Why I Got a DJI Phantom 3 Standard + Details On Extra Accessories.

I know exactly what you mean! I found out about the free bag after I bought my p3s. I didn't want to risk waiting for the free one because I need mine to travel in January. The styrofoam on this one is pretty hard too! It's a quality bag for a great price.

The filters are great! I'll post up some pics and video after Puerto Rico for you to see and see a comparison.

Actually I'm glad someone else chimed in on this, the filters perform perfectly! No complaints. I agree with with mikep they drop when the camera is off but as soon as you turn it on it stabilizes. What I'm actually concerned about is the gimbal over hearing from constant use and the added extra weight, I haven't had that issue yet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Nice, ill probably end up buying them, they werent in stock when i bought the other ones. I was worried about the weight but i havent heard anything about it messing up the gimbal either. anyways, I always forget to change the shutter speed to double the frame rate when i use my nd filters lol

Hey if you bought it at a retail store, you should go back and ask for free dji hardshell backpack... i bought mine during black friday and they still honored the christmas deals with the free backpack

Are you getting the free backpack thru DJI or from the retailer? I bought my P3S at Sam's the week before black Friday but I didn't get a case...but I only paid $549 for the drone.

Are you getting the free backpack thru DJI or from the retailer? I bought my P3S at Sam's the week before black Friday but I didn't get a case...but I only paid $549 for the drone.

This is kind of confusing, I bought mine at best buy during black friday for $599. The Christmas deal is $699 with the free backpack. I spoke to the manager first and he helped me. basically, I had to "return it (i still kept the same one)", get the christmas deal w the backpack, then used price match (newegg.com) for $599.

So basically free backpack using the pricematch guarantee for $599.

Thank you, I agree with you completely! I ran a production house 2006-2012 when the HDSLR was picking up speed and the 5dmk2 was all everyone was talking about. Then afterwards a new camera would Come out every year touting bigger and better features. I would see a whole bunch of terrible work shot on expensive rigs and really great work shot by people who had experience and cheap gear. It's all about what you know. I noticed how the Standard has been almost completely overshadowed by the Advanced + Pro. I feel like it has some really great features for someone just starting out in aerial plus 2.7k is enough for almost most delivery methods the true advantage of 4K right now is just giving you more real estate to edit With, but still 1080p is prime! 4K hasn't been adapted on a consumer level for it to become a regular delivery method. I'll tag you on the after Puerto Rico thread so you can see how things play out. Post a picture of your bag for the rest of the thread to see if possible. Also what do you have in your kit?
Sorry about the pic, its getting dark here on the beach. I don't have that much in the way of extra equipment, prop gaurds for when I'm around people, like down on the beach, the backpack, extra sd cards, 8mb, a couple of ribbon cables for the gimbal, they tend to rip, a complete extra camera/gimbal, (long story), and extra props, although I haven't used any yet. My next "extra" is another 2 batteries.
20151225_172441.jpg

This is kind of confusing, I bought mine at best buy during black friday for $599. The Christmas deal is $699 with the free backpack. I spoke to the manager first and he helped me. basically, I had to "return it (i still kept the same one)", get the christmas deal w the backpack, then used price match (newegg.com) for $599.

So basically free backpack using the pricematch guarantee for $599.[/QUOTE

You made out good! Thanks for responding.

So basically free backpack using the pricematch guarantee for $599.

The free backpack came with their Christmas special. Some places like Best Buy will give you the bag without a return as long as you can show a receipt. Others like SAms club will have you return it like explained above. I've talked to 3 other people who got one after asking for it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry about the pic, its getting dark here on the beach. I don't have that much in the way of extra equipment, prop gaurds for when I'm around people, like down on the beach, the backpack, extra sd cards, 8mb, a couple of ribbon cables for the gimbal, they tend to rip, a complete extra camera/gimbal, (long story), and extra props, although I haven't used any yet. My next "extra" is another 2 batteries.View attachment 38508

I like the spot for the remote! I haven't gotten pro Guards yet, I flew mine inside the first day I got it almost chopped my arm off! Lol. Please tell me the story about the ribbons and the gimbal I want to know and kinda concerned. *hugs dji closely. Batteries are a must!

I like the spot for the remote! I haven't gotten pro Guards yet, I flew mine inside the first day I got it almost chopped my arm off! Lol. Please tell me the story about the ribbons and the gimbal I want to know and kinda concerned. *hugs dji closely. Batteries are a must!

My gimbal shot craps about 3 weeks ago. It got something called the harlem shake, just swung around wildly in every direction. I worked on it as much as I could, but couldn't get it working, so I sent it to a guy on here named Hunch. While it was away, I stuck a gopro on the drone just to fly. I knew it was going to be 2 or three weeks for my camera. Just used a helmet mount, with a non wifi gopro so there wouldn't be any interference. It worked, but not good enough, so I ordered another camera and installed it. My old camera is due back next Monday, so it'll be my extra. I think the gimbal goes bad before anything else, and the standards camera is only 379.00, so I just bought one.

You dont have to worry about the ribbon unless you crash. some people put the gimbal saver on theirs.
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver | Killer RC

You dont have to worry about the ribbon unless you crash. some people put the gimbal saver on theirs.
DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver | Killer RC
I just put grey duct tape on the vulnerable spots. But crashing it hasn't been an issue. The camera separates at the magnetic joint, and puts strain on the ribbon, which eventually rips. This was the problem with my last gimbal. Every flight, the drone would come back with the camera dangling by the ribbon. Don't know why, but I'm hoping this new camera will solve that. I'm thinking the magnetic joint was week for some reason. I drove from Missouri to Texas 2 months ago, with the drone in its case sitting on the bed. When I opened it, the camera was separated. So I think there was a flaw in my camera from the start.

I just put grey duct tape on the vulnerable spots. But crashing it hasn't been an issue. The camera separates at the magnetic joint, and puts strain on the ribbon, which eventually rips. This was the problem with my last gimbal. Every flight, the drone would come back with the camera dangling by the ribbon. Don't know why, but I'm hoping this new camera will solve that. I'm thinking the magnetic joint was week for some reason. I drove from Missouri to Texas 2 months ago, with the drone in its case sitting on the bed. When I opened it, the camera was separated. So I think there was a flaw in my camera from the start.

thats the point of the gimbal saver... it prevents it from disconnecting from the magnetic joint and the ribbon ripping.

From the website:
Product Description
The Killer RC – Gimbal Saver, for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro, Advanced, or Standard prevents gimbal separation and ribbon cable damage during a crash or hard landing. The Gimbal Saver pays for itself quickly.

thats the point of the gimbal saver... it prevents it from disconnecting from the magnetic joint and the ribbon ripping...
I guess I'll have to take a look at them. I thought they were just used to prevent the ribbon from getting damaged due to a crash.

And there is the 150.00 price difference. I paid 699 w free? case.
Sams won't have that avail. So we both paid the same if you get (buy) the same case. Gimmicks

I got a DJI hard shell backpack holder avai at Best Buy. $135.00
I don't know how to add a pic here. Sorry

I got mine last week from Best Buy and the deal included free hard backpack worth $149. The stores here do not stock it and it was sent free 2 day shipping.

Thanks for the thread. Took a good look at the list. I have been having a horrible time filming with the camera and I think the culprit is the sd card speed. Duh on my part. Good read. -Joe

I picked up a DJI standard end of November. I recently got back into photography and video and added the DJI to get Aerial visuals.
I'm focusing on Travel Photography and Video. I added the P3S to balance out my body of work by adding a different visual perspective.

My first travel photo adventure is this January, In Puerto Rico for a week. I'm taking it out and pushing it to the limits to see how it does. I'll update on findings when i come back mid Jan.

Below is a list of all the gear I got and why

DJI 3 Standard

In the Box

• Phantom 3 Standard
  • Intelligent battery (comes already inserted in drone)
  • 8 propellers
  • Battery charger
  • Mini-Usb chord for charging remote
  • 8GB MicroSD SanDisk Ultra 40MB write speed
  • Remote Control with phone cradle (iPhone not included)
  • Manuals (that were never read!
    1F606.png
    )
  • Different colored stickers (same as the red ones on the image below)
DJI-Phantom3_Standard11.jpeg

I choose the standard because I'm just starting out in aerials and based on my research this was the best way to learn and acclimate to the gear then upgrade later. The 2.7K video will suffice because my work will be viewed online mainly rendered out in 1080p. The 12MP for pics does a pretty decent job the option of getting all my pictures in DNG Raw means I can edit them till i get the desired outcome. Plus the Intelligent flight modes was a huge selling point for me! being able to set the camera on a course and focus on shot composition.

1.) Batteries!

The Standard uses DJI’s new Intelligent battery with an advertised 23 mins flight time on the standard. If you intend on flying for more than 20 minutes you’ll need a couple of batteries to keep you going! Expect to shell out a small fortune here! each battery is $149.

I was lucky and got 3 extra ones at $138(i've read of people who got them for $100 on some of the threads here) a piece on sale, that plus my original one gives me about 1 1\2 hrs of flight time. I expect to be out shooting in remote places without immediate access to power so having a few batteries will guarantee that I won’t miss a shot!

2.) Battery Charger

You just bought enough batteries to start your car good job! Now how do you charge them all?

In comes Smartree batter charger, for $39.99 vs just buying 3 DJI chargers at $120 or one DJI charging hub at $90
The charger can charge all 3 of my spare batteries at once, while the fourth one charges with the charger that came in the box with the camera.

61G7UUx8iwL._SL1000_.jpg

Or i can charge 2 batteries and my remote at once.

613horM8ADL._SL1000_.jpg

3.) Memory cards

All your videos and photos are saved to the camera on Micro SD cards (Inserted on top of the camera). My Standard came with a SanDisk Ultra 8gb HC1 Class 10 already inserted. I swapped that out with a couple of the SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-1 Flash Memory Card With Speed Up To 95MB/s. When shooting HD video and Pictures you want to avoid dropped frames or slow write speeds in between taking pictures so if possible get the fastest, highest rated card you can!

Also, a lesson I learned from doing video work on DSLR’s back in the day, don’t get cards over 16gb so you don’t end up loosing a lot of footage if it ever happens! This forces you to intentionally have to stop and swap cards. The last thing you want is having all your amazing video footage and those epic killer shots you just took on that 32gb or 64gb card to all get corrupted, lost or stollen by minions! (they usually come when its your best footage) I have several of these that I shuffle in between my cameras and any other equipment that uses SD.

4.) Bags

The first thing I realized after unboxing my Phantom 3 was how big it was! I tried fitting it into my regular daypack but that wasn’t happening! The camera has too many bulges where the propellers go and the landing gear. I needed to find a safe and discrete way to lug this bad boy around!

A simple search for DJI Phantom 3 bag, backpack etc, will lead you down a depressing road of financial torment! Most of the bags on sale for Phantoms were all in the $100-$200 range. In comes Amazon to the rescue! after 2 1\2 weeks of searching I came across the bag pictured below, The Ofeely Backpack for DJI Phantom 2 3 Vision Vision+ at only $56.

41JVc331uEL._SY300_.jpg

Toshare-Double-Shoulder-Casual-Backpack-Carrying-Bag-Outfield-Bag-Case-for-Dji-Phantom-1-2-Vision-Vision-Phantom-3-Professional-Advanced-0-450x450.jpg

The bag fits my Phantom 3, 4 batteries, chargers, propellers, remote, iPad as well as space for a water bottle on the side of the bag. I did however have to do some Macgyver-ing with a knife to where the remote controller was meant to go(the huge weird looking hole on the right of the quad cut out) it didn’t fit perfectly when i first received the bag. I’ll update on how the bag fairs after I take it out on a Photo Adventure

5.) ND Filters

41RtM04v54L._SX522_.jpg

Another important lesson I learned from shooting video and photo work in the past, If you have any intentions of shooting out in the sun or anywhere near it GET ND FILTERS!

I got the PolarPo DJI Phantom 3 Standard 3-Pack these attach right onto the rim of the camera.

Neutral Density filters (ND-filters) reduce light intensity without changing color. The circular polarizer filter helps enhance aerial videos by reducing the amount of light reflecting off the ground, sky, or water. Removing this reflecting light allows the Phantom 3 to capture beautifully saturated colors and improves contrast.

2-Stop ND4: This 2-stop neutral density (ND) filter is the middle shade used for filming on mild days, i.e. partly cloudy or during the golden hours(sunset and sunrise). This filter helps reduce highlights as well as reduces lens flare when shooting into the sun. This is the most commonly used of the two ND filters. 3-Stop Neutral Density:

The 3-stop ND8 is the darkest shade and should be used on very bright days. This filter helps prevent lens flare, and reduces any mild rolling shutter. This filter also slows the shutter speed enough to blur the propellers when they are in frame.

6.) Random Knick Knacks and doo daas!

Everything below is just personal improvements that I made to aid in my workflow while using my Phantom 3. These are not necessities, like everything from #1-5.

FPV LCD Monitor Mount Bracket

617ZPK7JihL._SX425_.jpg

The silver bracket in the middle allows me to mount my iPad and replaces the flimsy iPhone holder that came with my remote control. This piece only serves the purpose of changing the weight of my Monitor to the center, as well as a better location in correlation to the controls. This comes with a lanyard loop to attach a lanyard or harness of your choice.

Square Jellyfish Mini Tablet Tripod Mount

51Hvg9HOLL._SX425_.jpg

This mounts to the the top of the FPV bracket and holds my iPad Mini or any large screen smart phone(holds my iPhone 6 plus)

BW® JR PROPO RC Transmitter Neck Strap Neckstrap with metal Hook Adjustable

51TPr0gNtL-1.jpg

To offset the weight of the DJI remote over a prolonged period of time, add a lanyard that attaches to the center of the remote controller.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions! I'de be glad to help.

Also if any of you are in the Raleigh, Durham Area lets link up!

Below are some pics that i've shot with the DJI Standard.
FLIGHT-WB1903-2.jpg

FLIGHT-WB1903.jpg

And there is the 150.00 price difference. I paid 699 w free? case.
Sams won't have that avail. So we both paid the same if you get (buy) the same case. Gimmicks

I paid $699 for mine as well, went to Best Buy and asked for a case today. They are sending one in the mail. Go back to Sams and raise hell they will give you one.

Thanks for the thread. Took a good look at the list. I have been having a horrible time filming with the camera and I think the culprit is the sd card speed. Duh on my part. Good read. -Joe

You're welcome Joe! The card could be one of the issues, another can be how and what you use to edit. What's you're current set up from shooting to editing? I'll help you troubleshoot and figure it out. Also what issues are you having?

I guess I'll have to take a look at them. I thought they were just used to prevent the ribbon from getting damaged due to a crash.

This ribbon discussion is terrifying, Buford I felt like I was watching a horror flick [emoji23]. Holding my p3S close at every turn!

Here is everything all hooked up
d1fbc33e48ca3a1d26c465c65ec406c9.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl