FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

I didn't say this info was "openly available" and I understand that it is NOT currently available. However, once the database is searchable, as it is for larger aircraft, then having even just a zip code or city will allow anyone to find you. They won't just need your registration number to find you. This is type of FAA search currently available for privately owned passenger aircraft.I have done it and anyone can do it, once it is implemented. Not trying to feed the bears here, just saying, "Beware of the hyenas..."
Actually you did say that it was both "readily available" and "openly avialable":

"The really stupid thing to me is that by making this information readily available to the public; this could or will basically defeat the whole purpose of the registration process. Since everyone's registration number will be openly available then anyone could fly a drone anywhere with impunity using someone else registration number on the drone to give the appearance of compliance."

N numbers have always been searchable.
Do you have a citation or link where the FAA says that the registration database will be searchable in the future?
Or is that simply speculation?

Prior to the internet, most people with a land line phone had their name and address listed in this thing called a phone book. It was publicly available and people had the option of not having their number listed. Still widely available for free. /sarcasm ;)

All information on a person can be found publicly, some for free, most for a price. This FAA registration will just be another database that will have the same information about you that many many many other internet databases already have. Not a big deal. 7+ billion people on the planet. I'm not worried.

First off let me say I am registered with the FAA. The registration is for the individual, not the UAS. That said if someone has your registration # they will be able to eventually search the FAA site and acquire your information. Now a possible scenario, somebody with motives to use a drone for illegal purposes has access to your registration # and they ID their drone with it and the drone is found, somebody will be knocking on your door and you’ll be in a position of having to prove your innocents. DON’T ID your drone with your # visibly.

Reactions: Damocleez
Ahh, that explains your confusion.
That thread is talking about the FAA's N number database - which has always been searchable. This is completely different from the drone registration database.
An N number is registered to a craft, not the pilot, and is only used for all fixed wings and (now) drones which are specifically used for commercial purposes.
So yes, anyone who is doing commercial work with their drone, can easily be searched by the public using their N number. The same information they have published on their ad/website which advertises their commercial service.
The thread you sent me to tells how you can type in things like "DJI," "Phantom 3," or a person's name and bring up all that information. The drone registration database has my name, my phone number, my email, but nowhere do they have a list of the drones or fixed wings I own - so how can I be searched and found using "DJI" or "Phantom3?"
I can't.

Many people are confusing the commercial database with searchable N numbers and the Drone registry which is only searchable by the unique registration number....

Actually you did say that it was both "readily available" and "openly avialable":

"The really stupid thing to me is that by making this information readily available to the public; this could or will basically defeat the whole purpose of the registration process. Since everyone's registration number will be openly available then anyone could fly a drone anywhere with impunity using someone else registration number on the drone to give the appearance of compliance."

N numbers have always been searchable.
Do you have a citation or link where the FAA says that the registration database will be searchable in the future?
Or is that simply speculation?

Again, this was in reference to a post made it this thread stating in a Forbes article that the FAA will make our info available. I didn't mean it was readily available now, which is why I stated "this could" etc. However, I see your point and I should have quoted the original post. Sorry about that, my bad.

Regarding N numbers, evidently you don't even need those to find info. I recently searched for Pilots and Companies in my area to see what private aircraft they had and discovered one of my neighbors was a pilot and had a private plane. Never knew that until this search and I did that using a website address posted in this forum, without any special skills on my part.

Ahh, that explains your confusion.
That thread is talking about the FAA's N number database - which has always been searchable. This is completely different from the drone registration database.
An N number is registered to a craft, not the pilot, and is only used for all fixed wings and (now) drones which are specifically used for commercial purposes.
So yes, anyone who is doing commercial work with their drone, can easily be searched by the public using their N number. The same information they have published on their ad/website which advertises their commercial service.
The thread you sent me to tells how you can type in things like "DJI," "Phantom 3," or a person's name and bring up all that information. The drone registration database has my name, my phone number, my email, but nowhere do they have a list of the drones or fixed wings I own - so how can I be searched and found using "DJI" or "Phantom3?"
I can't.

Many people are confusing the commercial database with searchable N numbers and the Drone registry which is only searchable by the unique registration number....

I get what you are saying and I do understand that was in reference to commercial drone pilots, however my comments were aimed at the very first post in this thread and I was merely implying that it will be easy for anyone misuse the information if made available to the general public. I probably should have more clearly stated this was my speculation as to what might happen or could happen if or when this info is searchable. :)

Last edited:
All records Fed. State, Local are open to public as long as not classified to a level that is not available to be viewed by the general public. Available to the pubic does not mean you can just go search and it will be able to view. Some official info is searchable and immediately available, but most require a written/formal request and some a court order and/or a search warrant.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
All records Fed. State, Local are open to public as long as not classified to a level that is not available to be viewed by the general public. Available to the pubic does not mean you can just go search and it will be able to view. Some official info is searchable and immediately available, but most require a written/formal request and some a court order and/or a search warrant.

True.
Did you know many US counties have online searchable databases where you can search who owns what property, how much they paid, when they bought it and other info? It's called the tax assessors office website often. So a lot of information is publicly available. But in some cases (such as gun ownership, and certain other things) harm can come from making that info available.

Also Zillow can be searched for homes and what they are worth, and when they were purchased and for how much, if we want to really blow this up.

You can only look up the name and address if you have the registration number in your hand. There is some level of protection - don't lose your drone, and your secret name and address will never be known.

This.

I actually placed my registration number on the leg of my drone gray in color. This way it's visible should the need ever come up where I need to show proof of registration/compliance with ease but hidden enough or hard enough to read where someone can't with ease see/remember the number to go shady.

droneregisterd_zpskxexv71o.png

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Put mine on inside rear of battery box. Fully complies with FAA but invisible to identity thieves Gotta pull battery to see it.

This.

I actually placed my registration number on the leg of my drone gray in color. This way it's visible should the need ever come up where I need to show proof of registration/compliance with ease but hidden enough or hard enough to read where someone can't with ease see/remember the number to go shady.

droneregisterd_zpskxexv71o.png
Awe, shucks, you blurred it out in the photo! I wanted to add it to my collection...;)
What? You don't trust us either? :confused:

I knew you were a big fan of my posts !!!! Just KNEW it.

But..seriously...did you ask your self the big boy questions yet?
Don't fear my posts just because you don't agree (or they force you to think). ;)

Fear leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate
and Hate leads to suffering

I thought hate leads to the dark side....

Remember the Patriots Act? We never would have known it existed if Snowden hadn't told us. Giving Top Secret stuff to other countries was wrong. Just like Hillary Clinton (former Secretary of State) leaving her server wide open to hackers with Top Secret information in it. It is the Governments job to keep us safe. They think that they have to know every thing about us and where we go and what we do in order to protect us. The only reason they don't do more is because the constitution stops them from unlawful search and seizure. The government will do everything in it's power to get our information at their finger tips. The government is corrupt and the government thinks they own us and our information and they can do whatever they want with our information. After all, it is only information. Just saying. Remember your Miranda rights. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say "WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU". Never give your personal information to anyone. It's none of their business. You never know who will show up at your door. Someone meets you out flying and you happen to become buds, you give your name to him. Then a month later he shows up at your door because he found out your address from searching the FAA database. Can you search by name? Hmmm... You never gave him your address. Your home is your castle and that includes where it is. He just thought he would drop by unannounced. Remember Craig's list and the horrible crimes committed because someone wanted to sell something they no longer needed or just wanted some extra cash. Some people say; if you aren't doing anything wrong, why are you worried? Then why don't they and we just put our name, address and phone number on a card and pin it to our shirt? Law enforcement can get your information. The loon's and crazy's are who you need to worry about and the mass shootings is evidence that they exist. What you do legally is nobody's business. Just saying!

Remember the Patriots Act? We never would have known it existed if Snowden hadn't told us. Giving Top Secret stuff to other countries was wrong. Just like Hillary Clinton (former Secretary of State) leaving her server wide open to hackers with Top Secret information in it. It is the Governments job to keep us safe. They think that they have to know every thing about us and where we go and what we do in order to protect us. The only reason they don't do more is because the constitution stops them from unlawful search and seizure. The government will do everything in it's power to get our information at their finger tips. The government is corrupt and the government thinks they own us and our information and they can do whatever they want with our information. After all, it is only information. Just saying. Remember your Miranda rights. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say "WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU". Never give your personal information to anyone. It's none of their business. You never know who will show up at your door. Someone meets you out flying and you happen to become buds, you give your name to him. Then a month later he shows up at your door because he found out your address from searching the FAA database. Can you search by name? Hmmm... You never gave him your address. Your home is your castle and that includes where it is. He just thought he would drop by unannounced. Remember Craig's list and the horrible crimes committed because someone wanted to sell something they no longer needed or just wanted some extra cash. Some people say; if you aren't doing anything wrong, why are you worried? Then why don't they and we just put our name, address and phone number on a card and pin it to our shirt? Law enforcement can get your information. The loon's and crazy's are who you need to worry about and the mass shootings is evidence that they exist. What you do legally is nobody's business. Just saying!
So you're saying, even if you befriend someone, never let them know where you live, because they will show up at your door?
I posted this a week or so ago, but I was at work and was ready to send out some Xmas cards during my down time. I had forgot my address book, so I went online and within minutes using only the names on my card list, I was able to look up every single address of my recipients on the internet.
When I was a kid, we had this big book called "The White Pages" and with it you could find people's addresses and Phone Numbers!
Scared yet?
Look at this!!!:
License Plate Lookup

So you're saying, even if you befriend someone, never let them know where you live, because they will show up at your door?
I posted this a week or so ago, but I was at work and was ready to send out some Xmas cards during my down time. I had forgot my address book, so I went online and within minutes using only the names on my card list, I was able to look up every single address of my recipients on the internet.
When I was a kid, we had this big book called "The White Pages" and with it you could find people's addresses and Phone Numbers!
Scared yet?
Look at this!!!:
License Plate Lookup

You get the idea of what I'm saying. You can do what you want. In all our meetings of new people, you must use some discretion. The FAA data base and all the other databases are not discretionary and the government thinks they can tell you what is discretionary and what is not. We must all use our logic, reason, and brains in everything we do. Words are for the wise as the fools toss them aside.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl