Maxx UAV Antenna mod

Reaction score
After reading multiple, consistent posts here that indicate the stock P4 remote is a bit under powered compared to prior models, I began to research upgrade options. I then settled on the ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2 from Maxxuav.com. Along with it, I also purchased the Clean Install Kit and a pair of 5dBi Antennas.

The ordering process was flawless, and they were very quick to respond to some questions that I had about my order. Shipping was fast, and everything arrived neatly packaged with all that I needed to do the mod myself (other than tools).

Basically, the Clean Install Kit involves removing the stock antennas and their attached cables from the remote and then replacing them with new cables that leave you with screw-on antenna posts where your stock antennas used to be, allowing for you to affix the antenna of your choice depending upon the mission. Here is my finished remote with the included rubber post caps over the newly installed antenna posts.

1.JPG

The process of installing the Clean Install Kit was greatly aided by a tutorial video posted on the MaxxUAV.com website, and it is a must watch in its entirety prior to and then again while performing this mod. You will want to have all the required tools, and you will want to be confident when it comes to performing precise and delicate electronics work (no soldering involved). If you want the mod but feel after watching the video that you are not up to performing the mod yourself, they offer this service as well.

As mentioned above, it seemed sensible to add the 5dBi Antennas to this order, and here is the finished remote with them installed. They screw on quickly and are perfect for that quick up and stay close mission.

2.JPG

Here is the finished remote with the ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2 installed. The antenna plate mounts to a very sturdy, metal bracket that clips very easily and securely to the remote's, lower metal bracket, and the included cabling neatly connects the antenna plate to the remote's antenna posts.

3.JPG

4.JPG

I am not going to tell you that I have taken my P4 out and gotten crazy range with this mod, but I will say that on a particular one mile LOS mission over water along the coast, my stock antennas resulted in my remote and video feeds dropping to around 70%. I am sure there is some radio noise along this route as well - with a residential and business presence - so I felt it to be a good test. This same mission with the plate above installed, I was 100% solid the whole time. I have no plans of pushing my range to probably anything over 1.5 miles or so - as battery becomes a possible issue - but what I was looking for was signal reliability within this range. I feel strongly that this mod offers me that, and I am glad that I did it.

I ordered the exact same thing, sans antennas (which I may go back and get LOL). Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!

Do the 5dBi antennas seem to work better than the stock ones?

I ordered the exact same thing, sans antennas (which I may go back and get LOL). Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!

Do the 5dBi antennas seem to work better than the stock ones?

I am not really sure about that. For me, it is the convenience of simply being able to pop them on in a hurry and get airborne if distance is not a possible factor. My present case - the stock Styrofoam for now - does not allow me to pack my remote with the panel installed, nor am I able to pack the panel anywhere within this case. I have a little bag for it and keep it in my backpack ready to go with the cables attached. I just need to take it out, snap it on the remote and then screw the cable ends onto the posts. This does take a bit longer than the finger antenna pair, but if needed for that mission, it's the way to go.

*****Also, while it's on my mind, and this is mentioned in the install video and I think it's mentioned again on a card in the packaging. Never turn on your remote with no antenna attached. The lack of ability for the remote to transmit its signal will likely result in a fried remote...

I have the same situation with my case (Case Club Compact). I'm looking for signal reliability as well, so your post reassures me quite a bit. LOL

I am not really sure about that. For me, it is the convenience of simply being able to pop them on in a hurry and get airborne if distance is not a possible factor. My present case - the stock Styrofoam for now - does not allow me to pack my remote with the panel installed, nor am I able to pack the panel anywhere within this case. I have a little bag for it and keep it in my backpack ready to go with the cables attached. I just need to take it out, snap it on the remote and then screw the cable ends onto the posts. This does take a bit longer than the finger antenna pair, but if needed for that mission, it's the way to go.

*****Also, while it's on my mind, and this is mentioned in the install video and I think it's mentioned again on a card in the packaging. Never turn on your remote with no antenna attached. The lack of ability for the remote to transmit its signal will likely result in a fried remote...

I printed out a label and placed it right under the on/off button "Do Not Turn On Without Antennae" to remind myself.

I have the same situation with my case (Case Club Compact). I'm looking for signal reliability as well, so your post reassures me quite a bit. LOL
Good news--you don't. I have a Case Club Compact that I modified to accept my much larger MaxxRange antenna from Jake. I lost one battery compartment (not all of it) and my charger won't fit, but it works great with the bracket still screwed to the panel. See the last 3 posts in this thread for pictures:

CASE THAT WILL FIT RANGE MAXX EXTERNER W/REMOTE AS WELL

With the DBS02 you would need to do a bunch less trimming of foam, and you shouldn't have to trim the foam in the lid.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.