Flying from inside house or car anyone?

Hey all - the L-Coms arrived today and though only one set of adapters have come in, I had to give them a go. I hooked the L-Coms right to the amp outputs and tightened them lightly with a wrench. I'm sorry to say they didn't do very well - I managed to keep control well but couldn't get more than 1500 feet at any altitude without losing video.

Caveat - I am flying from a *very* heavily forested area, and that may have a lot to do with it.

Also, one of the SMAs unscrewed quite easily when I was through - perhaps they weren't quite tight enough. I really didn't tighten them down massively because I'm afraid of how fragile SMAs are over multiple cycles and wanted to wait until all the adapters showed up.

When the battery was at 45% or so I decided to just go as far as I could in the clearest direction; I got about 3000 feet out and disconnected, triggering my very first ever auto-RTH. By the time I got connection back and floored it home, the battery was quite low; as I was landing, it went into auto-land, and I bounced her around quite a bit before she landed. That's something that will take getting used to - I've always hand-caught to avoid landing mishaps, but that simply won't be possible flying from inside.

Any tips on how to make best use of the L-Coms? I stuck both antenna mounts on the roof of my truck and flew from indoors.

The adventure continues!

Hey all - the L-Coms arrived today and though only one set of adapters have come in, I had to give them a go. I hooked the L-Coms right to the amp outputs and tightened them lightly with a wrench. I'm sorry to say they didn't do very well - I managed to keep control well but couldn't get more than 1500 feet at any altitude without losing video.

Caveat - I am flying from a *very* heavily forested area, and that may have a lot to do with it.

Also, one of the SMAs unscrewed quite easily when I was through - perhaps they weren't quite tight enough. I really didn't tighten them down massively because I'm afraid of how fragile SMAs are over multiple cycles and wanted to wait until all the adapters showed up.

When the battery was at 45% or so I decided to just go as far as I could in the clearest direction; I got about 3000 feet out and disconnected, triggering my very first ever auto-RTH. By the time I got connection back and floored it home, the battery was quite low; as I was landing, it went into auto-land, and I bounced her around quite a bit before she landed. That's something that will take getting used to - I've always hand-caught to avoid landing mishaps, but that simply won't be possible flying from inside.

Any tips on how to make best use of the L-Coms? I stuck both antenna mounts on the roof of my truck and flew from indoors.

The adventure continues!
Tightening is essential. Not overly so, but a last snug to lock. They'll be ok. Heavy trees is always a challenge even with boosters. Connifers are the worst. The length of cable FROM amps to antennas is the rub. Shortest lengths will produce the best output DB. Make sure amps have all the quiet juice they need (usually 12-14 volts) snug connections. ensure antennas are as straight as possible. 3,000 ft is a good start for a first run.

Thanks, Gramm. Antennas came with 10 feet, so that kind of is what it is. I've got the power unit with the amps that came as part of the MaxxUav kit (which is awesome!), so I'm assuming power/amps is all good. Will certainly try this again soon with tighened connections!

Just our of curiosity, do you all find that you lose the video long before losing control? For a majority of the flight (and actually normally when flying with my DBS 02 panel antenna) I typically always have full control even when video gets spotty...

Thanks, Gramm. Antennas came with 10 feet, so that kind of is what it is. I've got the power unit with the amps that came as part of the MaxxUav kit (which is awesome!), so I'm assuming power/amps is all good. Will certainly try this again soon with tighened connections!

Just our of curiosity, do you all find that you lose the video long before losing control? For a majority of the flight (and actually normally when flying with my DBS 02 panel antenna) I typically always have full control even when video gets spotty...
Yes, you will lose video feed before control is lost. I just climb up, wait, change lateral direction (to try to move trees/structures aside). There are limits even using high performance equipment.

I'm back...
A quick test with all the goodies on the Pontoon...
L Com's zip tied to the canopy, LMR-240 to the RF-Links hanging out under the seat. A typical Turbomania install...lol
I promise to at least add antenna poles :)

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Yes:
Amazon.com : 2PCS Right Angle 90-Degree Gold Plated RP-SMA Male to RP-SMA Female RF Coaxial Coax Adapter : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: 2PCS RF connector adapter RP-SMA female to RP-SMA male: Electronics

2Pcs RP-SMA female jack to RP-SMA male Plug RF coaxial adapter connector Wifi | eBay

Just pop these on controller and only connect/disconnect end to antennas/amps. That way you are saving precious cycles that can be used elsewhere.... (Only .25db loss).....
OR.........
Wipe di-electric grease on threaded connectors and wipe clean. This will reduce the wear and tear factor many times.

Okay, I am *so* embarrassed to admit this, but I ordered these three parts, and received all three, AND LOST ONE SET OF THEM. They literally made it from China to Tennessee, and I managed to lose them in my own house. I think I accidentally threw them away when getting rid of a bunch of shipping envelopes; I blame Amazon Prime for being so easy to use that I order too much crap all the time.

So I have the 90-degree elbows and one of the other two - but I'm honestly not sure which of the other set I have. They look the same to me and they're both RP-SMA female to RP-SMA male....is there any difference? If so, any easy way to tell which one I've got and which one I LOST LIKE AN IDIOT?

Many thanks again for all the help and patience!

Also, here's a pic of the two sets I do have:

IMG_20170613_1022507172_zps7blsygvk.jpg

Okay, I am *so* embarrassed to admit this, but I ordered these three parts, and received all three, AND LOST ONE SET OF THEM. They literally made it from China to Tennessee, and I managed to lose them in my own house. I think I accidentally threw them away when getting rid of a bunch of shipping envelopes; I blame Amazon Prime for being so easy to use that I order too much crap all the time.

So I have the 90-degree elbows and one of the other two - but I'm honestly not sure which of the other set I have. They look the same to me and they're both RP-SMA female to RP-SMA male....is there any difference? If so, any easy way to tell which one I've got and which one I LOST LIKE AN IDIOT?

Many thanks again for all the help and patience!
The third link is the same as the second link. Just different supplier. The first link is also the same 'cept it's a 90 degree. All three links are the same type of adapter.

I'm back...
L Com's zip tied to the canopy, LMR-240 to the RF-Links hanging out under the seat. A typical Turbomania install...lol
Someone looks excessively relaxed. Where's the boosters? SAXU's also on vacation?

Thanks again, Gramm - I truly appreciate it. So basically the 90s stay on the amps and a set of the straights go on both the L-Coms and the DBS02? So all the wear and tear of connecting and disconnecting is on the cheap adapters and not on the good hardware? Pretty brilliant. Just want to be sure I've got the setup right!

I'm back...

Aw man, I was hoping to see the landing!!

Someone looks excessively relaxed. Where's the boosters? SAXU's also on vacation?
Chilling I was :)
I copied you and bought two, N-Male 90's to mount my Injector direct to the LTX amps . That is under the seat where the boat battery is. I power the injector's from that.
I bought these cables to connect the L-Com's to the LTX's under the seat. ( Time Microwave LMR-240 N Male to N Female 50 ohm Antenna Ham Radio Cable 10FT | eBay )
Still using the same LMR-195 cable from the injector the the RX.

PS I don't like using any adapters but like the idea of not continually connecting to the jack on my RX. Mine has been threaded and unthreaded a lot. It's only a matter of time before I mess it up.. Your way, I coud just change out the bad connection ( adapter ) brilliant !! Grams !!

Love your video with the baseball bat mast :)

Turbo

Aw man, I was hoping to see the landing!!
I hand catch on the boat, I had forgot my lanyard for the RX that day. I didn't want the safety police to yell at me...lol

Reactions: cstout

You sure know how to deliver. Haha thanks

Reactions: JohnnyB
I've never done a hand catch because I'm clumsy enough that it's a real possibility I'd be all cut up.

Reactions: Turbomania
OK so plot twist; I now lose signal completely at 100 feet away! So there's likely something wrong on the RC end. Sending off to Jake at MaxxUAV who has been awesome as always. So - I'll certainly update my report on the L-Coms when everything is running as it should!

OK so plot twist; I now lose signal completely at 100 feet away! So there's likely something wrong on the RC end. Sending off to Jake at MaxxUAV who has been awesome as always. So - I'll certainly update my report on the L-Coms when everything is running as it should!
Bummer!! Hopefully just a cable problem, they are bad about spinning were it exit's the RX. Gram's knows all about that :) Good luck, keep us in the loop!!
We should be able to get you out to at least 200 ft :eek:

Turbo

Haha, yeah, 200 ft would be a great start :) With my DBS02 (when everything was working correctly) I could sit at my dining room table inside my brick house and fly 2000' in any direction...man, that was fun! Jake is awesome and I know he'll get me sorted out. Now to see if I can rent an RC to fly a few jobs while mine is off......

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart