Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Just wanted to share my brainstorm idea for mounting the L-comm antenna to the roof with the ability to move them to different locations freely. I found these roof truss mounts (home depot) then attached a 40LB 1"x2" magnet worked perfectly...
Great idea and looks good.

Reactions: JohnnyB and go fast
This all using either 25 ft. coax or (Preferably) 40 ft LMR-400 lengths of coax. Will measure db outputs on both. Saw encouraging db levels using the method I have in mind earlier. Penetrating green trees AND buildings will always be the nexus of this type of action. But what I'm going to try to chase might be the ticket to this enigma. I did experience "over-modulation" in a previous test, but this is to be expected. It is not a issue "at distance".
My antennas are only ten feet long can I add an adapter and lighting them by another ten feet and how much will this affect it do you think thank you

Can you tell me the exact type of coax you are using what type of connections and also what antennas. I will look into the loss Factor and try to give you a figure

Also are you using any boosters?

The cables that come with with the l-com antennas is L-195 you could probably add 25 feet of either 195 or greater quuality cable in your system most likely would work. Fairly recently what I found is you get the best performance running the amplifier next to the antenna. Each adapter is approximately .25 DB loss. I am at work right now so I cannot look it up but you could look up L-195 DB loss per foot. Again your system will probably work, but you will have lost signal strength. My longest cable is a LMR 400 series 40 feet long I have extremely good performance, but I run my amplifiers at the antennas.

Last edited:
The cables that come with with the l-com antennas is l195 you could probably add 25 feet of either 195 or greater quuality cable in your system most likely would work. Fairly decently what I found is you get the best performance running my amplifier next to the antenna each adapter is approximately .25 DB lost I am at work right now so I cannot look it up but you could look up el195 DB loss per foot again your system will probably work but you will have lost signal strength my longest cable is a LMR 400 series 40 feet long I have extremely good performance but I run my amplifiers at the antennas
Thanx 4 Advice . ! don't I need a coupling ?

Yes you'll need to couple two cable lengths together. You can either Buy a union coupler or Buy the extra length cable that has the compatible fitting on the end that will couple to the l-com cable

Personally I would buy the extra cable that would be compatible to run your amplifiers in between the two cable lengths. That way if you find your signal strength is too low you just add the amplifiers in between the two cable lengths. If you choose this method Buy a union coupler.

Last edited:
Personally I would buy the extra cable that would be compatible to run your amplifiers in between the two cable lengths. That way if you find your signal strength is too low you just add the amplifiers in between the two cable lengths. If you choose this method Buy a union coupler.
[emoji3]
480a1f720f3cf7c844ffcc9de9d44985.jpg

Thanks a lot appreciate your help I would like to buy that cable you're talking about must be a female on one end and a male on the other correct and your other idea was that to use the amplifier as a coupling to

Reactions: Turbomania
Reactions: JohnnyB
Hey all - I've been following this epic thread off and on for what seems like a year! Finally ready to pull the trigger on some of the L-Coms to mount on my truck to do better with my P3P. I've also got the Maxxrange Evolite Kit Plus, so I'm already good with the gold Sunhans amps.

Here's the kicker: there are times when I absolutely have to be able to be mobile on foot, using the DBS-2 panel antenna. So, I do need to be able to swap back and forth between the L-Coms and the panel antenna. I know that SMAs are fragile and finnicky and connecting/disconnecting them a lot will cause issues.

So - is there any better way for me to do this than get the L-Coms with SMA jack ends (is that right?) and pony up the big bucks for Amphenol QMA adapters so I can quickly and securely go from one to the other?

Many thanks, all - can't wait to get this setup live!

Hey all - I've been following this epic thread off and on for what seems like a year! Finally ready to pull the trigger on some of the L-Coms to mount on my truck to do better with my P3P. I've also got the Maxxrange Evolite Kit Plus, so I'm already good with the gold Sunhans amps.

Here's the kicker: there are times when I absolutely have to be able to be mobile on foot, using the DBS-2 panel antenna. So, I do need to be able to swap back and forth between the L-Coms and the panel antenna. I know that SMAs are fragile and finnicky and connecting/disconnecting them a lot will cause issues.

So - is there any better way for me to do this than get the L-Coms with SMA jack ends (is that right?) and pony up the big bucks for Amphenol QMA adapters so I can quickly and securely go from one to the other?

Many thanks, all - can't wait to get this setup live!
Cool thing about your setup, you don't have to take none of your DBS stuff off your remote.. just unhook DBS antenna cables from the amps, screw in the cables from the L-coms. That's it. No messing with the rpsma on the remote.

Reactions: lone droner

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl