It was windy but I finally got a flight

Reaction score
A couple of flights this afternoon at the local reservoir. This time I was filming in 2.7k but its a pain handling the footage within Final Cut Pro X so in future I think I will just use 1080p 50 frames per second.

The windspeed was averaging 15 mph. I long for a 3 axis gimbal now. Its funny how quickly we start lusting after the next improvement.

https://vimeo.com/87495026

8y3ude9u.jpg

I Like this shot! I imagine it looks even better if it could be viewed in 2.7K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMKings said:
8y3ude9u.jpg

I Like this shot! I imagine it looks even better if it could be viewed in 2.7K!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well we will see soon as I have just been told how to edit 2.7K in Final Cut Pro X which turns out to be really easy. Isn't it just great how people just step up and help each other on the internet. I couldn't get Vimeo to accept the film higher than 1080p so I have uploaded it to Youtube. I will post it here when its finished rendering online.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Well we will see soon as I have just been told how to edit 2.7K in Final Cut Pro X which turns out to be really easy. Isn't it just great how people just step up and help each other on the internet. I couldn't get Vimeo to accept the film higher than 1080p so I have uploaded it to Youtube. I will post it here when its finished rendering online.

Could you share what you learned about editing 2.7K in FCPX? I have the same software and have shyed away from 2.7k because of the file sizes and rendering times. My imac is not that robust.

Shrimpfarmer said:
The highest Youtube accepts is 1440p. You have to play it on Youtube to be able to access that resolution though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7myU83PU4[/youtube]

Video won't play. Says "This video is private".

I also like that top-down shot of the giant drain. And some nice tracking shots along the path. Nice soundtrack too.

I don't know how you feel about props in frame, but I do find having the props in the shot are distracting though - it is a constant reminder that this was shot from a quad. I try and keep the props out of the shot, but I know this gets even harder when you are pitched forward for forward flight. One idea I have seen is to film it flying away from the subject, then reverse the clip in post.

I just fitted some prop guards and it is even harder to keep the shot clear as they sit lower than the props. I might have to take them off when going for a particular shot. Or lose them permanently.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Could you share what you learned about editing 2.7K in FCPX? I have the same software and have shyed away from 2.7k because of the file sizes and rendering times. My imac is not that robust.

Apologies on the video being marked private, it should play now.

Ok this is what I learned on using 2.7K in Final Cut Pro X.

FCPX does not offer a readymade template for 2.7K video when you create a new project as can be seen in this screen grab

All you need to do is select custom as highlighted in the picture.

Then when the custom menu appears enter the correct picture dimensions for 2.7k and the correct frame rate as shown in this photo.

Once thats done FCPX acts like any other editing experience. If you have a slower machine though it may struggle but you could of course create proxie files and edit those and let it use the full resolution video for the final production.

Attachments

• Project 001.jpg
    Project 001.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 414
  • Project002.jpg
    Project002.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 450
Firstly, nice video Shrimpy. As for 2.7k resolution, there's no point in delivering in 2.7k unless you have an amazing projector at home as YouTube will not really do it much justice and Vimeo doesn't support it. I think the best thing to do is shoot in 2.7k and edit in 1080p in FCPX. That way you can digitally zoom and pan. You have tons of extra shot for post stabilization. And you can use keyframes to animate any of those to your liking. Or simply conform it and it will look very well-defined and sharp.

ianwood said:
Firstly, nice video Shrimpy. As for 2.7k resolution, there's no point in delivering in 2.7k unless you have an amazing projector at home as YouTube will not really do it much justice and Vimeo doesn't support it. I think the best thing to do is shoot in 2.7k and edit in 1080p in FCPX. That way you can digitally zoom and pan. You have tons of extra shot for post stabilization. And you can use keyframes to animate any of those to your liking. Or simply conform it and it will look very well-defined and sharp.

Agreed.

@Gavinski

I used to hate props intruding into the shot but now I own a P2 I quite like them. I still have to experiment with forward tilt to ensure I get shots without them in the picture though. Your right that they can ruin films where the quad remains anonymous.

Shrimpfarmer said:
A couple of flights this afternoon at the local reservoir. This time I was filming in 2.7k but its a pain handling the footage within Final Cut Pro X so in future I think I will just use 1080p 50 frames per second.

The windspeed was averaging 15 mph. I long for a 3 axis gimbal now. Its funny how quickly we start lusting after the next improvement.

https://vimeo.com/87495026

Man, the shots over the reservoir over that hole of no return make me queasy. I'm so parnoid of losing it.
Nice vid!

@shrimp

That's cool. I was thinking that one of the benefits of filming in 4k is that is provides you with more options. So you can decide in post whether you want to crop out the props or not.

I was at CES this year and there were a bunch of 4k TVs on display, and some of them will be pretty reasonable in terms of price. So set aside some cash so you can watch your flights in all of their original 4k glory. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl