Losing Video at 300'

Reaction score
I have had my Vision for about 2 months and and have had no issues other than losing video at about 300' I originally thought it was just the area I was in so I recently took it to a couple of open fields with no obstructions and it still loses video connection at +-300'. I still have control of the Phantom so I can just pull back and regain the video feed. Should I just upgrade to the RE700 to get a little more range or could it be something internal on the Phantom causing the low signal. I have tested RTH and it work fine but I am leery of continuing out much farther than the video signal.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

Welcome to the forum, Jim. My P2V when I first received it would hold FPV about 1200 feet. 300 feet is very short. An upgrade to the RE-700 should make a big difference. As for why you only get 300 feet we will have to wait for one of the experts to drop by and give some advise.

Are you keeping the top flat part of the range extender pointing towards the quad, i left mine pointing towards me once and it kept dropping connection.

Also is it fully charged.?

What phone are you using, if android have you tried setting it not to find a better wifi (wifi >settings >auto find.

crash1sttime said:
Are you keeping the top flat part of the range extender pointing towards the quad, i left mine pointing towards me once and it kept dropping connection.

Also is it fully charged.?

What phone are you using, if android have you tried setting it not to find a better wifi (wifi >settings >auto find.

Yes, I have tried moving the flat part to keep it pointed at the quad. The wifi extender is fully charged also.

This happens on both my iPhone and an Android phone. The fields I am using for testing have no other wifi available. I just reset the wifi and went through the binding procedure again this morning to see if a reset will help. If it stops raining this afternoon I will go test again and do a screen capture of the disconnect.

Happyflyer, if I could get near 900' I would be excited with this setup. I just didnt want to purchase an RE700 and find out it is not the extender causing the issue.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Jim

JimC6 said:
.....Happyflyer, if I could get near 900' I would be excited with this setup. I just didnt want to purchase an RE700 and find out it is not the extender causing the issue.

Jim
Totally understood on that. Good reasoning.
With the RE-700 and several antenna upgrades, I have been out 10,000 feet away and up 500 feet and still had control and FPV. Others have done much better.
Hope you get it all sorted out.

Happyflyer said:
JimC6 said:
.....Happyflyer, if I could get near 900' I would be excited with this setup. I just didnt want to purchase an RE700 and find out it is not the extender causing the issue.

Jim
Totally understood on that. Good reasoning.
With the RE-700 and several antenna upgrades, I have been out 10,000 feet away and up 500 feet and still had control and FPV. Others have done much better.
Hope you get it all sorted out.

any easy to follow youtube videos on how to install some antenna upgrades that you could share with us?

Check out Simon Newton and Ben7seven7 on YouTube. I know Simon has a few for sure.

I'm having the same issue, fpv cuts out at 300 ft. i binded the extender, scanned the qr code, manipulated antenna position and all that. i would be impressed if i get 1000ft with a stock antenna.its likeI'm getting typical wifi range you get with a home network, nothing further.

the wifi light on the extender blinks green so its working right?

i also don't want to upgrade the antenna if its something i can fix

JimC6 said:
I have had my Vision for about 2 months and and have had no issues other than losing video at about 300' I originally thought it was just the area I was in so I recently took it to a couple of open fields with no obstructions and it still loses video connection at +-300'. I still have control of the Phantom so I can just pull back and regain the video feed. Should I just upgrade to the RE700 to get a little more range or could it be something internal on the Phantom causing the low signal. I have tested RTH and it work fine but I am leery of continuing out much farther than the video signal.

Jim

The vendor I purchased this from just sent me an RMA to ship back the RE500. They are shipping me an RE700 :D
Looking forward to testing this out and seeing if it was the range extender. Already packaged up the return so no flying for a few days. It was 1.6 degrees here this morning so it is a good time to be doing the swap.

Jim

I'm losing fpv feed at 300 feet too.. Drives me nuts when I do waypoints because I have to wait and hear it when it's flying back to reconnect.. Any solutions yet?

JimC6 said:
JimC6 said:

Jim

The vendor I purchased this from just sent me an RMA to ship back the RE500. They are shipping me an RE700 :D
Looking forward to testing this out and seeing if it was the range extender. Already packaged up the return so no flying for a few days. It was 1.6 degrees here this morning so it is a good time to be doing the swap.

Jim

is the RE700 better than just modding the antenna or following one of those youtube videos? i hear the Re700 doubles the range

moswissa said:
JimC6 said:
JimC6 said:

Jim

Jim

is the RE700 better than just modding the antenna or following one of those youtube videos? i hear the Re700 doubles the range

As far as the specs go yes
I have one with my p2v plus and can't wait to see how much better it really is for myself(my p2v would cut out and freeze at times and it drives me nuts

What preview size is everyone using?

When mine is set to 320 @15 fps I go out to the advertised range or more, if I increase the resolution to 640 @ 15fps I get drop outs and loss of signal much closer.

I haven't used the RE700 Yet.

320 @ 15

RCRookie said:

When mine is set to 320 @15 fps I go out to the advertised range or more, if I increase the resolution to 640 @ 15fps I get drop outs and loss of signal much closer.

I had mine at the lowest 320x15. I didn't try increasing it as I was only getting 300' at that setting. My RE700 should be here next week to try out.

I also tried the higher setting and it would act up just a few hundred feet so I will try a lower setting next flight

I have to say I like the ability to know how much battery life is left in the repeator battery while flying

It may be a day or two before I can again as the temps have been too cold for comfort

JimC6 said:
RCRookie said:

I had mine at the lowest 320x15. I didn't try increasing it as I was only getting 300' at that setting. My RE700 should be here next week to try out.

So how did the RE709 turn out as far as FPV range?

I'm debating on getting one or getting the FPVLR stage 2 kit that claims to get up to 5000ft. I like that the RE700 doesn't require modding and works right away.

moswissa said:
JimC6 said:
RCRookie said:

So how did the RE709 turn out as far as FPV range?

I'm debating on getting one or getting the FPVLR stage 2 kit that claims to get up to 5000ft. I like that the RE700 doesn't require modding and works right away.

I sent in my RE500 and the vendor agreed to swap it for the RE700. I don't have the 700 yet so I have not been able to test it out. I also ordered a P2V+ this week so if it gets here before the 700 I will bind it's 700 to the P2V to test.

dirkclod said:
[ So how did the RE709 turn out as far as FPV range?

I'm debating on getting one or getting the FPVLR stage 2 kit that claims to get up to 5000ft. I like that the RE700 doesn't require modding and works right away. ]
Not sure what the 500 would get, but with the 700 and the stage 2's I got 7200' with full Wi-Fi bar's .

wow 7200?! thats very impressive. I'm pulling the trigger on the RE700 for sure. that supposedly doubles the wifi range. is the stage 2 you have the pilots side? how was the installation? thank

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT