Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Thanks for sharing your amp settings IBV !!
Peer pressure.... The cables are on there way...lol :)
My excuse is I am pulling wiring for Soffit lighting on my Michigan room ( Enclosed porch ) Holes are drilled, i will sneak the LMR-400 in threw the Soffit and down the inside wall before I insulate and cover the walls.
It would be too cool to have a wall jack for my controller :)

I thought of using a wall jack but decided to avoid extra loss along the line. Instead I created a box with the DC injectors and the Lmr400 cable 3m into the room permanently connected. The injector box is mounted on the TV rack and from there I can connect with any type of cable to the RC. You could use the injectors as a kind of wall outlet. Try to avoid connections wherever possible. Especially on the Rx side. I posted pictures in the antenna jungle thread..can't link right now.

Reactions: hotashes
No need to link that thread out IBV, I follow it almost daily. have to keep up with the cool builds !!
Was just joking about a wall jack but do think your idea with the injectors would work.
I will probably mount the injectors in a small storage cabinet that's built into the wall. I can store the Controller and cables from the injector in there.
Open cabinet, power up injectors, pull out controller, sit by wood stove and fly my bird rt out my 16' sliding glass door. :) Plenty of glass for the VLOS police...lol
Future video plan.
Wait for a foot or two of snow. I will fly it out of my porch, down the river channel and back, open door and land back inside. All while drinking how chocolate in front of a blazing fire. :O

Reactions: JWH
Ok Jeremiah, I found this thread a week ago. Between work and honey do's, it took the week to read.. But sure glad I did! Thanks to all u guys! I'm going on 3 months owning a P4 and am definitely interested in the car set up. Now to go back and make a material list and make an order. When I complete the list, I may need to ask for a double check and may ask for advise here and there. I'm nowhere near the level you guys are but I'm mechanically inclined so I'll sure give it a shot.

Such a great read this thread was, minus the police..lol But hats off to J and the rest. Very good vids, time and effort are priceless! Sparked my interest for sure! And skimming the ground J, looked to be a blast! I'm so hooked...lol Thanks!

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome Johnny,
Sounds like we are at about the same experience level on this. Like you it took me a bit to keep up with this thread, especially when it was rocking. Has slowed a bit.
Anyway, these guys are great and will point you in the right direction.
There are a several parts links in this thread. Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?
jhax01 posted a nice list for me toward the end of that thread.
Cables are a bit confusing, the links will give you an idea of what connectors are needed where. Cable length will depend on your install.
I went with the L-Com 8.5 Omni's Antenna's and RF Link 2400LTX amps. They can still be had on E Bay for a decent price.
Good luck and keep us posted...

Turbo

Sorry to take this off track a bit. I realized i had gotten focused on the killer Antenna/Amp set up to FPV but had never really tried to fly it.
Here is my first attempt flying from inside my enclosed porch with just the controller thru the glass.
Jeremiah, this **** is hard !! And yes, i replaced my first set of props. Poop hits the fans @ about 3:08 :O

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
Question. I've been trying to research Jeremiah's car setup. I assume that he used the same amps that came with his FPVLR kit? I was looking at the kit just now and seen it was revised in April, 2016, (which is when this thread started so J had the older FPVLR kit with different amps) coming with lighter and smaller amps. But in the description on the FPVLR site, it doesn't give any info at all on the amps themselves so I don't know what they're pushing. My intensions was to get this kit, and already having amps, the only other items I needed for the car setup would be the L-com antenna's. But, I would really like to have the correct components to start with as I can't afford to experiment, but do have enough for at least the car setup for now. Need to get it right the first time. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Johnny

Last edited:
Sorry to take this off track a bit. I realized i had gotten focused on the killer Antenna/Amp set up to FPV but had never really tried to fly it.
Here is my first attempt flying from inside my enclosed porch with just the controller thru the glass.
Jeremiah, this **** is hard !! And yes, i replaced my first set of props. Poop hits the fans @ about 3:08 :O

Lolol.. Little harder than it looks huh. You had some thick stuff there. Thought you was gonna try to go straight through the woods..lol I see you didn't really go that far to test, have you went further yet for testing purposes?

Lolol.. Little harder than it looks huh. You had some thick stuff there. Thought you was gonna try to go straight through the woods..lol I see you didn't really go that far to test, have you went further yet for testing purposes?

The test was supposed to be flying thru my back yard and across the river all FPV. Not sure what i was thinking when i went in there...lol
Sorry for the crappy video, the only reason i even recorded was in-case something stupid or cool happened. :) I think i achieved both..
I need much practice..

Reactions: JohnnyB
The test was supposed to be flying thru my back yard and across the river all FPV. Not sure what i was thinking when i went in there...lol
Sorry for the crappy video, the only reason i even recorded was in-case something stupid or cool happened. :) I think i achieved both..
I need much practice..
I think any phantom video is a good one. When I seen the shrub getting close I thought... Oh sh**! Lol I was right there with ya..lol

Reactions: Turbomania
Amazing !! Jeremiah is the master!!

Last edited:
Pretty cool turbo! That's some pretty good penetration.h ad more nerve this time didn't you..lol Had to be your Lcon setup.

Edit: that was Jeremiah flying? Or are you talking about the setup?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Wanted opinion on this lmr400 "equivalent" cable. I am putting antennas on my roof and wanted to use this cable because of the price of course. RP-SMA Extension Cable: 50-FT Male to Female (15.24 meters) Also what is the output on a GL300c controller?

I would never buy a Cable anymore without displaying specs etc... Also the Picture displays a Cable like Lmr240 or similar. A serious seller Will Always display the specs. Spend a little more and be sure. I had to rewire my house antenna cause the first so called LMR400 had a dampening of ca 0.6db per meter! Ecoflex 15 is better for our purpose. Or real LMR400. With the Ecoflex I measured 0.18db per meter. What amps are you going to use?

I would never buy a Cable anymore without displaying specs etc... Also the Picture displays a Cable like Lmr240 or similar. A serious seller Will Always display the specs. Spend a little more and be sure. I had to rewire my house antenna cause the first so called LMR400 had a dampening of ca 0.6db per meter! Ecoflex 15 is better for our purpose. Or real LMR400. With the Ecoflex I measured 0.18db per meter. What amps are you going to use?
Hoping to just use my sunhan 3w amps. Yes definitely only want to run the cables one time. If I have to spend the money on the better cable it may have to wait a little longer. From what I have priced so far for cables it is at least $250 or so(need two 50' cables). Plus the l comm antennas at 50 a piece.

Last edited:
Pretty cool turbo! That's some pretty good penetration.h ad more nerve this time didn't you..lol Had to be your Lcon setup.

Edit: that was Jeremiah flying? Or are you talking about the setup?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wish that was me..lol, That Video was on his You Tube Channel, Jeremiah/Jeremy

Question. I've been trying to research Jeremiah's car setup. I assume that he used the same amps that came with his FPVLR kit? I was looking at the kit just now and seen it was revised in April, 2016, (which is when this thread started so J had the older FPVLR kit with different amps) coming with lighter and smaller amps. But in the description on the FPVLR site, it doesn't give any info at all on the amps themselves so I don't know what they're pushing. My intensions was to get this kit, and already having amps, the only other items I needed for the car setup would be the L-com antenna's. But, I would really like to have the correct components to start with as I can't afford to experiment, but do have enough for at least the car setup for now. Need to get it right the first time. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Johnny
I can try to help on this, Jeremiah hasn't been around in a bit. I am far from an expert but would think those amps would work good for both application as the cable length is kept short on a car setup. I'm not sure what FPVLR is using, seems like Jeremiah switched to the smaller MaxxUav amps, Sunhans,
With the L Com's and short cables, it won't take much amp. Those crazy Amps with DC injectors are more for home set up's with longer cable runs and are less portable. Even though a few of us are using them that way.
I got a deal on a set off from E Bay or I would have just ordered the Sunhans from MaxxUav.

Turbo

Reactions: 8154
Hoping to just use my sunhan 3w amps. Yes definitely only want to run the cables one time. If I have to spend the money on the better cable it may have to wait a little longer. From what I have priced so far for cables it is at least $250 or so(need two 50' cables). Plus the l comm antennas at 50 a piece.

You can try and see. I tried the 3W but it worked very bad. The Sunhans seem to need a little higher minimum signal to work than the Rf-linx.

I can try to help on this, Jeremiah hasn't been around in a bit. I am far from an expert but would think those amps would work good for both application as the cable length is kept short on a car setup. I'm not sure what FPVLR is using, seems like Jeremiah switched to the smaller MaxxUav amps, Sunhans,
With the L Com's and short cables, it won't take much amp. Those crazy Amps with DC injectors are more for home set up's with longer cable runs and are less portable. Even though a few of us are using them that way.
I got a deal on a set off from E Bay or I would have just ordered the Sunhans from MaxxUav.

Turbo
Thanks. I have the hardest time making up my mind on which amp's to use. I guess it would be worth a shot to try the sunhans, but I know me to well and I'll always wonder how much better the 2400 LTX's would've been. I've had my credit card out a few times already but haven't pulled the trigger. Depending on which amps I get also would make a difference on the antenna's. I'm also keeping portability in mind. I may go with Sunhans for now and if I feel it could be better, then I'll put in some hints for a couple Christmas presents. :)

Appreciate the reply. I'll put in a order and hopefully have a good report soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor