Gimbal Motor Overloaded intermittent error since 1.2.0

It's back. The gimbal overload error as well as the sonic error. Just wishful thinking I guess. I hope the next update comes out soon.

I'm getting the "Gimbal motor overload" error too.
Just got my P3P today.
Thoroughly updated and calibrated.

Seems I get the error when there is wind coming from the left, see video:

Firmware: 1.2.6
DJI Pilot Android app: 1.2.0
Tablet: Nexus 7 II

Anyone else seen this in windy condition?

Just do the sensor calibration and it will go away then do any other calibration it may offer and not need. There are videos to back up what I just said as well. Im just saying. Its good to do all the available calibrations after any update to firmware. Balance your props too.

Reactions: Andpao13
Well this is quite strange, I got the warning on every single flight since I did the update, got my third battery on Friday and have since had 4 flights, and for some strange reason I don't get the warning any more! Happy :)

Did you leave your bin file on the Memory card inside the quad so each battery could be updated as well?

No do not leave the file on and from what i know they say there has not been any battery updates! No idea why it went away, the only other thing i did was a cold imu calibration!

I can report that now with 10 more flights in sence fixing my issue with the gimbal over load from the gimbals losing its zero at center and wandering left is now gone completely gone. All it took was to redo the compass calibration AFTER an IMU. and also doing the compass calibration in a different location made all the difference being the mod values for the compass are dead nuts on 1500ish for me. also all my other flying issues such as the phantom wanting to drift about 6 feet to its left after any time I would come to a stop if flying forward or hook to the right after coming to a stop if going backwards after the last firmware update has also completely gone away also. and My red paper air plain icon on the map is also perfectly dead on now to. were it was always a few degrees off. Tho I still keep finding some issues with my video feed after the updated app install and it sucks balls. So I'm going to try and see if going back to the old version will bring that all back to being normal again. esp after last night it really was ticking me off that even only about 300 feet away and a clear line of site. My video feed would get all corrupted and then Id have to keep backing out of the app and go back in to be able to see any thing on my screen.

Still have the "gimble motor overload" and sporadic gimble shake.

One new observation
After an IMU calibration indoors on the floor (was quick, only took a few minutes) and then another compass calibration right before flight in an open field, the "overload" error started to pop up continuously just before takeof (engines not yet started). Note that the camera could move freely, not touching the ground, and there were no grass or anything.
I then carefully touched the camera and manually rotated the camera slightly around all three axes, and then the error stopped occurring.

Shake during flight
I then took of and gained height to 120 meters (my current max), panned 360 degrees, and no gimble shake at all. Rock steady.
But after flying about 100 meters forward into the wind the gimble started to lose stability for about 15 seconds (see video below).

About 10 seconds into the video, the gimble shake can be seen and then getting worse until 27 seconds into the video, where the shake suddenly stops and the gimble sort of snaps back into control (exactly as in my previously video).
Note that I did not touch the tilt nor the pan controls here, I was only flying straight forward at 120 meters altitude.

When I noted the shake I just let go of the controls hoping the gimble would stabilize, which it did.

I'm a brand new flyer, just got my P3 this past Friday. When I opened my P3, the clear plastic gimbal lock wasn't actually on the aircraft, it was lying in the box. But it did have the white foamy thing on, which I've removed. As soon as I turned it on, it had this "Gimbal Motor Overloaded" error, but it wasn't constant, it was sporadic. However, when if did pop up, I was no longer able to tilt my camera up or down.

The irritating part is it's inconsistency. I do not always have the error, and sometimes I can actually control my camera. Other times, it just doesn't respond at all.

Is this the same issue everyone else is having. Is there anything I can do? I manually tilt my camera up and down when the drone is off, and it feel likes there are some catches or something that sometimes stops the camera from tilting.

I wouldnt keep moving it while its off homie.. most us get the error after updating. If your getting it you could have a real hardware error due to improper packaging. I would have taken pics and had a video of me unboxing it as well as testing afterwards so youd have something to show DJI. Id probably leave out the part where you moved the camera around. They're gears inside that. Dont force it around. I don't think man handling is a technical solution.

Are you able to gently and smoothly rotate the gimbal by hand when off? There should be no catching through the range of movement. Does hitting c1 free it up? I had this problem =..from landing i had debris stuck in the hinges of the camera= cleaned with compressed air and no longer have issues... Worthwhile to check

Are you able to gently and smoothly rotate the gimbal by hand when off? There should be no catching through the range of movement. Does hitting c1 free it up? I had this problem =..from landing i had debris stuck in the hinges of the camera= cleaned with compressed air and no longer have issues... Worthwhile to check

No, when moving it by hand, it does catch in a spot or two. I'll get some compressed air today and see if that helps any,

Just got my B&H warranty replacement P3P. Have not flown yet. Having constant gimbal overload in my living room. Says to remove gimbal clamp but it IS removed. Tried multiple gimbal auto calibrations, as well as lots of IMU calibrations. Also getting week signal warnings when I am just feet away and the high latency times as well cut outs outs in feed.

The package from usp was damaged but the box for the phantom seemed ok. SHOULD I RETURN IT? There is no way I can fly with theses issues. Could this all be caused by the new app? Please help me if you can with advice.

You said you removed the gimbal lock, I assume the clear plastic piece but what aboout the white foam piece behind the camera?

I had been struggling with the newest app, 1.2.0, ever since it updated on its own when I forgot to disable auto updates. With the new app, I was getting the now common gimbal overload error, plus also frequent lost video signals and lock ups when turning on video recordings while in flight. I hadn't seen any of this in my first 100 flights, all with the older apps. Only since the new app, 1.2.0.

Of course I had already tried all of fixes like the app delete/reinstall and calibrations, etc. Nothing eliminated the issues. It was a bummer, but I could deal with the issues as they appeared and still fly. It was mostly just distracting is all since I do want to monitor for any real issues.

I was showing off the P3 to some friends at the July 4th BBQ on Saturday. All of the issues were driving me nuts, and people were losing interest. You know how you want everything to be perfect during a demo? I decided to give up on version 1.2.0 and return to 1.1.2.

I sync'd my flights, deleted 1.2.0, added my saved copy of 1.1.2 back to the apps folder, then re-installed 1.1.2 to my iPad. I logged in from 1.1.2 and sync'd back all of my 108 flights. Easy as can be, and took maybe 7 minutes total from start to finish.

Okay, now back outside to the BBQ to try again.

Absolutely flawless flight. No errors, no lost signal, no issues at all with the app locking up when pressing record. It was just like it used to be before the new app came out. Nice.

I flew again on Sunday and yesterday (Monday) about 10 flights additional on those two days. Again, no issues at all. Back to normal. All of the issues introduced with 1.2.0 were now gone.

Why didn't I do this sooner?

Of course, it seems that everyone has a different experience. That was just my own, and the root cause of my issues was very clearly the new app, 1.2.0.

Last edited:
Pretty clear from your experience what the problem is. I was not able to go back to 1.1.2 and continue to have constant "Gimbal Overload Warning", and "Gimbal Overloaded" with props turning on the ground, on each and every flight. Fly's and records okay but it is very aggravating to have this popping up on your screen every few seconds. Worried that I'm missing some other message. Prior to the update, I never saw it. It's a sensitivity issue and for those that say they fixed it with compass calibration and/or IMU calibration, I tend to doubt that. It will return for you too. Does not seem to be limited to just a few of us. Way past time for DJI to fix this in an update. Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said you removed the gimbal lock, I assume the clear plastic piece but what about the white foam piece behind the camera?
Thank you very much, I found it! It was different on my old one. This was not easy to see like the last one but tucked up and away. I hope I did not cause any damage.

Did you guys try my suggestion?

After that you have powered it up and initialization has finished, but before you start the props, just touch the camera body and gently rotate it around the three axes, end to end for each axis. It will not resist much, it will let you rotate the camera. When you remove your hand, the camera immediately returns to the default position without any errors.

(someone incorrectly stated that the gimbal motors contains gears, but they do not. They are direct drive, and no harm will be done by rotating the camera by hand)

To me it seems like some calibration problem, as if some threshold has been set to low in the new version.

If you try this before flight, do you still get the error during flight?

Did you guys try my suggestion?

After that you have powered it up and initialization has finished, but before you start the props, just touch the camera body and gently rotate it around the three axes, end to end for each axis. It will not resist much, it will let you rotate the camera. When you remove your hand, the camera immediately returns to the default position without any errors.

(someone incorrectly stated that the gimbal motors contains gears, but they do not. They are direct drive, and no harm will be done by rotating the camera by hand)

To me it seems like some calibration problem, as if some threshold has been set to low in the new version.

If you try this before flight, do you still get the error during flight?

For me, yes it still happens even after rotating the camera by hand. But it's not consistent, it doesn't happen all the time. When I do rotate the camera by hand, it catches in a few spot. I'm thinking there some particulate (like dirt maybe) in there. I'm gonna go get a can of compressed air and see if I can resolve it. I tried just by blowing on it, but no resolution.

Pretty clear from your experience what the problem is. I was not able to go back to 1.1.2 and continue to have constant "Gimbal Overload Warning", and "Gimbal Overloaded" with props turning on the ground, on each and every flight. Fly's and records okay but it is very aggravating to have this popping up on your screen every few seconds. Worried that I'm missing some other message. Prior to the update, I never saw it. It's a sensitivity issue and for those that say they fixed it with compass calibration and/or IMU calibration, I tend to doubt that. It will return for you too. Does not seem to be limited to just a few of us. Way past time for DJI to fix this in an update. Come on DJI!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you and what seems to be the prevailing consensus in the forum that it is a sensitivity issue introduced with the new app, 1.2.0. I also believe that even with the assorted "I fixed it" posts that it really wont be fixed until the app is updated again. Until then, go out and fly!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl