Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Jeremiah Nelson, I have your l-com setup with amps and was wondering if you are using the stock GL-300C for the 22,000 ' flight? Do you run custom channel and lower your bit rate to 4 or leave it on auto when going for long range? I love this set-up, I've flown from inside the car while my girl drives around town, even through dense urban areas I get great range.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always fly on channel 21. I lower the bitrate all the way down. Some suggest auto but ive found absolutely no need on channel 21. How far have you been with them? Do you notice better penetration?

The release of the mavic has rejuvenated my interest of indoor flight from a neighborhood. People on my street don't talk to me anymore and I don't hang around and fly around us. We are talking instant takeoff the off into the sunset. I don't even have to fly over any of their houses. But in any case the mavic is so small and I am willing to bet very quiet. I will feel better about this aircraft taking off and landing in this manor.

Reactions: nash
Here's my take on flying from the car. Same antennas as @Jeremiah Nelson coupled with the same amps as @IBV . I already had an iPad mounted on the dash for music and navigation, just had to install the antennas / amps. Right now I'm using a battery solution to power the amps, but I have a DC-DC converter that will go underneath the center console after I get some Molex connectors to get everything wired in a way that's easily removed. Wish I had a power liftgate because I would just fly right out the back! lol.

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 538
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 540
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 513
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 593
  • File_004.jpeg
    File_004.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 558
Here's my take on flying from the car. Same antennas as @Jeremiah Nelson coupled with the same amps as @IBV . I already had an iPad mounted on the dash for music and navigation, just had to install the antennas / amps. Right now I'm using a battery solution to power the amps, but I have a DC-DC converter that will go underneath the center console after I get some Molex connectors to get everything wired in a way that's easily removed. Wish I had a power liftgate because I would just fly right out the back! lol.

Wow man very clean thanks for sharing!

Reactions: jhax01
Lol good question! I just came back to post about that issue. I have one on order. I was told it will ship overnight to me next week from Carolina Drones. So if anyone is looking they still have more. But we will see. I see no reason why sma connectors cannot be installed. In fact its the first thing I am doing day one. If it works I will leave one in the house and get another to leave stock.

Hopefully the DJI goggles have those little sma connectors inside. My roof would have 4 antennas on it? 2 for the Mavic, 2 for the goggles.

You should scrub your tag. Too many nuts will track you down to grab the antenna goods.

You should scrub your tag. Too many nuts will track you down to grab the antenna goods.

Thx. Good advice, but if someone wants it, they will get it no matter what I do. Just a few months ago somebody stole all my wheels. :-/
IMG_0698.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Yikes. That had to boil your water for a minute or two.

Had to laugh really... We are renting an apartment while we figure out what area around Atlanta we want to buy a house. It's a gated complex in a good area so it goes to show that neither of those things are a deterrent to someone who is determined. The funny part is our dogs will go bananas if a squirrel farts outside the window, but they slept right through somebody stealing the wheels. Lol..

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so what's your indoor setup? Here is mine on my car. 20,000ft with room to go further. I also have a setup just like this for my house using high quality low loss cable with the same results!

Not sure how you went that far what about battery power?

Just wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so what's your indoor setup? Here is mine on my car. 20,000ft with room to go further. I also have a setup just like this for my house using high quality low loss cable with the same results!
Dude this is crazy cool.

Gota bring this one back... New toys :) Antenna to Amp should be low loss :)))

20161102_172810_zpsszhpnypc.jpg

Low loss indeed. I got same set-up now for car or tripod when using omni antennas. I compared it and no doubt this is working with amazing range and penetration. Especially penetration seems improved. Did you test it?

Low loss indeed. I got same set-up now for car or tripod when using omni antennas. I compared it and no doubt this is working with amazing range and penetration. Especially penetration seems improved. Did you test it?

Glad to hear you are getting good penetration with this set up.
Do you have the RF Links on both antenna's ? and what wattage setting did you go with ?
No testing :( Just collecting pieces at this point. This was going to wait until spring to use on my Pontoon boat, but I have a feeling those Omnis will end up on my roof :)
I was up there cleaning my chimney for winter, next thing you know I'm looking for a good spot to penetrate some wires :O

Reactions: hotashes
Yes. RF linx for both antennas. Both sides are important. I use max settings (4W) and full Rx gain.
When measuring what arrives at the amps on my roof I got around +3 dbm. This should be enough to get full output
I didn't measure the car setup yet using the Rf-linx measuring functionality.
Yea.- Get a long drill and get 2 16mm holes or one bigger hole. I crimped the connectors onto the cable afterwards using LMR 400 cable. I made some holding brackets and rails to screw the amps antenna onto the roof top. No storm can twist them:)

Thanks for sharing your amp settings IBV !!
Peer pressure.... The cables are on there way...lol :)
My excuse is I am pulling wiring for Soffit lighting on my Michigan room ( Enclosed porch ) Holes are drilled, i will sneak the LMR-400 in threw the Soffit and down the inside wall before I insulate and cover the walls.
It would be too cool to have a wall jack for my controller :)

Reactions: hotashes and IBV

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers