Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

You're on the right track with the cables. The controller is RP-SMA so it's "female" but has a male pin. I don't quite understand why it's done this way but I'm sure there's a purpose for it. I'm going to link all the cables/antennas I have in the truck. Everything on the amp/DC injector combo is N-female so every connection to them must be N-male. The magnetic bases from L-Com are made with LMR195, but because I had a longer run between the injectors and amps, I chose LMR 400 although it's probably overkill. It may or may not work for you because it is very stiff/thick (that's what she said).

Here's everything I have in the car so far:

Radio Mod Wiring

Antennas - I purchased these separate from the bases, this seller accepted $45 for a pair of them which saves a few dollars.

Magnetic Base - You can find SMA versions of these cheap on ebay, but I didn't see any N-Male ones. You want to avoid adapters wherever possible.

DC injector to Amp wiring

Radio to DC injector wiring

12V battery with 2.1mmx5.5mm connectors - I'm using this in the short term, but I have a DC - DC converter ready to put in after I get a few more needed bits.

Hope that helps!

There is N-male antennas and N-female magnet holders. If you screw the amp directly to a magnet then you can screw the antenna directly onto the amp!
Antenna 2.4GHz 8.5dBi OmniDirectional WiFi; Mounts pole, wall. N-f N-m | Waterproof.

Htey got also foldable N- male antenna..

There is N-male antennas and N-female magnet holders. If you screw the amp directly to a magnet then you can screw the antenna directly onto the amp!
Antenna 2.4GHz 8.5dBi OmniDirectional WiFi; Mounts pole, wall. N-f N-m | Waterproof.

Htey got also foldable N- male antenna..

Yeah, that would be ideal. I've calculated that I'm losing 2.5db from the antenna to the amp which matters with the phantom's weak output, but I can live with it. LMR195 ultraflex is the only thing that I can snake out through the rear pressure vents of the Suburban without having to cut metal and so far, I haven't been disappointed by the range I'm getting. As you can see in the photos I posted, it's pretty much 50 ft pine / birch trees everywhere I go so the amps were a must for this hobby to be any fun!

Reactions: IBV
WP_20161024_20_20_17_Pro.jpg
WP_20161024_20_20_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20161024_20_20_54_Pro.jpg
WP_20161024_20_21_21_Pro.jpg
WP_20161024_20_20_17_Pro.jpg WP_20161024_20_20_34_Pro.jpg WP_20161024_20_20_54_Pro.jpg WP_20161024_20_21_21_Pro.jpg Here the car set-up without mast.
I got also LED beamers mounted on the same type of rails as the omni antennas.
Further there is now the pan/tilt head mounted as well. ( controlled via joystick) to follow the Bird for real long range or none LOS.
The Rf-linx amps di a real good job as the antennas do.
The difficult issue was to get the cables through the roof without water leaking in.. I use a waterthight box on top where I connect 12V, Rs485 fort the Pan/tilt unit as well as antenna cables. Finally it Works. Next step is to get this 9m telescopic mast installed..to get these irksome trees out of the way..

Reactions: JohnnyB and jhax01
Wow IBV, Nice set up, Nice work !!!

My 2400 LTX's came in finally. Boat season is over here in Michigan. No amped Pontoon set up until next spring. Damit, I may have to throw a couple Omni's on the roof. You guys are a bad influence...lol

Wow IBV, Nice set up, Nice work !!!

My 2400 LTX's came in finally. Boat season is over here in Michigan. No amped Pontoon set up until next spring. Damit, I may have to throw a couple Omni's on the roof. You guys are a bad influence...lol

You're welcome!

I posted a question in Jeremiah's thread.. Sorry to ask here also but seems that thread is dead now.
Regarding a car setup, I have one shots worth of money to get this right. I looked on fpvlr website and the booster kit for P4 say the amps are smaller and lighter but give no info as to what they're pushing. If I knew they were sufficient, only other items I would need would be the Lcon antennas? Please help. Ready to order, but don't have money to experiment. Thanks

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: hotashes
I posted a question in Jeremiah's thread.. Sorry to ask here also but seems that thread is dead now.
Regarding a car setup, I have one shots worth of money to get this right. I looked on fpvlr website and the booster kit for P4 say the amps are smaller and lighter but give no info as to what they're pushing. If I knew they were sufficient, only other items I would need would be the Lcon antennas? Please help. Ready to order, but don't have money to experiment. Thanks

have you got a link to this booster kit?

Long Range Boosted Kit for Phantom 4 - FPVLR

Your setup is insane IBV!

Want to add, I don't have FB, just in case u find the info on their FB page.. I know that the antennas would plug right in to the SMA on the amp. I'm totally out of the box stock right now so I need either the clean install kit, amps and antennas, or this kit and the antennas. But, I do however want to do this right and have a good setup. Sorry to have to ask. I have read both this thread and Jeremiahs.. but there's so many versions of setups and so many choices, I just want a great car setup like what Jeremiah was getting. I tried to research.. been on this for a week reading. I appreciate any help I can get for a good setup. Thanks

Last edited:
Interesting. I got the a 1W LGE version with 20db receive gain, 2 indoor 4W LTE and 2 pieces LTX 4W. Curious to hear how your SAX version Works. When using Sunhans (any of them) the video is always gone when going behind a specific place with rocks and trees. Without Sunhans I don't even get there and with the RF-linx I can get around these rocks without loosing signal. The measurement confirmed the hi receive gain and the 20dbi directional antennas also help to keep out noise from other directions. Would be great to hear you results!
So if i understand it right, 2 pieces of 2400LTX with a dbs002 would be a very good portable solution?
Not exactly plug and play until the Tx is first modified, but once it is modded, they all can be interchangeably connected, plug and play! :cool:

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So if i understand it right, 2 pieces of 2400LTX with a dbs002 would be a very good portable solution?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using PhantomPilots mobile app
yes! That Will be perfect. Dont forget Cables (Lmr 240 or highflexx, etc..) and a proper roof mount. The best is if the antennas are screwed directly onto the rf-linx amplifier. (antennas with N-male connector). In this Case you need the amps to be screwed to either a magnet tray or other roof holder construction.

yes! That Will be perfect. Dont forget Cables (Lmr 240 or highflexx, etc..) and a proper roof mount. The best is if the antennas are screwed directly onto the rf-linx amplifier. (antennas with N-male connector). In this Case you need the amps to be screwed to either a magnet tray or other roof holder construction.
Is this a car roof mount, or house roof.

You're on the right track with the cables. The controller is RP-SMA so it's "female" but has a male pin. I don't quite understand why it's done this way but I'm sure there's a purpose for it. I'm going to link all the cables/antennas I have in the truck. Everything on the amp/DC injector combo is N-female so every connection to them must be N-male. The magnetic bases from L-Com are made with LMR195, but because I had a longer run between the injectors and amps, I chose LMR 400 although it's probably overkill. It may or may not work for you because it is very stiff/thick (that's what she said).

Here's everything I have in the car so far:

Radio Mod Wiring

Antennas - I purchased these separate from the bases, this seller accepted $45 for a pair of them which saves a few dollars.

Magnetic Base - You can find SMA versions of these cheap on ebay, but I didn't see any N-Male ones. You want to avoid adapters wherever possible.

DC injector to Amp wiring

Radio to DC injector wiring

12V battery with 2.1mmx5.5mm connectors - I'm using this in the short term, but I have a DC - DC converter ready to put in after I get a few more needed bits.

Hope that helps!
I'm going with this, tho I may go straight to amp with antenna. Thanks guys

Last edited:
I'm going with this, tho I may go straight to amp with antenna. Thanks guys

As mentioned, best is to screw this amps on a magnet-mount of some kind( e.g. For hanging tills in garages) and screw N-make antenna directly on amps. The Rx signal is so low that every db is wirth fighting for when going to edge If Range.

Reactions: JohnnyB and jhax01
If somebody wondered why I put 20dbi directional antennas on the car roof: Omnidirectional antenna on the Rx side also receive other "strayed" Wifi signals. The directional antennas keep the signal a lot more clean. This isn't needed in the desert but in Wifi conjested areas it defenitly helps. When flying with the car setup I switch all Wifi off. I don't want the dji RC to listen to my mobile phone..

I flew a quick test flight yesterday to test out my Boat/Car/Home Set up.
I am using a pair of L Com 8.5 dbi Omni's mounted directly to a pair of 2400 LTX RF Linx Amps. 10 ft of LMR-400 from Amp to DC injector, 10 ft of LMR-195 Ultra Flex to my controller from the injector.
For testing I set the Amp/Antenna's on my deck just outside of my enclosed porch, ran the wires thru the door and flew FPV from inside.
First flight went great, I was very conservative as it was the first flight with this set up and the Antenna's were only 2 ft off from the ground.
Was amazed that I was able to penetrate thru the tree's @ 2000 ft out with 0 signal loss with the Antenna's virtually on the ground.
Have some question about the amps for you IBV. I'll make a separate post.
Thanks Everyone !!
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=xtKzSD

20161109_112234_zpshfibnkro.jpg

Last edited:
Question about my RF-Linx Amps.
One amp adjust as expected with a lap top. Watts and Gain. The other only allows gain adjustment. Nothing for wattage ?? No matter if it's on the RX or TX side.
I did just notice I have the 1451 injector on the 1452 Amp. Seems like I changed cables and antenna's around.

What ya think IBV ?

Question about my RF-Linx Amps.
One amp adjust as expected with a lap top. Watts and Gain. The other only allows gain adjustment. Nothing for wattage ?? No matter if it's on the RX or TX side.
I did just notice I have the 1451 injector on the 1452 Amp. Seems like I changed cables and antenna's around.

What ya think IBV ?

Evert time when connecting USB you need to Scan load. Test the RFI button to see your signal.
on the Rx side there is only gain. Hope I understood your question..

Evert time when connecting USB you need to Scan load. Test the RFI button to see your signal.
on the Rx side there is only gain. Hope I understood your question..
The Scan Load will bring up the Amp and controller Serial #'s , Read RFI doesn't always give me a reading. rarely gives one.
Amp #1452 never has a slider bar for TX power, only Gain. If I swap cables coming out of my 300A controller, isn't one side RX and the other TX ??
The TX light is solid on one amp and blinking on the other, this changes amps when controller cables are swapped.
Sorry if I don't make sense..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4