Greetings from San Antonio

yesterday at Medina Natural area greenway, Hwy 16S. Thought drone was scaring cows but saw ATV roundup, time for steak. Need IMU,gimbal,and sensor calibrate to stop jitter on turning, and fix horizon. Big bldg is Toyota Plant.

Last edited:
Reactions: brysonc and JohnnyB
Hi all. My family and I are coming down to San Antonio from Kansas City 3/22 - 3/25. My son has a Phantom 4k and was wanting to bring it down to fly. We're staying at the JW Marriott and was hoping he could fly it out there but according to B4UFLY, there's a couple airports in that area. I was searching for anything I could find online in hopes to find a place for him to fly and I found your thread. You all seem like great people and we enjoyed watching your vids. I took screen shots of some of them areas you all fly at in hopes we could check one or two of them out while we're down there. I haven't looked to see how far they are from the JW, but we're renting a car and I wouldn't mind driving him where ever so he could fly. He's turning 15 in May and can fly his drone like he's been doing it all his life. It amazes me on how much he knows about them and I get as much of excitement just watching him fly it as he does flying it.

If anyone is available while we're in town, we'd love to meet up. We get in around lunch time on the 22nd and leave for KC in the early evening on the 25th. If none of the areas you all have posted are somewhat close to the JW, do you know any places near there that we may be able to go?

Thanks and sorry for such a long post.
- Patrick

Hi Wheeler- Welcome to Texas in advance. B4UFLY does show some heliports in the area but your not within 5 miles of any airport at the JW. As long as doesn't fly to far, he shouldn't have a problem flying around the JW, (this would save some wasted driving time). Also, I might be able to meet up with you and your son to fly some on one of the day's your in town too. I've also attached a screenshot of some of the places we fly more often. If your interested in any of these places I can send you exact addresses. Also Canyon Lake, north of the JW is supposed to be good to fly as well.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    588.1 KB · Views: 230
Hi Wheeler- Welcome to Texas in advance. B4UFLY does show some heliports in the area but your not within 5 miles of any airport at the JW. As long as doesn't fly to far, he shouldn't have a problem flying around the JW, (this would save some wasted driving time). Also, I might be able to meet up with you and your son to fly some on one of the day's your in town too. I've also attached a screenshot of some of the places we fly more often. If your interested in any of these places I can send you exact addresses. Also Canyon Lake, north of the JW is supposed to be good to fly as well.

This might be easier to see vs the pdf.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.09.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 8.09.14 AM.png
    609.2 KB · Views: 307
Piee - yes, it's in the Hill Country. Before I checked B4UFLY, I figured he'd be good to fly it around the golf courses out there. We've stayed there several times and it seemed like a good place he'd be able to fly. He wouldn't be flying it too far since we're not overly familiar with the area and don't feel like getting in any trouble :). I'll definitely check out Guadalupe State Park for him too.

PR - thanks for the info. The map gives me a better idea where you all fly at in comparison to where we're staying. I have a good friend that lives in Boerne that I was planning on going to see while we were in town and we could stop by Kyle Seale or Mystic Park on our way there to meet you one evening. My buddy works downtown, so I probably wouldn't head out to his place until the evening time. Are you available any afternoons or evenings Wed., Thurs. or Fri. this week?

Also, one other thing......has anyone taken their drones with them on a flight while traveling? Or know anyone that has? From everything I've read, it seems that we'll be ok with it and the batteries but I just don't want to have any problems or surprises when we get to the airport. He has a very good hard plastic case for it - similar to a suitcase on wheels that you can pull behind you - so I'm not worried about it getting broken or anything. We would be checking it as luggage rather than taking as a carry-on.

Piee - yes, it's in the Hill Country. Before I checked B4UFLY, I figured he'd be good to fly it around the golf courses out there. We've stayed there several times and it seemed like a good place he'd be able to fly. He wouldn't be flying it too far since we're not overly familiar with the area and don't feel like getting in any trouble :). I'll definitely check out Guadalupe State Park for him too.

PR - thanks for the info. The map gives me a better idea where you all fly at in comparison to where we're staying. I have a good friend that lives in Boerne that I was planning on going to see while we were in town and we could stop by Kyle Seale or Mystic Park on our way there to meet you one evening. My buddy works downtown, so I probably wouldn't head out to his place until the evening time. Are you available any afternoons or evenings Wed., Thurs. or Fri. this week?

Also, one other thing......has anyone taken their drones with them on a flight while traveling? Or know anyone that has? From everything I've read, it seems that we'll be ok with it and the batteries but I just don't want to have any problems or surprises when we get to the airport. He has a very good hard plastic case for it - similar to a suitcase on wheels that you can pull behind you - so I'm not worried about it getting broken or anything. We would be checking it as luggage rather than taking as a carry-on.
From what Ive read batteries have to be carried on, some recommend discharging before, not sure if theres a limit, I would recommend fire proof little bag for batteries $5. Maybe call airline for regs or check online for your particular airline.

The batteries have to also be stored with luggage, those can't go in the overhead storage of the cabin

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl