Gimbal Motor Overloaded intermittent error since 1.2.0

I'm having the same issue when I land in tall grass touching the camera. Goes away as soon as I move it to pavement and nothing is touching the camera. Probably to protect the gimbal motors
i received this error multiple times on Saturday morning while attempting to take off in tallish grass. i moved my P3A to my storage box and everything worked perfectly and i was able to take off finally.

I have full, normal control of the camera while the warning is on. Hopefully this "new firmware" will be what we all want.

I first synced my flight records using the little cloud button on the top right, I then deleted the iOS app and re-installed it and then synced my flight records. I then performed a Gimbal Calibration on a level surface. I then moved the plane around in my hand with no props on to simulate flight and i did not get the 'Gimbal motor overload' warning at all where previously I did just from moving it.

I will confirm if this fixes the issue after I fly this evening whether permitting, but this fix seems viable thus far.

I first synced my flight records using the little cloud button on the top right, I then deleted the iOS app and re-installed it and then synced my flight records. I then performed a Gimbal Calibration on a level surface. I then moved the plane around in my hand with no props on to simulate flight and i did not get the 'Gimbal motor overload' warning at all where previously I did just from moving it.

I will confirm if this fixes the issue after I fly this evening whether permitting, but this fix seems viable thus far.
Please let us know, I will also do the same but with the weather here in Cape Town it does not look like I will have a flight before the weekend!

I get this when fully going left (right stick all the way left) :(
This is in follow mode
Going all the way in any other direction gives no warning.

This is rather upsetting, you would think the gimbal could handle any of the craft's movements as long as there is no wind...
No performance difference, warning or not.

Last edited:
Joined the group just tonight to try an trouble shoot the same issue that all of you are having. Gimbal Motor Overloaded coming from 5 years of flying 3D helicopters I will say that finding answer to questions has not been easy. Hopefully this problem gets resolved soon as it is very annoying.

Just got back from 2.5 batteries of flying. I can confirm that this does NOT fix the issue. I still receive the error, even after deleting and re-installing the app and calibrating the gimbal. It may be less frequent, but then again, it wasn't as windy today as yesterday.

Seems like its just an annoying error. Hopefully, DJI fixes it soon and the tilted horizon issue. I'm also getting small hairline cracks around the 2 inner screw holes on each arm. It looks to me like this craft gets stress cracks very easily.

I still think this thing is awesome though.

Just got back from 2.5 batteries of flying. I can confirm that this does NOT fix the issue. I still receive the error, even after deleting and re-installing the app and calibrating the gimbal. It may be less frequent, but then again, it wasn't as windy today as yesterday.

Seems like its just an annoying error. Hopefully, DJI fixes it soon and the tilted horizon issue. I'm also getting small hairline cracks around the 2 inner screw holes on each arm. It looks to me like this craft gets stress cracks very easily.

I still think this thing is awesome though.

I'm sure you have already done this.....but have you calibrated the remote controller AND the "gimbal wheel" which is part of that process?

Most people fail to calibrate the "gimbal wheel" saying they didn't notice it was even listed with stick process.

I also tried all the different methods stated here as well and it has not resolved my issue. I did not try all of steps flyNfrank has said to try.

I have had the phantom 3 professional now for 2 weeks and never experienced any issues, no crashes and its just been a blast.

Today I drove out to a remote location fired it up and went to take off from the grass. That was when the DJI pilot App gave me my very first notice to update the phantom 3 before flying it again. I X'd the error out and proceeded to take off.

Within 2 minutes of the flight the warning had popped up "Gimbal Motor Overload" I landed immediately and drove home and began the update process.

I thought maybe the grass take off is what gave me the gimble error and did all tests after that from asphalt and same thing.

Nothing I have tried has solved this issue but I now have new software installed and the issue is still there.

Messages sent out to DJI hopefully they are quick to fix this issue.

I got this same error when flying yesterday. Turns out the grass was a little too high which kept the gimbal from settling. I simply moved my P3P to shorter grass. Flew great except I'm experiencing tons of lag with the iOS app on my iPhone 6+. I was flying in a big open field within LOS where I have flown before without issue. I'm at the latest firmware and app. I calibrated the IMU and gimbal prior to flying. I didn't have the iPad to try, which is usually what I fly with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect this warning is new to 1.2.0. Anyone ever see it before 1.2.0? Here's a video comparing 1.1.2 to 1.2.0 when the gimbal is pushed beyond it's max.

Reactions: Bratinov
I suspect this warning is new to 1.2.0.
I think so too, wonder if they could implement a optional tilt limit so the gimbal doesn't get overloaded in no wind conditions, no matter how you fly.

Last edited:
Discussed the issue today with DJI via live chat, they confirmed that the warning is due to the sensitivity settings of the latest firmware and that this will be fixed in the next firmware update! it has nothing to do with the app! They also confirmed that it is save to fly and that it does not damage the gimbal! So I will wait for the next firmware update and hope it resolves the issue.

Discussed the issue today with DJI via live chat, they confirmed that the warning is due to the sensitivity settings of the latest firmware and that this will be fixed in the next firmware update! it has nothing to do with the app! They also confirmed that it is save to fly and that it does not damage the gimbal! So I will wait for the next firmware update and hope it resolves the issue.
I can confirm that I was told the same thing yesterday. When I asked when the update will be coming, I was told "next week" and "don't worry sir". It's for sure a sensitivity issue. Interesting that with the camera facing down, I rarely get the error message.

I suspect this warning is new to 1.2.0. Anyone ever see it before 1.2.0? Here's a video comparing 1.1.2 to 1.2.0 when the gimbal is pushed beyond it's max.
No, I never saw it before the 1.2.0. Started happening to me the next flight after my Ipad automatically download the new revision. Changed that setting to never auto download! DJI is using all of us as BETA testers and I'm pretty sick of it!!!!!!!!!!

Impossible, see the video above .
Have seen the video before, however don't think it is the same issue for all, I have flown in windless days with the quad barely moving and would still get the warning for like 1 sec, guess we will have to wait and see if the firmware next week fixes the issue or not! Must admit that my initial feeling was that it was the app but dji does not think so! I am no expert so lets hope.......

No, I never saw it before the 1.2.0. Started happening to me the next flight after my Ipad automatically download the new revision. Changed that setting to never auto download! DJI is using all of us as BETA testers and I'm pretty sick of it!!!!!!!!!!
I, for one, am very happy with the new message. I did have an obstruction (the packing foam) and it was the new message that really made me research and figure out what was up. But maybe it is a bit too sensitive now.

Jeffreyi how do you stop the application from automatically updating? I think when I fired up my phantom 3s pilot app yesterday for the first time in a few days that it most definitely updated my firmware.

I use my iPhone as a hotspot so no matter where I am flying I always have internet so I get maps of new locations I film at.

This would definitely explain why I began experiencing the error yesterday!

hopefully DJI has a fix for this real soon. They should give their customers the option to roll back to previous software.

It doubt it is firmware related. I have not upgraded to any new firmware versions, I'm still running 1.1.9 and I didn't see this warning until the iOS app updated to 1.2.0. Unless... the issue has been there all along and the new app just finally recognized it? I suppose that's possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj