Flying Drone in and around Atlanta

It went well. Only DeputyDawg and I showed up. It was overcast, unfortunately, but still good flying. Sunrise was covered by the clouds.

6dd53e6d10db3db1a31e3320621e408c.jpg
8fbccb31c85eded5f150829a00de4a72.jpg
50b53fddbb568ee3e1cbdc26021c0290.jpg
76b9af0a78103a103e10d6156ec08cf7.jpg
7b86d07fd1406ad8472f98a2d580c614.jpg

Still need to work on the videos.

Phoenix and I had a great time this am. Weather was cloudy so no great sunrise shots. However, Phoenix shot some great pics at high altitude. Can't wait for him to post

Hello

I live in Atlanta (midtown/buckhead). Piedmont park will work. I go on weekends early to avoid crowds.

I would welcome the opportunity to do some flying with someone else. Msg me with your contact info and/or suggestions on places to go.

Perhaps we can get a small group together for sat am flying.

if you setup a group please le me know

Andy, where are you located. Always great to meet other droner's. Phoenix and I have met up in Piedmont park - had a good time. I'm open to new and other places. Your list was great. Now that the weather is getting nicer and more stable along with greener scenery - very nice

Andy, where are you located. Always great to meet other droner's. Phoenix and I have met up in Piedmont park - had a good time. I'm open to new and other places. Your list was great. Now that the weather is getting nicer and more stable along with greener scenery - very nice

@DeputyDawg - I'm actually located in California and have been putting together these lists for Hivemapper. It's tough to find good places to fly and we want to help with flying safely.

Gotcha. Thanks... I saw the hivemapper and was wondering about it. Thanks for putting that together.

I live right near piedmont park and go there alot. Great place, but looking for new places

im 107 certified, so I know.. which is why i made my comment about centennial park and another atl location.
much appreciate the link tho

I tool around at the horse park in conyers. It's a 45 minute drive from Atlanta, but only 10 min from me.

Hey all - looks like I need to revise the Top 10 list. I just learned about the 5 mile radius from the Governor's Mansion, which takes out most anything in the city and the state park rule was not something that came up in my research either. I'll work on updating the list and hopefully round 2 will be more successful.

Reactions: WestendSteve
I tool around at the horse park in conyers. It's a 45 minute drive from Atlanta, but only 10 min from me.

I'm well familiar with the Horse Park. I used to be with Conyers Police as an officer for many years. Great open area. Too bad the arena areas are closed. So if your drone goes down inside, you are screwed. I went there Thanksgiving am. Went over to the nearby golf course after. Good flying

I see this thread is a few months old but in seeking information for myself on drones in Piedmont Park I found two items impacting flight in downtown Atlanta:

1. From the Parks and Recreation Regulations and Guidelines - Sec. 110-72. Model airplane flying

No person shall engage in model airplane flying in any public park, except at or upon places designated therefore; provided, however, that no person shall operate more than a 35 cc piston displacement motor.

2. The Georgia Building Authority passed a resolution banning the use of drones in our around the statehouse building and within 5 miles of the Capitol Hill Heliport (which sits across the street from the statehouse. (From an AJC News article dated June 29, 2015)

I always check for any restrictions before I fly. I couldn't find anything on City of Atlanta's site about it. Sec 110-72 sounds like it applies to model aircraft the use engines, not electric motors. Either way, I haven't had issues with it, but that could have been luck.

The GBA's resolution seems to just be their way of reinforcing the FAA rule of flying within 5 miles of a heliport. I couldn't find anything else about it. If you have your Part 107, you should be ok. Just be aware there are multiple helipads in the area and low flying helicopters because of that.

I don't disagree with your interpretation but I am not sure if my Part 107 would help me if challenged. So far, I have flown in a couple of the Atlanta Parks without incident. I have not flow in Piedmont Park and would likely only do that if it was early in the morning. In the Parks I only fly if there are very few people around and generally stay below 150 feet. So far no official has said anything to me...including a police car that drove by, paused for a few minutes, but then drove on. I have not seen anything posted on the Park Rules Boards about drones. If there are not a lot of people around (i.e. potential overhead danger) and you are not doing anything stupid, I think they tend to not bother you.

Every time I’ve flown down there, it was right at sunrise to avoid people as well. Seems to be the best way to avoid any conflicts.

Hi guys,
I am new to drone - in fact, don't even have one yet but seriously considering Mavic Pro - Are you guys meeting anytime soon? Would love to meet you guys and get some inputs. I live in Duluth area, and will be nice to know fellow pilots! Thanks

Hey new to the forum. I live in Atlanta and am always looking for interesting places to fly. I recently joined Atlanta Radio Control Club. They have a large field. There are also covered areas that are useful for practicing flying around things.

Atlanta Radio Control Club
1600 Constitution Rd SE, Atlanta, GA 30316

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart