Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Thanks. I have the hardest time making up my mind on which amp's to use. I guess it would be worth a shot to try the sunhans, but I know me to well and I'll always wonder how much better the 2400 LTX's would've been. I've had my credit card out a few times already but haven't pulled the trigger. Depending on which amps I get also would make a difference on the antenna's. I'm also keeping portability in mind. I may go with Sunhans for now and if I feel it could be better, then I'll put in some hints for a couple Christmas presents. :)

Appreciate the reply. I'll put in a order and hopefully have a good report soon.

Sunhans is for portability ( standing with RC ) . Rf-linx or L-com amps is for more range when none LOS and for more safety as well as for longer cable setups. As simple as that. So are you going to stand around mostly or sit in your car? Or is it home roof top ?

Reactions: JohnnyB
Sunhans is for portability ( standing with RC ) . Rf-linx or L-com amps is for more range when none LOS and for more safety as well as for longer cable setups. As simple as that. So are you going to stand around mostly or sit in your car? Or is it home roof top ?
Thanks for that. Wanting a car set up, and a good one, I'll be setting in the car .I'm setting it up in an old Crown Vic Police car that many of us pipefitters use as work cars around here so running cables thru the car, drilling holes, whatever, won't make a bit of difference. Nice to have that freedom. But your quote, "simple as that," made up my mind. Rf-linx or L-com it is. Glad I hadn't ordered yet.

I know that antenna direct to amp is best. That being said, if I mount antennas just above the rear window, and the amps just inside of trunk where the wiring first enters, would there be enough loss to worry about? That would put amps about 3 to 4 feet from antenna. Curious if it's that much of a difference to need to build something for a mount. If it's a super small loss, a magnet based antenna would be all I need for the top of car. But tell me what you think. I'll build if I have to.

Just an hour ago, I went to this knob just on the outside of town, and got my first nerve to go out 14,047' (2.66 miles) on my all stock P4. First time past a half mile. Man that was exciting!!! I get it now! Only a couple little drop outs on vid but picked back up to full HD and went on. Even when I turned around I had almost full HD. Just fell 1 bar. This was with the latest of all updates. No issues. Just had to share that. Great stuff!!

I've read all this thread, and antenna jungle, (which took a week), but I guess I just needed someone to tell me, or confirm the best set up for my car. Thanks guys. Now to find a deal. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8154
You can try and see. I tried the 3W but it worked very bad. The Sunhans seem to need a little higher minimum signal to work than the Rf-linx.
ya I am trying to just get Jeremiah's list and how he set his up because by looking at his videos we share the same basic house set up. Think that would be the best and most cost effective way to go about doing this project. If I can track him down and he is willing to share with me.

Thanks for that. Wanting a car set up, and a good one, I'll be setting in the car .I'm setting it up in an old Crown Vic Police car that many of us pipefitters use as work cars around here so running cables thru the car, drilling holes, whatever, won't make a bit of difference. Nice to have that freedom. But your quote, "simple as that," made up my mind. Rf-linx or L-com it is. Glad I hadn't ordered yet.

I know that antenna direct to amp is best. That being said, if I mount antennas just above the rear window, and the amps just inside of trunk where the wiring first enters, would there be enough loss to worry about? That would put amps about 3 to 4 feet from antenna. Curious if it's that much of a difference to need to build something for a mount. If it's a super small loss, a magnet based antenna would be all I need for the top of car. But tell me what you think. I'll build if I have to.

Just an hour ago, I went to this knob just on the outside of town, and got my first nerve to go out 14,047' (2.66 miles) on my all stock P4. First time past a half mile. Man that was exciting!!! I get it now! Only a couple little drop outs on vid but picked back up to full HD and went on. Even when I turned around I had almost full HD. Just fell 1 bar. This was with the latest of all updates. No issues. Just had to share that. Great stuff!!

I've read all this thread, and antenna jungle, (which took a week), but I guess I just needed someone to tell me, or confirm the best set up for my car. Thanks guys. Now to find a deal. :)

4 feet should be ok with the better amps. You can try it out and if you want to optimize later then you can mount the amps on the roof ( I will post some pictures of my magnet amp mount later today). In this case you should get an antenna with N-male contact already.

ya I am trying to just get Jeremiah's list and how he set his up because by looking at his videos we share the same basic house set up. Think that would be the best and most cost effective way to go about doing this project. If I can track him down and he is willing to share with me.

I was going to say try his You Tube channel, he posted some amp info there.
It looks like you found it..
Keep us posted on your progress.

Am glad IBV dropped in to help you make up your mind.
I need to thank him again for all his help. Sorry for some pretty stupid questions.
Congrats on getting that bird out there a bit... It does get your blood pumping..lol
Keep us updated on your set up. You won't be disappointed with the 2400's and L Com's!

Here is a quick penetration test i did yesterday. Hope to get them up on the roof soon. Working on a temporary mount as i want to use this on my Boat and Car.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBV and JohnnyB
Here is a quick penetration test i did yesterday
Pretty cool Turbo! Right through your house. I'd say that was a cake walk for your set up. Dang, I can't wait.. lol
Trying to find a deal on amps proves to be a challenge.

Ordered. :) Delivery expected by next weekend. I know this price is more but still.. I seen the new price and wow, these are expensive. I'm going with same set up, antenna direct to amp. I know I am getting a late start on this. This thread started before I even got my P4. Better late than never. Thanks for the help BTW. Appreciated
I'll definitely need help with the amp settings when the time comes. Hope you guys are still around.

Edit: L-com N-Male antennas ordered, also expected Fri

Last edited:
I was going to say try his You Tube channel, he posted some amp info there.
It looks like you found it..
Keep us posted on your progress.
ya I have been watching this thread from the very beginning. When he started his setup for his house I had one for my p2 using the redbird box. I could sit in my house and fly without being physically connected to the antennas outside. Now I have a p4 and want his exact breakdown cause it's been tested and proven. Just like you guys don't want to waist money trying to get it to work. Plus I have to get someone to put the antennas up because I am a paraplegic so obviously can't do it myself. Also don't want to get someone more than once for that as well.

Well, I have almost got all the cables in cart and ready to order. The radio mod wiring, I got this link from jhax01. Would this mod fit my P4? I ask because of the description. Thanks in advance.

Well, I have almost got all the cables in cart and ready to order. The radio mod wiring, I got this link from jhax01. Would this mod fit my P4? I ask because of the description. Thanks in advance.
yes these will work. The third cable is not used on the p4 mod. But the other two are what you need. The longer threads on the ends are so you can put them through the existing antenna holes once you remove the stock antennas.

yes these will work. The third cable is not used on the p4 mod. But the other two are what you need. The longer threads on the ends are so you can put them through the existing antenna holes once you remove the stock antennas.
Thanks Bear. Progress on order: "Everything I need" is now ordered! Oh the anticipation... [emoji6]

Edit, again: what about power inverter? Which one are you guys using that would power both injectors? Guess I should've said, "almost everything I need."

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks Bear. Progress on order: "Everything I need" is now ordered! Oh the anticipation... [emoji6]

Edit, again: what about power inverter? Which one are you guys using that would power both injectors? Guess I should've said, "almost everything I need."

For the car you don't news any inverter If your var got 12V. Just two Cables with the standard power plug..

For the car you don't news any inverter If your var got 12V. Just two Cables with the standard power plug..
Thanks IBV. Can't say enough how much I appreciate the help from you guys. One last question and I should be hooked up for now. The settings on the amp software... Is this hard to figure out what's best? My apologies for all the questions.

Thanks IBV. Can't say enough how much I appreciate the help from you guys. One last question and I should be hooked up for now. The settings on the amp software... Is this hard to figure out what's best? My apologies for all the questions.

Try and error. Use maximum and see.
maybe dont out the P4 right next to the antenna. Not sure If the P4 internal board can be burned!

Antenna spacing makes a difference. I put my Omnis on the roof yesterday. I need to get up there today and move them farther apart. I had some noise in my video signal. Pretty sure it is cross talking.
Like IBV said, looks like trial and error.
I am also going to play with amp adjustments. I noticed my AGC is maxed out. It appers to become fixed when this happens. I have no clue what this means...lol.. But will try to figure it all out..
Hopefully all of us running the 2400 amps can share our set up once we all get up and going.
Another good point IBV. I probally shouldn't have flown so close to my antennas when they were on the deck :O

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
Only thing I have to compare to, as far as a hot signal, is from my experience in my recording studio. If I have the gain to high on a mic, the signal distorts and it clips the preamp, but it had never fried anything. Immediate adjustments are made when this happens. An extended period of time could possibly overheat the preamps.. my guess there would be a similar effect in our birds with to much gain for an extended period of time. Question is, how much time.

Last edited:
Only thing I have to compare to, as far as a hot signal, is from my experience in my recording studio. If I have the gain to high on a mic, the signal distorts and it clips the preamp, but it had never fried anything. Immediate adjustments are made when this happens. An extended period of time could possibly overheat the preamps.. my guess there would be a similar affect in our birds with to much gain for an extended period of time.

Indeed, it's very similar. Note that the Rf-linx got some good working bandpass filters as well. When I fly with the omni antennas near other Wifi gear I use to see plenty of red bars up to channel 21/22. When using the 20dbi directional antennas the signal is a whole lotta clearer.

Me being jack of all trades and master of none, I may try what I know first. When I set up a musician, I get him to play as I set gain. In audio, I raise the gain until it barely starts to clip, then back it off a little. I want the hottest gain possible without clipping. I may approach this in the same manner. Maybe start at 75% gain and go until i start seeing noise, (tested in a wifi free environment) then either hold or back off, depending what it needs. I can also say, just like one acoustic guitar, from one day to the next, records different on the same setup. Don't know why this happens. Different day, different tone. I've noticed that the same place I fly from one day to the next, I'll have different results. Need to keep this in mind while trying to get an average gain setting. One place could use more or less than another place, but I'm gonna try to find an average setting and leave it. I am however very open minded and if someone knows a correct way to go about this, by all means chime in please. I don't care to be wrong, I just know this to be safe.

Reactions: IBV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart