Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Yes, agreed. I was super late getting started on the read, but helped to be late because the further I got, more progress was made. That's why I went with what you and IBV did. I seen how thick the trees were in your vid. Plus it looked like the ground itself was 5'+ off the water so you wasn't much at all above the ground. Impressive for sure.
Question, just to help me think until i get mine, but when you hook the USB to the computer, does it hook to the amp or the injector? My setup may depend on that. If it hooks to the amp, I may "try" having the amp in the car also as I could hook my laptop to it and adjust without having to get out every time. I'll definitely try both ways. Gonna order a couple pigtails just for that purpose. Won't hurt to try. I'm hoping there won't be much loss at all with such a short run.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It plugs into the Injector.

Good point, i forgot they had let the water down for winter. 4 vertical ft.
I was 5 off the water. It's gota be the giant a$$ pine trees mixed in with those giant Oaks. I wasn't impressed until i flew a few more batteries in a few different spots. It will kill woods that i can see thru.
Going to keep tuning on it.
Bring on the FPV video's...lol

Usb connects to the injector.
Hope I didn't come across l

Thanks for sharing jhax01 !!
Is that the one you started out @ 5V then switched it over to 12V ?
20 db is what the LTX's max out at on the receive. I had to play with the antenna spacing to get anywhere near 20db without lighting up all the lower WiFi channels.
The injectors are a bit of an unnecessary component on this kind of set up. i had thought about finding out if i can power mine internal without an injector.
Just one on the receive side. I think Jeremiah is running 1 amp.
Looks like we need to amp the bird end now...lol It doesn't send much signal out.

Yep, those are the ones. I don't really notice a difference between those and the LTX amps, but I haven't spent much time tuning the LTXs either. It's probably possible to power the LTXs internally, but you'll have to figure out where the USB header is so you can still adjust the output. RF Linx is shutting its doors but they still had a tech guy who explained how to convert the SAX amps. I'd start by emailing them. If it's possible, I'm sure they'll tell you how. Great videos, by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK so if ure parked why are all these OP making such a big deal about this practice?
The folks with there underwear in a knot will have to answer this one. :O:)

Yes, agreed. I was super late getting started on the read, but helped to be late because the further I got, more progress was made. That's why I went with what you and IBV did. I seen how thick the trees were in your vid. Plus it looked like the ground itself was 5'+ off the water so you wasn't much at all above the ground. Impressive for sure.
Question, just to help me think until i get mine, but when you hook the USB to the computer, does it hook to the amp or the injector? My setup may depend on that. If it hooks to the amp, I may "try" having the amp in the car also as I could hook my laptop to it and adjust without having to get out every time. I'll definitely try both ways. Gonna order a couple pigtails just for that purpose. Won't hurt to try. I'm hoping there won't be much loss at all with such a short run.

It hooks up to the amp. Not injector

Usb connects to the injector.
Hope I didn't come across l

Thanks for sharing jhax01 !!
Is that the one you started out @ 5V then switched it over to 12V ?
20 db is what the LTX's max out at on the receive. I had to play with the antenna spacing to get anywhere near 20db without lighting up all the lower WiFi channels.
The injectors are a bit of an unnecessary component on this kind of set up. i had thought about finding out if i can power mine internal without an injector.
Just one on the receive side. I think Jeremiah is running 1 amp.
Looks like we need to amp the bird end now...lol It doesn't send much signal out.

There is also 2400LTE. Same as LTX with USB but without injector.

Reactions: Turbomania
It hooks up to the amp. Not injector
Sorry IBV, all due respect, the usb plugs into the injector on my 2400 LTX's
If the amps are on the roof you would have to climb up there to program. :O
The LTE's plug into the Amp, as it has no Injector.

Sorry IBV, all due respect, the usb plugs into the injector on my 2400 LTX's
If the amps are on the roof you would have to climb up there to program. :O
The LTE's plug into the Amp, as it has no Injector.
That's what I mean as well. I referred to where it measures. The LTX USB is going via injector but measure at the amp on the roof.

Here ya go Johnny. some more testing/tweaking on the car set up.

Reactions: JohnnyB
That's awesome! Your killin' me with these teaser vids..haha Lovin' it though. That's ok, I'll be posting soon enough.
All my cables are in now including the clean install cables. Now Amps and antennas and I may have to take a couple days off.. [emoji16] They're working the snot out of me so hard to find time to do anything else at the moment.
So, how you liking your LTX's? About to get them tuned in the way you like?

Last edited:
I threw away the washers that come with the clean install kit the second time I had to take the RC apart. The SMA jack ends wants to turn when disconnecting the cables to Injector/Amp.

I used a star type lock washer inside and a slightly larger O.D. stainless flat washer on the outside. Don't over tighten, but don't under tighten :O It must not twist in the RC housing when attaching and detaching cables to it !!

The video side has been a bit of a balancing act for me so far.

It does seem to get better penetration with the receive side @ 20 dB. For distance runs or most anything where your at altitude that is fine. I flew that 3.8 Miles at 20 Db. Looked great to me. Not a lot of detail to see from up there anyway.

The problem is when I am flying FPV, like the above Vid. the display is distorted just enough I can't see the fine details ( Twigs ) I need to see. I was able to fly the above video at 20 Db , because I didn't really need to see that much detail on a trail that wide. Head off into the woods and it's game over with that much gain. Don't get me wrong, it's good video, just not as clean as you need to for the tight stuff.

When I drop the gain the video clears up, but I am giving up a little penetration. ( I think )

I'll be happy when I can crank it and have crystal clear video :)

Man, I am long winded tonight... must be the caffeine...lol.. night shift suck !! Midnight to Noon..

It's the drones fault I got 4 hours of sleep yesterday... :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 8154
I threw away the washers that come with the clean install kit the second time I had to take the RC apart. The SMA jack ends wants to turn when disconnecting the cables to Injector/Amp.

I used a star type lock washer inside and a slightly larger O.D. stainless flat washer on the outside. Don't over tighten, but don't under tighten :O It must not twist in the RC housing when attaching and detaching cables to it !!

The video side has been a bit of a balancing act for me so far.

It does seem to get better penetration with the receive side @ 20 dB. For distance runs or most anything where your at altitude that is fine. I flew that 3.8 Miles at 20 Db. Looked great to me. Not a lot of detail to see from up there anyway.

The problem is when I am flying FPV, like the above Vid. the display is distorted just enough I can't see the fine details ( Twigs ) I need to see. I was able to fly the above video at 20 Db , because I didn't really need to see that much detail on a trail that wide. Head off into the woods and it's game over with that much gain. Don't get me wrong, it's good video, just not as clean as you need to for the tight stuff.

When I drop the gain the video clears up, but I am giving up a little penetration. ( I think )

I'll be happy when I can crank it and have crystal clear video :)

Man, I am long winded tonight... must be the caffeine...lol.. night shift suck !! Midnight to Noon..

It's the drones fault I got 4 hours of sleep yesterday... :/
Worthy info to share. Thanks

I'm wondering, say like the sunhans that Jeremiah used, how his video faired not having adjustments on the amps, as far as the detail you mentioned.

I know next to nothing about these different setups and suppose the only way I would truly learn is to experience it myself. Every piece of info I can gather here is valuable so appreciate the long windiness. [emoji16]

Worthy info to share. Thanks

I'm wondering, say like the sunhans that Jeremiah used, how his video faired not having adjustments on the amps, as far as the detail you mentioned.

I know next to nothing about these different setups and suppose the only way I would truly learn is to experience it myself. Every piece of info I can gather here is valuable so appreciate the long windiness. [emoji16]

I'm just about clueless on this Antenna/Amp stuff myself.
I am probably wrong but I think the Receive Gain is about 10 Db on the Sunhans.
It's gets harder for you and I because there now is an adjustment that the small portables don't need or have.
I think the problem I am seeing happens with Omni's when the gain is turned up. Cross talk between antenna's I was told.
I am starting to think about 12Db Gain with these Omni's is good.
IBV is shaking his head about now. He loves my stupid questions :)

I am going to be testing one of these new Amp/Battery combo's for this company.
It should be similar ( Amp wise ) as a Sunhan.
DJI Lightbridge Long Range Antenna Mod for 5-10KM flight (4 watt, booster ONLY)

Reactions: JohnnyB and IBV
:):)
I'm just about clueless on this Antenna/Amp stuff myself.
I am probably wrong but I think the Receive Gain is about 10 Db on the Sunhans.
It's gets harder for you and I because there now is an adjustment that the small portables don't need or have.
I think the problem I am seeing happens with Omni's when the gain is turned up. Cross talk between antenna's I was told.
I am starting to think about 12Db Gain with these Omni's is good.
IBV is shaking his head about now. He loves my stupid questions :)

I am going to be testing one of these new Amp/Battery combo's for this company.
It should be similar ( Amp wise ) as a Sunhan.
DJI Lightbridge Long Range Antenna Mod for 5-10KM flight (4 watt, booster ONLY)

yea. You guys are fun to read! :)
but you' right about crosstalk. Not too bad tough. The amp you linked to is of type Sunhans. The antennas are small panel antennas and it will work for a setup on the RC. However, gain is not all. There are hugh differences in quality of amps. Noise and band pass filters.. Distortion, behavior at saturation point, amp curve and minimum trigger level. Sunhans trigger level is fine with short cables but too high if signal is weak. I noticed also that the both omni antennas work best when not in lime with the bird.(one covering the other)
unbeatable of course are real high gain directional antennas. Cheap and strong and perfect to block out other noise. I bought various types very cheap from yagi.pl ( note, that itelite are also polish)

Reactions: 8154 and Turbomania
...and the Sunhans got me max 8db vs ca 19db of the Rf-linx on Rx. The amp gain adjustment and measurement is simply great tool in practice.

Reactions: 8154 and JohnnyB
IBV just comes in and removes all questions. Now all I need are some low loss high speed mud flaps and I'll be ready fer the woods.. :)

(Meaning u just answered my next question. Thanx)

Last edited:
1479512245569.jpg

:Cheesy Grin:

Reactions: 8154 and Turbomania

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member