Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

What is best for mobile use?

Think to get 2 sunhans or 2 rf-linx. Just have to decide on antenna's.

WiFi Signal Range Extender Holder with Car Sucker for(ASIN: B01IUODDVU) for DJI Phantom 3 Advanced & Professional & DJI Phantom 4 & Inspire 1 - Feeder Length 1.5M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXVPJM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x8--xbRT7PCJ3URL

I think sunhans will work because i can use that on my dbs02 antenna too.

Just to many options...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

They are actually 12V. I'm using a small LiPo battery pack designed with two 2.1mm X 5mm jacks so they are fine for mobile use(max draw is 2A), just a little bulkier than the Sunhans amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you do any further testing?

Did you do any further testing?

Not really, I've been using the 2400SAX amps but only in areas with high wifi interference/cell towers so there's really no discernible difference between the SAX and LTX amps. It comes down to the Rx side of things and they are rated the same. Penetration from both is nothing short of amazing, I can duck down behind trees/obstacles 800 yds out even with all the interference. I just ordered a couple 20ft LMR400 lines and a DC-DC converter to get the LTX amps permanently installed in my Suburban.

Hopefully after I get all that done I will get a chance to get away from the city a bit and test some more.

Not really, I've been using the 2400SAX amps but only in areas with high wifi interference/cell towers so there's really no discernible difference between the SAX and LTX amps. It comes down to the Rx side of things and they are rated the same. Penetration from both is nothing short of amazing, I can duck down behind trees/obstacles 800 yds out even with all the interference. I just ordered a couple 20ft LMR400 lines and a DC-DC converter to get the LTX amps permanently installed in my Suburban.

Hopefully after I get all that done I will get a chance to get away from the city a bit and test some more.

Which antenna's will you be using in your suv? Which dc-dc convertor?

Which antenna's will you be using in your suv? Which dc-dc convertor?

I have the 8.5dbi l-com omni antennas and for the power supply, I'm using the M3-ATX. I had something similar in a different vehicle to power a car PC and it's biggest plus is that it will operate on anything from 6-24V. I'm going to solder up some barrel connectors to a PC molex drive connector to get the power and I'm also probably going to add some USB ports for charging devices since I will already have the power supply installed.

I assume you can drive around with the l-com antenna's? The l-com antenna the end is sma male?

Yes, there's no harm in driving around with them, though I've considered getting the much shorter 4dbi antennas to leave on and swap out the larger ones when needed. The antennas themselves are N-male and all of the RF-Linx amps are N-female so I chose a magnetic base that has the matching connector. The antennas you can find inexpensively on ebay, but I ended up buying the base directly from l-com.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172344471459

Is this one good? Save me drilling the outdoor version.

That's a DC injector, not an amplifier. You could probably use it to inject the 12V for the SAX amps, but I would check with RF-Linx's support first. As for drilling, I wouldn't bother with that, just solder to the connector inside the amp itself. If I were to do it over again that's what I would do. Simpler and cleaner.

Yes, there's no harm in driving around with them, though I've considered getting the much shorter 4dbi antennas to leave on and swap out the larger ones when needed. The antennas themselves are N-male and all of the RF-Linx amps are N-female so I chose a magnetic base that has the matching connector. The antennas you can find inexpensively on ebay, but I ended up buying the base directly from l-com.

That's a DC injector, not an amplifier. You could probably use it to inject the 12V for the SAX amps, but I would check with RF-Linx's support first. As for drilling, I wouldn't bother with that, just solder to the connector inside the amp itself. If I were to do it over again that's what I would do. Simpler and cleaner.

I see

I need this https://www.ebay.com/itm/121990747480

This antenna is the one you are talking about
2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omni Antenna w/ Magnetic Mount - 10ft N-Male Connector - HG2409MGU-NM

I see

I need this https://www.ebay.com/itm/121990747480

Those are the ones I have in addition to the 2400LTX, so yes, they will work, but you will need to figure out the power portion - ie, either drill out the side, solder on the connections internally, or use/build a DC injector.

Yep.

Update: Here a picture of the house antennas with the two RF-linx LTX2400
House antennas.jpg

Reactions: calvin_jan

Yep, those are the ones I'm using in my car and @IBV uses them from his house. I ran all the antenna wiring underneath panels in my vehicle but mounted the amp and DC injector on easily replaced removable panels. Amps in the back near the antenna and the DC injector/radio input up front in my center console. In terms of amps, it doesn't get any better from what I've seen so you're limited by your antenna choices more than anything else ( and the Phantom's battery).

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 470
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 453
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 496
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 460
  • File_004.jpeg
    File_004.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 445
Yep, those are the ones I'm using in my car and @IBV uses them from his house. I ran all the antenna wiring underneath panels in my vehicle but mounted the amp and DC injector on easily replaced removable panels. Amps in the back near the antenna and the DC injector/radio input up front in my center console. In terms of amps, it doesn't get any better from what I've seen so you're limited by your antenna choices more than anything else ( and the Phantom's battery).

Killer set up !!! Thanks for posting pics...
I have been following this since Jeremiah's car adventure thread...lol Thanks Jeremiah and many other for keeping this going. Good stuff !!
I had planed to wait until next year to copy the car set up for my boat. But I couldn't say no to $140 for 2 of those amps. I see they relisted 2 more for more $$$

Help me with the cabling. The connectors confuse me :O
A modded Controller has a SMA connector ? Female ?
We know the Amp is N Female.
Is this correct ?
Buy-2 8.5 / 9 Dbi Omnis, N Female, 2 short N Male cables from antenna to amp, 2 more N Male cables to Injectors, 2 N male to SMA cables to go from Injector to Controller.
Any preference on the Omni's, Tree penetration is my #1 issue ?
Type/Quality of N Male cables and is there a flexibility issue with the cables to the RX ?

Thanks Turbo

Killer set up !!! Thanks for posting pics...
I have been following this since Jeremiah's car adventure thread...lol Thanks Jeremiah and many other for keeping this going. Good stuff !!
I had planed to wait until next year to copy the car set up for my boat. But I couldn't say no to $140 for 2 of those amps. I see they relisted 2 more for more $$$

Help me with the cabling. The connectors confuse me :O
A modded Controller has a SMA connector ? Female ?
We know the Amp is N Female.
Is this correct ?
Buy-2 8.5 / 9 Dbi Omnis, N Female, 2 short N Male cables from antenna to amp, 2 more N Male cables to Injectors, 2 N male to SMA cables to go from Injector to Controller.
Any preference on the Omni's, Tree penetration is my #1 issue ?
Type/Quality of N Male cables and is there a flexibility issue with the cables to the RX ?

Thanks Turbo

You're on the right track with the cables. The controller is RP-SMA so it's "female" but has a male pin. I don't quite understand why it's done this way but I'm sure there's a purpose for it. I'm going to link all the cables/antennas I have in the truck. Everything on the amp/DC injector combo is N-female so every connection to them must be N-male. The magnetic bases from L-Com are made with LMR195, but because I had a longer run between the injectors and amps, I chose LMR 400 although it's probably overkill. It may or may not work for you because it is very stiff/thick (that's what she said).

Here's everything I have in the car so far:

Radio Mod Wiring

Antennas - I purchased these separate from the bases, this seller accepted $45 for a pair of them which saves a few dollars.

Magnetic Base - You can find SMA versions of these cheap on ebay, but I didn't see any N-Male ones. You want to avoid adapters wherever possible.

DC injector to Amp wiring

Radio to DC injector wiring

12V battery with 2.1mmx5.5mm connectors - I'm using this in the short term, but I have a DC - DC converter ready to put in after I get a few more needed bits.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Turbomania
Thanks jhax01 !!!

Reactions: jhax01
WP_20161015_09_18_07_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_09_18_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_09_22_24_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_09_22_17_Pro.jpg

Thanks jhax01 !!!
That's how it should be. Keep the distance between the amps and the antennas as short as possible.Best is to use the LTX amps on the roof and a pigtail to the antennas. The reason is that the Rx signal is so weak) I use a mounting rails for tools made of aluminum to mount amps and antennas. This mounting rails got clamps to easily remove it when needed.I use longer omni antennas so I made them foldable. However, there is simple foldable 8dbi omni antennas with magnet mount available.
The injectors I screwed together with the power supply in a box where I also got USB to measure Tx. (The LTX got a software where you can measure the actual power at the amps!)
On the pictures you see the TV with the box. Same setup for the car but smaller TV... The mounting rails I use for car, house and Tripod so I can exchange and test antennas easily. On the Tripod and mast I use the pan/ tilt unit because when sitting in the car and using directional antennas I can move along with the joystick.( see earlier pictures)
Most simple and working well is the omni set up described r our friend above!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor