Gimbal Motor Overloaded intermittent error since 1.2.0

It happens to me too with latest Android app, but I ignore it and it goes away pretty quickly. Might be as soon as I launch, can't remember, but is clearly a false positive since there's nothing jamming the gimbal. Hth

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oso
Just some more information, the overloaded message is in the binary of the 1.2.0 ios app, but it is not in the 1.1.2 ios app.
new_app_memory.png

Reactions: Oso
I'm the original poster of this thread and what appeared to be a false "Gimbal motor overloaded" error in iOS 1.2.0 actually turned into a legitimate error as my gimbal ended up stuck in a every 2 second gimbal pulsing/vibrating scenario. Just wanted to give a heads up and I hope it turns out to be a false alarm for the rest of you, but I had to send mine off for service, unfortunately.

Video-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow those little cracks that sucks... Im glad you shared that so I can keep an eye on mine.

Same here, Just got my P3 yesterday and did the upgrade last night. and got this before my maiden flight this morning.
upload_2015-7-25_12-22-52.png

Same here, Just got my P3 yesterday and did the upgrade last night. and got this before my maiden flight this morning. View attachment 25767
In your case since its new and that was your first flight, did you remove the small piece of packing foam at the top of the gimbal?

They've had plenty of time to fix this...removing the lines of code in the last pilot upgrade is pretty simple. But no, we're dealing with a Chinese Company that doesn't seem to give a crap. I was told by DJI in June this would be fixed within a week.......right.

If it's just lines of code that bring up a non-error, why is everyone so upset about it? I know it's not something that is actually affecting my flight or gimbal performance, so I just ignore it. If it was popping up in the middle of the screen and I had to press OK or something to get rid of it, then it would be annoying. [emoji16]

If it's just lines of code that bring up a non-error, why is everyone so upset about it? I know it's not something that is actually affecting my flight or gimbal performance, so I just ignore it. If it was popping up in the middle of the screen and I had to press OK or something to get rid of it, then it would be annoying. [emoji16]
Like you, mine does fly well so far, regardless of the constant gimbal overload warnings. If you don't mind being distracted with warnings popping up all the time at the top of the screen, then that's fine. I disagree. Guess you feel, like DJI, it's not a big deal. Maybe that's why it's not getting fixed?

I think that most people just ignore it, same as I do. My concerns are if it actually becomes a real gimbal error I will ignore it, and also if another error arises that it will be masked by the gimbal error message. Even so, I still fly without fear but will welcome the fix when it arrives.

Reactions: JoBe and acherman
Ever since I updated the iOS DJI Pilot App to 1.2.0 yesterday, I have been receiving the Gimbal Motor Overloaded error intermittently while flying. 2 flights now.

1. There is no packing foam still attached, I have been flying this for over a month now, about 40 flights under my belt so far.

2. The gimbal protector is not on.

3. I do not have any filters or added weight on the camera.

4. I checked the set screw that attaches the camera to the shaft and it is tight and square to the flat surface of the shaft as it should be.

5. I have done a cold IMU calibration 3 times and calibrated the gimbal 3 times on a perfectly plumb surface since upgrading to 1.2.0.

The gimbal seems to act as it always has which is pretty decent, other than the off tilt horizon which comes and goes depending on how you yaw the craft.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

I have firmware 1.1.9 and have seen the error pop up a lot when running android I'm don't think I've noticed it on iOS but I'll have to check that.

In your case since its new and that was your first flight, did you remove the small piece of packing foam at the top of the gimbal?

Sure did but it seems to come and go. Not every power up but occasionally in the 8 or 10 times I have booted the craft up. Recharging some batteries and we will see what tomorrow brings.

I actually repurposed the remove before flying sticker from that foam on the following accessory. if your in the market for a different gimbal lock this one fits like a glove and the seller below did alright by me.

upload_2015-7-25_17-29-14.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dji-Phantom...138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb0bcc2a

Just do the sensor calibration and it will go away then do any other calibration it may offer and not need. There are videos to back up what I just said as well. Im just saying. Its good to do all the available calibrations after any update to firmware. Balance your props too.

hi, good day
How do I calibrate the sensor? i dont know, do you help me please.
thank you

I won't even try to straighten everything here.. the thread is too far gone. Anyway:

1. Gimbal and CMOS sensor are separate things. Have nothing to do with each other, other that sensor is placed on gimbal. Electrically, their work is independent.

2. The mobile app receives gimbal status in a packet from the drone. If you make it no longer react on the information in that packet, it will still be sent by gimbal - the issue will still be there.

3. "motor overloaded" means "current draw is beyond specification". If a motor takes too much current, it might overheat the whole thing. That is the main concern if you see the "motor overloaded" message.

4. If motors are not hot after such message, and gimbal behaves normally - there is no reason to concern. It is possible that current sensor in ESC just gets inaccurate information.

5. The source of the issue is either in gimbal arm motors, or motor drivers. Two motor drivers have their own boards within gimbal arms, the third is integrated into Gimbal Top Board.

6. For a software fix. I'm not sure if the threshold for that error was modified between firmwares - if someone feels really bothered by the message, may be woth trying flashing different firmware versions to m0400 module (less risky than flashing the whole drone).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic