GIVEAWAY: Phantom 4 (winner = lalvar40)

I've been flying 3d RC helicopters and RC planes for over 14 years and I helped train and teach a lot of new pilots even with the Phantom 3 these are things I have run into with new pilots on the phantom 3.
It seems like a lot of fundamental things I can do new pilots struggle or cannot do so I do my best to try to help them out.
One thing I noticed it is hard for them to do turns Orbitz and backwards flying with turns and keeping the object they are trying to capture with the camera in center of frame.
These are some of the items I try to help out on new pilots.

1. I explain about safety how to determine if you're in a safe environment to fly about the rules with the FAA and regulations.
2. I explain about liability insurance like AMA in other insurance policies the new pilot may consider.
3. I explain how to check out the aircraft make sure that everything is okay for the flight because that is their investment and they do not want to crash because of a loose prop screw cracks or anything else defective or worn out.
4. I go over with the new pilot of what is their goals are what kind of flying style they like or think they will like are they trying to be a professional videographer or just sport/hobbyist.
5. Explaining about orientation and stick movement and switches and controls and how they affect the craft especially when the craft is facing toward you and flying nose in.
6. I explain about all the mode and functions like addi mode Setting points of interest like waypoints I explain my thoughts on course lock.
7. I explain the DJI go app camera functions and also options for ND filter and other aftermarket accessories.
8. On the phantom 3 I demonstrated what it's like to lose GPS by putting the craft in atti mode and letting it drift in the wind and however it and fly knows in I explain to the person that I recommend them to learn to however the craft in one location and fly in atti mode in case they ever lose GPS.
9. I explain how to make slow and fast proper turns keeping the camera on a fixed point of interest also I teach them how to do figure 8 in other fundamental flying .
10. I explain nose in flying how to fly backwards and do figure 8 backwards or keeping a fixed object or moving object in front of camera view while flying backwards and making turns.

Reactions: mcphipps
I can't suggest to you how to write a manual in details, even if i noticed many people is doing it in a really professional way. I don't have the technical competences and i also guess you already have your idea of how to write it in general and what structure it should have.
If i'm not wrong, you were looking for new ideas that could give to the training manual something special and different, so, here's mine:
Personally i'd find really really useful and fun to try, some short but really precise chapters dedicated to the "How to".
How to obtain specific results or to be able to film certain subject in particoular day time/situations, covering both software/technical explanations and pro-pilot tips 360º.
For example (i'm not a pro pilot, so these are just a silly examples to explain my idea don't laugh too loud :D)

"How to obtain a fluid 'National Geographic' style flyby video".Level of difficulty easy-medium.
-Video setting suggestion:
-for ex 60fps-, etc
-Detailed camera setting (depending of the time of the day etc)
-Reactivity settings of the control sticks
-Director tips: (where subject should be in the video, centered on a side etcetc)
Or
How to shoot a picture/video of yourself on top of a mountain "pro/climber style" - Level of difficulty: Medium
-Suggestions for drone settings
-Procedures for using P mode, for using features like POI in this case
-Warning on possible dangers of flying near cliffs(winds, etc)
-Possible and normal pilot emotions that could come out in these particoular situations and how to react to them etc.
Or
"How to take a good night shot":
-Camera settings (Ev, contrast etcetc)
-Fears of flying by night (i can't see my drone well, so tips like using correctly map and screen infos to feel safer)
-Aternatives and possible causes in case the shot doesnt come out as expected etc
(Not balances props creating vibrations etc).

You can add lots of typical classic shots or famous movie scenes to the "How to" section and give all hints and tips to get similar results.
The "How to section" could include short sample videos or sample pics giving a fast idea of what you could achieve following those istructions, making it easy and fun to learn, giving great satisfactions.
Newbies or even advanced users could find this extremly helpful and fun and could add variation themself using it as a starting point.
I know my english is not that perfect and i know my examples are really stupid and generic but i hope i've been able to let you understand my idea.
Thanks!

Tommaso

Last edited:
I would like a training on which quadcopter would be a good quadcopter to choose. I am in the process of deciding which one would be best for me. I would like to know, what specs make one quadcopter better than another? What am I looking for when I look at there specs? And why? Right now I have access to a Phantom 2, and I love it. I would like to know what the differences is between the Phantom 2 and the other Phantoms. A training like this will go a long ways in helping me decide on which quadcopter I should get.

I think that your training program should be comprehensive and cover from the basic to the advance. That way all users can find the program useful. The program can be broken down to four courses as listed below. I would be most interested in learning how to use third party apps.

Basic Course

Lesson 1 – FAA Regulations ( No-Fly Zones, 400ft max height, line of sight, etc)

Lesson 2 – Preflight, Calibrations

Lesson 3 – DJI Go App

Lesson 4 – Basic Control, Auto Takeoff and Landing, Return to Home, etc

Lesson 5 – Flight Modes (GPS, Opti, Atti, Sport)

Lesson 6 – Updating the Firmware

Lesson 7 – Phantom Maintenance

Advance/Autonomous Flight Course

Lesson 1 – Orbit

Lesson 2 – Follow Me

Lesson 3 – Waypoints

Lesson 4 – Tap to Fly (Phantom 4)

Lesson 5 - Visual Tracking (Phantom 4)

Lesson 6 – Manual Orbit

Lesson 7 – Difficult maneuvers for cinematic shots

Photography/Videography Course

Lesson 1 – Photo and Video Settings (1080p, 2.7k, 4k, FPS, White Balance, ISO, etc)

Lesson 2 – ND Filters

Lesson 3 – Photo Editing Software (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc)

Lesson 4 – Video Editing Software (iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, etc)

Advance Course

Lesson 1 – Third Party App (Litchi, Airnest, Autopilot, etc)

Lesson 2 – How to get FAA Exemption 333

Lesson 3 – How to market yourself

Lesson 4 – How much to charge clients

The Phantom training program can be presented by online instructional videos. You should have one video per lesson making it short and clear. In addition to the video lesson, a pdf checklist/bullet point document should be provided with each lesson so that the student can follow along and also can be used in the field.

I think a good idea would be a full training series. From beginner to advanced user. You can have them on YouTube or download/stream from your website. Video subjects could be things like how to avoid crashing on your first few flights. How to get smoother video by learning to fly slower and pan slowly, etc. Other videos could be tailored like which upgrades are worth it? What effect do carbon fiber props make? What about aftermarket batteries, do gimbal guards really save you most of the time, etc. How to choose a lens filter, what software to edit with, what formats work best for YouTube, vs. videos you want on your 75" TV, etc. Then there could be videos on full disassembly, adding antenna boosters with reviews of what gains are made for each type of modification, etc. People like myself are scrambling right now to find bits and pieces of this info from horrible YouTube videos and reading 1,000 pages of forums looking for a nugget of new knowledge, etc. I personally could not find anything about modifying a VR viewer to use with your phone for single screen viewing instead of 2 image fake VR. I decided to make my own here. Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?
These is so much that people want to learn about these amazing quads. I think having a 1 stop resource of good, solid, trusted info would be a godsend! I know I would support a business that was my main place for trusted info and good advice.

P.S. I could really use a P4 right now. I put my P3A for sale last week when I paid for a P3P from someone here. I mailed my P3A off today but the P3P I bought was LOST by USPS!!! I practically gave away my mint P3A on eBay, thinking I was getting a mint P3P and only losing about $100 or so in the swap, but the US Post Office had other plans. My P3P is probably stolen or in Alaska somewhere. :eek: I think I will never trust USPS for anything important again.

First of all thank you for this opportunity and for your idea to build this training.
My idea of a training on Phantom 3-4 starts mainly from my experience trying to understand at the best the capability of the drone, and can be described as in the following here below:

Short introduction

Who buy a P3P/P4 class drone does mainly to do aerial photography and video, in fact, in addition to being a drone with excellent navigation capabilities, with good stability and with excellent technological infrastructure, it has a very well good gimbal and adequate camera to obtain good results.
Moreover, the DJI GO default application offers many features to photography and video enthusiasts.
Unfortunately there are no structured information on how to best use the tools that DJI GO provides and has always forced to look around the web solutions to what you want to achieve.

DJI Phantom 3 Pro can take 4k video and Photos, with a lot of nice features, like braketing, HDR, long exposures, and build up also time lapse video.

It is also true that to get the best results, we should also have the capability to pilot the vehicle in the best way, so a training dedicated to P3P & P4 should be a good mix between how to pilot the aircraft to the interesting place and how to obtain at the top photos / videos.

The training program

What I would like to see in a training program dedicated to Phantom 3 and 4 is a structured training to bring people to know their vehicle and have a good experience flying it, avoiding any kind of frustration also in difficult situation, and using at the top the available tools to obtain the best pictures and video.

The training should be a mixture between written articles with images, and videos focused on specific topics (not too long).

It should be a training that take users by hands from the unboxing to the high level features offered by the product, to be short something like the following:

1. Phantom 3 and 4
1.1 Meeting the Phantom - Unbox and first set up

1.1.1 Gimbal lock removal and inserting onto the Phantom
1.1.2 Battery installation
1.1.3 Download and install DJI GO App
1.1.4 Charging the Batteries and the Remote Controller
1.1.5 Firmware update
1.1.5.1 Downloading the latest firmware
1.1.5.2 Update the firmware of the MC (two way possible)
1.1.5.3 Update the firmware of the remote controller
1.1.5.4 Update the firmware of the additional batteries

1.2 Knowing the Phantom
1.2.1 Phantom main components
1.2.2 Remote controller
1.2.3 Phantom's Led status and meanings

1.3 Pre Flight Operations
1.3.1 Mount the Propellers
1.3.2 Connect the aircraft - Turn on RC, Batteries and connect DJI GO App
1.3.3 Register Home Point and Calibrate Compass

1.4 First Flight and main flying information
1.4.1 Safe fly remarks - No fly zone - Knowing the flight area
1.4.2 Automatic take off
1.4.3 Start the engines - Manual Take off
1.4.4 Basic Controls
1.4.5 Automatic and manual Landing

1.5 Common Flying operations and available information
1.5.1 On screen flying information - telemetry
1.5.2 Gimbal control, Take Pictures and Record Videos
1.5.3 The status bar - Warning message and colors meanings
1.5.4 Battery level and Battery level indicator - time to RTH and main checkpoints

1.6 Mode P Flight
1.6.1 Minimum GPS requirements
1.6.2 P-GPS, P-Opti and P-Atti Submodes
1.6.3 DJI GO User Interface for Flying P Mode
1.6.3.1 Camera view
1.6.3.2 Map View
1.6.3.3 Manual Return Home using Map Information, Green Line and Home Point
1.6.3.4 Automatic RTH

1.7 Intelligent Flight Mode F
1.7.1 Point of Interest
1.7.2 Follow Me
1.7.3 Waypoint
1.7.4 Home Lock
1.7.5 Curse Lock

1.8 Mode A
1.8.1 Why and when use the A mode
1.8.2 Vision positioning system

2. DJI GO App
2.1 DJI GO Settings
2.1.1 MC Settings
2.1.1.1 Basic MC Settings - flying mode, max altitude, max distance, Gain & Expo Tuning
2.1.1.2 Advanced Settings - Multiple Flight Mode, IOC and reset, RTH Altitude, RC Signal lost action, Front LED light switch, enable vision positioning system
2.1.1.3 Sensor settings
2.1.2 RC Settings - Gimbal weel speed, RC Calibration, Stick Mode, Custom button settings
2.1.3 Image transmission Settings
2.1.4 Aircraft Battery Settings
2.1.5 Gimbal parameters settings
2.1.6 General Settings

2.2 DJI GO in flight Interface
2.2.1 Real time camera view
2.2.2 Camera settings bar
2.2.3 Camera Menu
2.2.4 Photo / Video Switch
2.2.5 Shutter Button
2.2.6 Play Button
2.2.7 Shoot Settings

3 Aerial Photos
3.1 Understanding Phantom 3 Pro Camera limits
3.1.1 Fixed aperture (2.8f has limitation in bright sunny days)
3.1.1.1 Use of additional ND and Polarizer lenses
3.1.2 Fixed focal lenght (20mm with a FOV of 94°)
3.2 Shoot simple photo
3.3 How to get HDR Photo
3.3.1 HDR using the DJI GO HDR button
3.3.2 HDR using AEB DJI GO (Auto Exposure Bracketing 3 or 5 photos)
3.4 Multiple Shoot (3, 5 or 7 shots)
3.5 How to shoot long exposure
3.6 How to create a Time Lapse using the DJI GO timed shots

4 Aerial Video
4.1 Creating simple video
4.2 Using Mode F Intelligent Flight Mode to obtain cinematic results
4.3 Using external software to get the best control while shooting video
4.3.1 Autopilot main features
4.3.2 Litchi main features

3. Special Operations
3.1 RC Calibration
3.2 IMU Calibration

Last edited:
I'm giving away a brand new Phantom 4 to one lucky Phantom Pilots member!

View attachment 45630

Interested? Here's what you need to do:
  • I'm putting together a Phantom training program (for the Phantom 3 & 4) and am interested in hearing what you would like to see included in that program. You could tell me what you would like to learn, how you would like it to be presented, etc. I'm basically just looking for suggestions related to what you would expect/want to see. There are no wrong answers :)

• Only your first post will be considered. Feel free to edit your first post if you would like to add any thoughts to it.

• DJI starts shipping the Phantom 4 on March 15th. I ordered this Phantom shortly after they started selling them this afternoon, so I expect that my order will be shipped within the first week they start shipping. This giveaway will run until the day I receive this Phantom on my doorstep.

• I will personally pick the winner by choosing my favorite comment in this thread.

• The Phantom will be shipped to the winner the following business day after I receive it (I'll cover the shipping cost).

Thank you to everyone who has supported me by purchasing products at PhantomHelp.com. Your support has allowed me to spend time helping members here, put together a list of the best Phantom tips & products, develop free 3D printed products (like the CSC Safety & Phantom 3 battery covers), create a free DJI GO & Litchi flight log viewer, hold giveaways (like this one), and beyond!

If you like the work I'm doing and would like to continue to support me, please consider purchasing your Amazon/eBay/DJI Phantom products from PhantomHelp.com. Each purchase you make earns me a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Thank you again for helping me do what I enjoy :)
I would like to see a tiered program available, as with a lot of technical training. Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. That gives one the opportunity to view relevant content in digestible portions, and better maintains the student interest.

When I bought my phantom 3, I was so worried I would crash it and ruin it. What I would have appreciated would have been a way to have live instruction on flying the phantom, but let's be honest; learning to fly the phantom only takes most people a few minutes. What I and most people could use is a class that informs people about how to unlock the full potential of the phantom drones. Instruction on how to use the settings and what each function controls would be nice. After that, instruction on how to get the best photographs and video would be helpful (ex. Using filters and adjusting camera settings manually). There amount of info about using drones available is still fairly limited, so I think what would be awesome is a complete program for people to learn how to fully utilize their drone and not waste it's potential.

In reading the posts, one thing stands out more than anything else. There is a need for training in all areas, from basic flying to editing the photos and video that the Phantom can produce. I have also noticed that there has been a fair amount of work in some posts with proposed topic outlines and subject matter. And I agree with almost all the comments, areas of interest, and needs.
I have also searched the web for various topics (ex: Litchi and AutoPilot), and found that there are some good resources already available. There are good YouTube videos (and some not so good) as well as documented (written) material. And as always, if you can find one, RTFM.
My suggestion would be to use this forum (or a sub-forum) to create instructional material in the form of original videos for each of the outlined points in the Phantom Flying arena. For an example of the final product, take a look at the instructional material and the organizational method use by KelbyOne (primarily for photography and the software use for editing, etc.) - The Art of Digital Photography: The Inspirational Series with Kevin Gilbert - KelbyOne or any of the courses offered by Lynda.com - Premiere Pro Video Courses and Tutorials from lynda.com.
Most of the courses are offered in (relatively) short videos running from an intro at 2 minutes or a more involved explanation that might go 9 minutes. The organization of your training material might be a course (or chapter) for unboxing or first flight broken up into the short videos. Consider the videos like a chapter sub-heading or paragraph. And then the next paragraph, etc.
Also to consider is to provide links to the already available resources: For Litchi:
or
Keep in mind that a subject such as editing the video taken from the Phantom or how to set the camera settings, using neutral density filters have a learning curve all on their own. Applications such as Premier Pro or Premier Elements are up to the task for video, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, ACDSee, or Picasa for photo editing.
This is a daunting task. So one final recommendation: Find some volunteers that might have the skill set needed for each topic. You might have to vet the provider and output (not all videos are equal) but, again, look at the Kelby and Lynda offerings; they use many different instructors that are tailored to each subject.
Just say'n...
LpGrumpy

An inspiring intro to the Phantom in general. We have been bombarded with videos of new drones, Phantom included. Though no company has been very specific on the technology being used for so many different aspects of video and flight as one. Just a few years ago the only aerial footage has been done with expensive budgets and huge machines. The gratification in knowing the versatility of being able to do something as important as search for lost hiker or perhaps something as small as video my child's soccer game from a perspective which only a few years ago was impossible. Taking the time to enjoy the technology which we now have and can build on is in itself truly amazing and look forward to seeing what other capabilities the human imagination can explore using the power of flight and photography. Weather it be for art, science, or perhaps exploring places we only once dreamed. The aerial drone, is truly only limited by our imaginations. I'm excited to be part of where we are headed and personally feel very fortunate enough to play a small roll.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I definitely need one P4 to get first hand experience to keep helping P4 community effectively. I can't afford to buy right away, feel so much pain. Now back to your point:

I have been working in engineering industry for over 40 years and realized that one needs to analyze a problem from many different angles to arrive at the correct solution. There is no ready-made cookie available that you eat it to get the solution. Products are designed for people to use but the user manuals and the design specifications are usually very concise and not designed to keep users in mind. Sometimes it appears that these manuals have been published just to complete a formality. The result of it is well known that users seek help on the forums or online blogs to get even their simple problems resolved.

DJI Phantom series too fall into the same category. Information is scattered all over place and it becomes difficult for users to quickly get the help what he / she needs. Same question is asked again and again and many forum members try to share their experiences. Many a times, we get conflicting information and users get confused to figure out what to accept.

It’s high time that we prepare a structured documentation, which is a “one stop shop” for all the topics. We need to pay attention to the following basic foundation characteristics of the documentation:

1. Easy to edit
2. Easy to expand
3. Easy to search information

Mode of presenting the material should be through simple and easy to read text with the possibility of including images and videos to give more visibility to the text.

Document should have the following sections to start with, more can be added as we need them:

1. Index
2. Unboxing
3. Product Specifications
4. Quick Start Guide/ Check list
5. How to fly, features and settings
6. SW/ FW versions and installations
7. Calibrations
8. Technical descriptions
9. Maintenance
10.Troubleshooting
11. Users experiences
12. Accessories
13. Third party apps
14. Service and repairs
15. Tools

Last edited:
Dear M Singer,

your post is an excellent marketing idea that brings both pilots and newbies alike together on this interesting topic.
I fly a P3 pro version and it took a while for DJI to fix all the bugs and problems that caused two catastrophic crashes. My drone was in repairs for more than two months. :( Fortunately for the past few months it flies like a dream, and I'm using it now for mapping and 3D modelling.:cool:

Suggestions for workshops/training: safety and pilot awareness/reaction with hands on explanations to all the things that can go wrong should be on the top of your list. I participated last year at a P3 product launch in Germany and was extremely disappointed when we couldn't even fly or try the product before buying.:mad: On the invitations they misleadingly wrote "try the new Phantom 3". If you promise something to members who sign up, then keep to your word. :eek: So having said that, you should definitely have hands-on workshops. Explain the do's and don't s without boring participants... demonstration always over talking. Find out what experiences people have and use that in your training. Do something awesome with the drone (because it is a freaking awesome machine). Be Android friendly not just Apple geeks. Lot's of people don't use Apple products (Why pay 800 dollars for a phone?????) Compare (by displaying) the difference in video and photo quality of the P4, P3, Inspire and other comparable drones. Set up an obstacle course and possibly an indoor test flight. Have a few lenses on hand for the photo and video buffs (ND etc). And of course a quick paced Q & A should close the "theory" part of your meeting. That's all I got for now :)

Really hope I win your contest because I can't afford to buy a new drone ;)

greetings to all,

Doug Cornwell

Something I've always wanted to see in a tutorial series is instructions on creating cinematic camera shots. I know how to fly my drone in a straight line and do basic shots. But I'd like clear instructions on here's a great way to fly over a trees, or hills. This will make for a great shot. Some basic cinematography tips would go a long way. I know all the technical aspects but not the creative ones I need to make a beautiful shot.

• Camera angles
• Pulling up, while directing gimble
• Examples of common shots seen in movies when drones are used

Reactions: Douglas Cornwell
I want to enter this giveaway not for me, but for my boyfriend who is a Phantom pilot (he is using dji phantom 3 now).
He always tell me how much he wants to learn more about the safety of flying the drones to take the best shot (like how to prevent it from falling or losing), how to master choosing the best angle, and also how to master the camera-setting.

I want you to give first-timers a lesson on how to navigate THIS forum and be helpful or listen without the constant judging, armchair flying, and rudeness that isnt helpful. Its surprising how short of time it takes from ones first post til they become jaded and rude. For the most part we're one big family and share a wealth of help and info. I just want it stay on track, so my wish is a thread that is a course in " FORUM ETICATE" . Good luck

Last edited:
A true training program should include all aspects of the Drone flying and operation

1. Knowing the basic components
Detailed pics of components and how they work , I've read about the IMU and compass but have never seen it , maybe a basic assembly and disassembly , Battery construction and maintenance
operation of how the drone flys , for example would be good to know why some props rotate faster and slower than the others to maintain stable flight,
3. Tutorial for learning the DJI app and functionally of the controller , DJI app has a lot of functions that are not explained well in DJI learning forum, RTH settings , battery settings
4. Knowing how the gimbal stabilizes the camera , how to remove and reattach gimbal , basic maintenance , should I be oiling joints , checking for wear on gears over long term use
5. Camera setting , I haven't taken much camera courses , so I rely on posts from others to get best video/pic results , would be nice for some to explain the camera in depth , from sensor to wb/sharpness , iso setting , how Nd filters work ,explain how different settings affect the video/pics include a few labs where you have to take your phantom out and try to get certain affects you explain , example shots during sunrise/sunset , or some black and white shots , live action shot , little labs like that makes it fun and reinforces the lesson just learn , post the videos/pics of the labs so we can see everyone's take on it, seeing a really good pic/video gets a discussion going
5. Flight and control of the phantom
Basic maneuvers to advanced maneuvers , practice makes a better pilot , example flying in a box to figure 8 , waypoint flying and F mode flying options
6. Troubleshooting , advanced drone and app , always has bugs and problems , nothing is prefect , I would include a section that's explains how to fix the most common problems that arise , because you see it on these forums all the time

I could keep going on , but for me , I learn the best when a lesson is taught and has you go out and reinforce the lesson , after all it's about flying and enjoying your drone
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ways to avoid crashes(proper flying technique), that the new obstacle avoidance may not avoid(side or rear crashes). Also ways to recover your phantom from its RTH if it started to drift too close towards an obstacle.

As a newb in the drone world this is the kinda training I'd like to see:

Firstly starting off with information (both legal and useful tips) and basic flying to improve confidence with the drone and its capabilities and limitations to reduce chance of an accident. I know my biggest fear for the first few times was the drone flying off or me pinging it into something. Appropriate weather conditions could be included

After the basics have been achieved, I'd like to see more advanced configurations for the drone discussed and demonstrated as there's quite a few menus I look at and think "wha?!"

After flying is all sorted I'd then like to go into getting the best out of the camera, what are the benefits behind using filters, what are the best settings to use and when and also creative ideas to get that professional looking bit of footage I've been after

Finally just a basic guide to video editing as that could be a completely different subject which would go well off topic of the drone

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Dear msinger,

I am a 12 year old boy who loves drones. My uncle is a photographer. I currently have a Phantom 3 right now, and I would love to have a Phantom 4. I would fly it everyday (just like I do with my Phantom 3), and I will be the best photographer ever!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) You will be my favorite person in the world!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Christopher

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl