA or NSA or the public, that already hates military dones that don't yet go on suicide bombing missions! :eek:

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Hahaha yes one crash would be quit a big kkkkkkaaaaboooommm!they history always repeats it self??
Indeed. Gas based batteries will only become mainstream when the gas cannister contains helium, instead of flammable hydrogen! Electricity and hydrogen go BOOM! Haven't we learned anything yet? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Indeed. Gas based batteries will only become mainstream when the gas cannister contains helium, instead of flammable hydrogen! Electricity and hydrogen go BOOM! Haven't we learned anything yet? :rolleyes:
Well we have learnt how to blow things up!what goes up must come down!!!thinks that's newtons 3rd law??

Well we have learnt how to blow things up!what goes up must come down!!!thinks that's newtons 3rd law??
It was a static electricity charge from the tethering line that took out the Hindenberg. A "hydrogen battery" powered drone strategically flown into a power line could easily blow up a transformer and take out a whole city! :eek:

How would that work? Helium is the least reactive of all elements; it does not react with any other elements or ions, you can't make a battery with an element that is inert.

How would that work? Helium is the least reactive of all elements; it does not react with any other elements or ions, you can't make a battery with an element that is inert.
Precisely! At least it wouldn't blow up! :D However, it's lifting properties are well documented. It's great for balloons! Flammable hydrogen gas, however, is not going to be acceptable as the battery fuel for consumer drones, no matter how efficient it may be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez