Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Oh My :) I'm addicted...lol
I spent the whole day tuning this thing. Everything you guys said is right on !! Like IBV said it was lighting up all the lower channels and giving a poor quality video signal error on the Go App. I turned down the gain while monitoring the noise on the Go App. It was gone at 10 dbi, it just started getting active around 12, that's were i ran it. It took several hours to get the video like i wanted it.
Also changed the antenna spacing, a bit over 3 ft apart seems to work well.
I ran 6 batteries thru it... lots of cool video.. No crash's :) Encountered a car while flying down the road @ 3ft :O I pulled over :) They had that WTH look... Private rd. easy drone police...
Will post up a few shots later.

Good Stuff!
Oh My :) I'm addicted...lol
I spent the whole day tuning this thing. Everything you guys said is right on !! Like IBV said it was lighting up all the lower channels and giving a poor quality video signal error on the Go App. I turned down the gain while monitoring the noise on the Go App. It was gone at 10 dbi, it just started getting active around 12, that's were i ran it. It took several hours to get the video like i wanted it.
Also changed the antenna spacing, a bit over 3 ft apart seems to work well.
I ran 6 batteries thru it... lots of cool video.. No crash's :) Encountered a car while flying down the road @ 3ft :O I pulled over :) They had that WTH look... Private rd. easy drone police...
Will post up a few shots later.
Great to hear your having good luck with the settings Turbo! Man, your excitement bled right thru the screen! Got me all hyped up to get mine going. Can't wait on the vids. :)

Turbo, did you do any low distance test or long run penetration test with the 12 setting?

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did both, I practiced a lot of flying around the house. 2/3 ft off the ground. 4 batteries of practice. Once it clicks ( FPV ) it's a blast. Once I got comfortable it messed me up to look at the bird.
Even though I flew on my property at low altitude I did have a friend spot.
Distance/Penetration isn't limitless but darn good considering the tree's.
I flew about 1000 ft down the river, went into an off channel surrounded by a forest. I was able to fly in a few hundred ft before losing video and disconnecting. At first I expected more, until I watched the video. It flies up and over doing its RTH. There was a lot of lumber between those Omnis's and the bird.

I did both, I practiced a lot of flying around the house. 2/3 ft off the ground. 4 batteries of practice. Once it clicks ( FPV ) it's a blast. Once I got comfortable it messed me up to look at the bird.
Even though I flew on my property at low altitude I did have a friend spot.
Distance/Penetration isn't limitless but darn good considering the tree's.
I flew about 1000 ft down the river, went into an off channel surrounded by a forest. I was able to fly in a few hundred ft before losing video and disconnecting. At first I expected more, until I watched the video. It flies up and over doing its RTH. There was a lot of lumber between those Omnis's and the bird.
That's good. That's the only thing that's gonna worry me is getting back in the woods and losing signal then when it ascends, i worry about it going right up into tree branches. You were lucky... This time. :) But glad all your test went good. Thanks for the reply!

That's good. That's the only thing that's gonna worry me is getting back in the woods and losing signal then when it ascends, i worry about it going right up into tree branches. You were lucky... This time. :) But glad all your test went good. Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to ask Jeremy that question, wondered what he set his to do.
For this test i knew i was good overhead and knew it was going to disconnect, set it as usual.
I did the "woods flight" again and set it to just hover if it disconnected. Made it further, didn't disconnect or hit anything :) That's video is bad a$$.
Where are all the Video's ?? Alot of nice set ups by now. show us how it's going FPV style :)

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyB
Nice! Your such a Turb :) Wish you could do the same run with a stock setup to compare. I think before I get all my stuff hooked up, I'm gonna try to video a before and after in the same location. It'll take me a bit, but I'll post when it's all said and done.
It amazed me how much distance Jeremiah got before he even went in the woods. What the heck! Plus he has some very flat open places to fly. Im in KY so hilly runs here. Few fields here and there.

Last edited:
The denser the tree's get, the harder or almost impossible it gets to punch 2.4 Ghz thru.
I have tried that lots of times with several different stock Controllers.
I could fly down there great, standing on my dock. As soon as it peaked in there it disconnected.
If i attempted that from my deck on the house, i couldn't even make it down there. Too many dense tree's.

I took it mobile this morning, Flew from the County park on the north side of my lake. With the Park Rangers blessing.
The woods are more maintained, hiking trails and such. I flew over top of it and dropped down 1 miles on the other side of it. Signal went right thru it. was amazed.

Some engineering there boys...lol

I took it long also. 3.8 miles before i chickened out.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
The denser the tree's get, the harder or almost impossible it gets to punch 2.4 Ghz thru.
I have tried that lots of times with several different stock Controllers.
I could fly down there great, standing on my dock. As soon as it peaked in there it disconnected.
If i attempted that from my deck on the house, i couldn't even make it down there. Too many dense tree's.

I took it mobile this morning, Flew from the County park on the north side of my lake. With the Park Rangers blessing.
The woods are more maintained, hiking trails and such. I flew over top of it and dropped down 1 miles on the other side of it. Signal went right thru it. was amazed.

Some engineering there boys...lol

I took it long also. 3.8 miles before i chickened out.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
You would think we were from the same neck of the woods..lol Redneck ingenuity. Got a message from Amazon, cables came in today. :) Now antennas, boosters, and a couple 2X4's and I'll be hooked up.. lol

Those are low loss 2X4's :O
I think the LMR400 may be overkill at that short of lenth. But its what i have.
I may downsize the cable for the car.
Glad i had a sunroof..lol
I had way more fun racing around my yard, cruising down our priviate drive all FPV than i did flying distance today.. I get nervous...lol, that was almost 4 miles.. I had to take a xanax..lol..j/k
Didn't think nothing about flying 40 mph around my yard :O. I'm wired wrong..

Turbo

Last edited:
Woods like these are a piece of cake as far a penetration John. The big thick ones ruin the party... not sure how thick it is there.

Here in the US you can't use your phone while driving so how you gonna fly a drone with a remote while driving,I hope that's not what you people are talking about!!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Woods like these are a piece of cake as far a penetration John. The big thick ones ruin the party... not sure how thick it is there.

Low loss 2X4's.... Bahaha

It's cool you're posting your vids. I have nobody but u guys to share the excitement with and it gives me more confidence in what I ordered.

I was torn between the less sophisticated sunhans because I re-read the first few pages of this and that's all Jeremiah was using, the ones on his FPVLR set up, and was getting outstanding results. Proof is in the vids. Just antennas and the cable that come with them, and those amps. The RF-Linx 2400's should be superior to those... If the settings are right. Which is best for a car set-up, or a mobile version, I would love to know. I'm like you, I wish people would post their vids that have these setup's! It would only help us all get dialed in. (Not saying yours don't help.. I waited for you to post vids today [emoji41]) Appreciate the vids! Here in a week or two, I'll be doing the same.

Here in the US you can't use your phone while driving so how you gonna fly a drone with a remote while driving,I hope that's not what you people are talking about!!

Lol... Read the thread for what were talking about. Some great info, people, and vids here.

Low loss 2X4's.... Bahaha

It's cool you're posting your vids. I have nobody but u guys to share the excitement with and it gives me more confidence in what I ordered.

I was torn between the less sophisticated sunhans because I re-read the first few pages of this and that's all Jeremiah was using, the ones on his FPVLR set up, and was getting outstanding results. Proof is in the vids. Just antennas and the cable that come with them, and those amps. The RF-Linx 2400's should be superior to those... If the settings are right. Which is best for a car set-up, or a mobile version, I would love to know. I'm like you, I wish people would post their vids that have these setup's! It would only help us all get dialed in. (Not saying yours don't help.. I waited for you to post vids today [emoji41]) Appreciate the vids! Here in a week or two, I'll be doing the same.

The magnetic mounts and Sunhans would be easier to deal with for sure. I may try a set when this makes it on my Pontoon boat.
Am pretty sure the Sunhan's won't penetrate any better if as good. If you look closer at his river/woods video. There is just a narrow strip of woods along that river.
It's never that deep into the tree's from where the car is parked. If you can see light thru the woods ( Like my P4 VS Woods Vid. ) it will punch thru. That is were I flew up and over and dropped down behind those woods. Never came off from 100 % signal.
The problem I had when I went into that off channel was those tree's are 100' + with 20" trunks. I see no way to get a wifi signal thru almost solid tree's.
Don't take this wrong, Jeremiah is the man for sure !!! many thanks to him for sharing his set up.
Just pointing out what I am noticing when it comes to tree's.

Yes, agreed. I was super late getting started on the read, but helped to be late because the further I got, more progress was made. That's why I went with what you and IBV did. I seen how thick the trees were in your vid. Plus it looked like the ground itself was 5'+ off the water so you wasn't much at all above the ground. Impressive for sure.
Question, just to help me think until i get mine, but when you hook the USB to the computer, does it hook to the amp or the injector? My setup may depend on that. If it hooks to the amp, I may "try" having the amp in the car also as I could hook my laptop to it and adjust without having to get out every time. I'll definitely try both ways. Gonna order a couple pigtails just for that purpose. Won't hurt to try. I'm hoping there won't be much loss at all with such a short run.

The magnetic mounts and Sunhans would be easier to deal with for sure. I may try a set when this makes it on my Pontoon boat.
Am pretty sure the Sunhan's won't penetrate any better if as good. If you look closer at his river/woods video. There is just a narrow strip of woods along that river.
It's never that deep into the tree's from where the car is parked. If you can see light thru the woods ( Like my P4 VS Woods Vid. ) it will punch thru. That is were I flew up and over and dropped down behind those woods. Never came off from 100 % signal.
The problem I had when I went into that off channel was those tree's are 100' + with 20" trunks. I see no way to get a wifi signal thru almost solid tree's.
Don't take this wrong, Jeremiah is the man for sure !!! many thanks to him for sharing his set up.
Just pointing out what I am noticing when it comes to tree's.

For a more "mobile" amp, I use these - http://m.ebay.com/itm/121990747480

Only 1W on the output, but still 20db on the receiving end which is the real issue. Takes a little work to adapt them though, you have to cut a trace to put them in indoor mode so you can just use a battery instead of the injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usb connects to the injector.
Hope I didn't come across l
For a more "mobile" amp, I use these - http://m.ebay.com/itm/121990747480

Only 1W on the output, but still 20db on the receiving end which is the real issue. Takes a little work to adapt them though, you have to cut a trace to put them in indoor mode so you can just use a battery instead of the injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing jhax01 !!
Is that the one you started out @ 5V then switched it over to 12V ?
20 db is what the LTX's max out at on the receive. I had to play with the antenna spacing to get anywhere near 20db without lighting up all the lower WiFi channels.
The injectors are a bit of an unnecessary component on this kind of set up. i had thought about finding out if i can power mine internal without an injector.
Just one on the receive side. I think Jeremiah is running 1 amp.
Looks like we need to amp the bird end now...lol It doesn't send much signal out.

No sir. Parked.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews