Maxx UAV - Secret Battery Mod!

We take it seriously [emoji1]. Festo is a German company founded in 1925 so even before Hindenberg crashed (1937). 2'000+ Patents.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's been over a month. I am guessing testing did not get the flight times expected. The added weight is likely to cause the P4 to fly like a brick and put stress on the motors and frame. The motors are matched for the weight of the craft. Adding weight will just make them work harder and drink the added juice quickly. Adding 5mins of flight time for $250+ batteries does not sound great to me.

Just my opinion.

Amy (and others) are working hard on new battery concepts but we must be patient .. Crafts could use Maxx UAV mod to host them once available, hope one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Griffin
It's been over a month. I am guessing testing did not get the flight times expected. The added weight is likely to cause the P4 to fly like a brick and put stress on the motors and frame. The motors are matched for the weight of the craft. Adding weight will just make them work harder and drink the added juice quickly. Adding 5mins of flight time for $250+ batteries does not sound great to me.

Just my opinion.
I can assure you that the added battery weight is not a problem. I've been successfully flying my P4 with 500g of external batteries since May. It has easily covered 12 miles in a series of 25 minute flights at least twice a week. Same as my several P3P's. Unfortunately, I fear the Mavic Pro will not be capable of handling much extra weight, and the insane popularity of the Mavic Pro may have killed off any further development interest in pimping out the P4 with Jake's version of the battery mod. I'm still interested!

Reactions: Bckmstr
Hey guys! Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I haven't heard from the designer in over a month now. I've tried reaching out to him unsuccessfully. I did get my unit for testing but it arrived damaged and I need to solder a few things back together. There are a few other people who are working on similar mods though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can assure you that the added battery weight is not a problem. I've been successfully flying my P4 with 500g of external batteries since May. It has easily covered 12 miles in a series of 25 minute flights at least twice a week. Same as my several P3P's. Unfortunately, I fear the Mavic Pro will not be capable of handling much extra weight, and the insane popularity of the Mavic Pro may have killed off any further development interest in pimping out the P4 with Jake's version of the battery mod. I'm still interested!

What is the P4's normal flight time? Thought it was 25 minutes stock?

What is the P4's normal flight time? Thought it was 25 minutes stock?

28 minutes is the advertised unrealistic marketing hype, and 25 minutes is only attainable if you never fly faster than 22mph with OA always turned on. That's like driving a Ferrari in a school zone! Realistically, for me, stock, it's about 17-20 minutes at 33-39 mph with OA off in P mode. Two 2800 mAh MaxAmp Externals kicks that up to 25-27 minutes for me.

Reactions: David Cooke
Hey guys! Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen. I haven't heard from the designer in over a month now. I've tried reaching out to him unsuccessfully. I did get my unit for testing but it arrived damaged and I need to solder a few things back together. There are a few other people who are working on similar mods though.

Thanks for your candor, Jake! Your word and your integrity are your bond! :cool:

Thanks Jake, was hoping for that one, but hey can't have it all!

One thing is sure, Mavic almost announces the end of modding days for such birds; Even though it seems to have pretty much all that a consumer wants, it's not an enthusiast product imho and even thinking of adding a GPS tracker or a getterback will be an issue let alone modding.

One thing is sure, Mavic almost announces the end of modding days for such birds; Even though it seems to have pretty much all that a consumer wants, it's not an enthusiast product imho and even thinking of adding a GPS tracker or a getterback will be an issue let alone modding.
I agree. Unfortunately, the Mavic Pro 4.1 mile control range and realistic 20 minute flight time won't fully replace my modded P4 or P3P's which have a 6+ mile control range and 25 minute flight time. On the otherhand, carrying a P4 "capable" drone and controller along inside your golf bag is now a reality! More field trips to come. Just need the Mavic to ship from B&H. :cool:

Exactly, sorry for the confusion! I should have one to test by the end of the week. I'll post more photos and a video then.

Did you /can you check if the batteries affect Tx or Rx of the P4?
Another idea: Why not combining this mod with an antenna mod or light weight amplifier? Clearly the Tx of the P4 is somewhat weak for long range/ none LOS.
just an idea..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl