FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Those that think this is a non issue because your info is already "out there" fail to realize that this registry is JUST people who have substantial funds invested in a hobby that most cannot afford. This provides a searchable list of wealthier-than-average Americans. A tool ripe for abuse. Identity theft, possible hit list for burglars looking to hit homes that have a higher probability of "nice" things, etc.

Whether increasing our risk a negligible amount, our, as I feel, substantially, it does materially and incrementally expose us all to more risk. And for what good?

My wife is a doctor. Her SSN and personal information is a highly sought commodity for identity theives. Those that want high-balance bank accounts, or high-limit credit cards will run their list of potential victims against this database. You are kidding yourself if you think theives are all just lazy opportunists. Spend a little time on the dark Web, and you'll know they are highly organized, calculating, and efficient at picking their victims.

erkme73,
You make very good points.
It seems there are quite a large number of Americans who just don't (or can not) think beyond the moment.
Or they have been conditioned to think along certain lines.
Or..they will support ANY government under which they can enjoy certain drugs risk free.
Where did they all come from?

Last edited:
Reactions: johnp44
Those that think this is a non issue because your info is already "out there" fail to realize that this registry is JUST people who have substantial funds invested in a hobby that most cannot afford. This provides a searchable list of wealthier-than-average Americans. A tool ripe for abuse. Identity theft, possible hit list for burglars looking to hit homes that have a higher probability of "nice" things, etc.

Whether increasing our risk a negligible amount, our, as I feel, substantially, it does materially and incrementally expose us all to more risk. And for what good?

My wife is a doctor. Her SSN and personal information is a highly sought commodity for identity theives. Those that want high-balance bank accounts, or high-limit credit cards will run their list of potential victims against this database. You are kidding yourself if you think theives are all just lazy opportunists. Spend a little time on the dark Web, and you'll know they are highly organized, calculating, and efficient at picking their victims.

Sorry, but this isn't a high end hobby....
Do you golf?
Ski?
Dive?

And those $75 - $150 drones from the toy aisle at Fry's that weigh over 0.55 lbs have to be registered as well. That 16 year old with a part time job bagging groceries doesn't fit your theory.

But it is probably an effective tool to frighten people even more by saying identity thieves think we are all millionaires because we can afford a couple hundred dollar toy and will target us even more...

Sorry, but this isn't a high end hobby....
Do you golf?
Ski?
Dive?

And those $75 - $150 drones from the toy aisle at Fry's that weigh over 0.55 lbs have to be registered as well. That 16 year old with a part time job bagging groceries doesn't fit your theory.

But it is probably an effective tool to frighten people even more by saying identity thieves think we are all millionaires because we can afford a couple hundred dollar toy and will target us even more...

You don't register (or otherwise publicize) a list of expensive hobby gear. This is the first such list. And in a vacuum of any other information, it's one more parameter which can help ill-intentioned people to target individuals. Must be nice to be so carefree and trusting.

Reactions: johnp44
Not to worry, I have already received a letter from the US Government telling me their data base had been hacked and all my information was stolen. They have given me free protection for a couple of years..... Yea right!!!!
They had millions of government employees data breached.
Think it won't happen again then you had better think twice. The FAA is also government.

You don't register (or otherwise publicize) a list of expensive hobby gear. This is the first such list. And in a vacuum of any other information, it's one more parameter which can help ill-intentioned people to target individuals. Must be nice to be so carefree and trusting.
It is very nice to live a carefree and trusting life and still live in reality.
The only way the list is "searchable" is if you have the person's registration number in hand.
You can't pull up a list by name or physical location, only by the unique registration number.
So if you are afraid of having anyone know you own a drone, don't lose it!
Every one of the drones and fixed wings I own has my name, AMA # and my Telephone # on them, and now they have my registration number.
I lost a fixed wing in a National Forest once, a year later hikers found it, called the number I had affixed to it, and returned it.
I'm still not sure why I am supposed to be afraid of Joe Public knowing I own a drone?
As I've said before, lots of commercial drone pilots now with websites advertising their businesses, listing not only names and phone numbers, but their addresses in many cases - haven't heard of any of them being firebombed or had their ID stolen. And many of them own drones that are significantly more expensive than a Phantom.

Not to worry, I have already received a letter from the US Government telling me their data base had been hacked and all my information was stolen. They have given me free protection for a couple of years..... Yea right!!!!
They had millions of government employees data breached.
Think it won't happen again then you had better think twice. The FAA is also government.
Yeah, every time I use my CC (and that is how 99.9% of my transactions are paid) I risk being hacked. In fact twice in the last 18 months Bank of America has had to issue me a new Visa due to "fraudulent activity" on my card. Both times I wasn't aware of any strange activity, nor did any money leave my account. Several times a year I have CC transactions with the Federal Government, nothing bad has happened yet.

Are you saying the the Drone Registry is at a greater risk of getting hacked than all other entities who deal with our ID?
Why?

It is very nice to live a carefree and trusting life and still live in reality.
The only way the list is "searchable" is if you have the person's registration number in hand.
You can't pull up a list by name or physical location, only by the unique registration number.
So if you are afraid of having anyone know you own a drone, don't lose it!
Every one of the drones and fixed wings I own has my name, AMA # and my Telephone # on them, and now they have my registration number.
I lost a fixed wing in a National Forest once, a year later hikers found it, called the number I had affixed to it, and returned it.
I'm still not sure why I am supposed to be afraid of Joe Public knowing I own a drone?
As I've said before, lots of commercial drone pilots now with websites advertising their businesses, listing not only names and phone numbers, but their addresses in many cases - haven't heard of any of them being firebombed or had their ID stolen. And many of them own drones that are significantly more expensive than a Phantom.

You speak so confidently about how this list will be utilized. You assume it won't be searchable, but how long will it be before the entire database is downloadable as most publicly accessible DBs are?

I actually have no issue with putting my contact info on any of drones... In fact I've done that since day one. It's my choice. No one threatened me with a $27k fine or 5 years prison to do it.

The issue I have is that we are once again being forced (at the point of a gun) to surrender even more privacy, liberty, and freedom FOR WHAT BENEFIT? I understand that we have very little privacy left. I know people can search everything about us anyway. But that doesn't make this forced surrender of even more data any less offensive.

Reactions: Damocleez
You speak so confidently about how this list will be utilized. You assume it won't be searchable, but how long will it be before the entire database is downloadable as most publicly accessible DBs are?

I actually have no issue with putting my contact info on any of drones... In fact I've done that since day one. It's my choice. No one threatened me with a $27k fine or 5 years prison to do it.

The issue I have is that we are once again being forced (at the point of a gun) to surrender even more privacy, liberty, and freedom FOR WHAT BENEFIT? I understand that we have very little privacy left. I know people can search everything about us anyway. But that doesn't make this forced surrender of even more data any less offensive.
I don't think I speak confidently about the list.
I think I speak free of fear mongering and paranoia.
I've asked why this list is more vulnerable than any other list numerous times on several threads.
Still waiting for an answer.
I'm open to being convinced and educated.

Are you saying the the Drone Registry is at a greater risk of getting hacked than all other entities who deal with our ID?
Why?

Why? Because only the government wants to publish my name and address information and make it assessable to any Tom, **** or Harry. Maybe that is why my information was compromised not just once, but twice and it was the US government both times that leaked it. Check back with us after you have it happen to you and let us know how you feel about it then. Maybe you will be lucky and it won't cost you like it did me.

Here's something to think about:

The company I work for decided to publish our unique business email addresses with the FCC to act as point of contract for various legal reasons. However, the FCC decided to make those email addresses available to the public. Now, each day I have to wade through dozens of spam emails from various sources that get by our anti-spam software, PLUS the hundreds of emails that have to reviewed daily that are captured by our spam filters, since these filters will occasionally stop valid emails. That's HUNDREDS of emails each day!

I can't begin to tell you how many of Nigerian royal family have requested my assistance in securing their wealthy bank accounts... This doesn't even mention the numerous viruses and malware that hits our email servers all the time. The worse thing is some of these viruses are so new that the antiviral software can't catch them all. That's just from the FCC...Imagine the damage the FAA will cause when our PERSONAL email addresses are freely given out? This was suppose to be confidential. Now, some criminal with a Web-bot email scavenger will have your information that includes your email address.

Any lawyers here that want to fight the FAA and DOT to stop them from releasing all of our personal info that includes our email addresses? Don't get me wrong here, I can just change or close my email account but the fact remains that I shouldn't have to do that, I registered with the understanding that my information would be held confidentially with the FAA and their agent and only divulged to law enforcement agencies. I reviewed everything the FAA published regarding this registration and nowhere did it say, my information would be made public, if it had seen such I would have used a different email address that I could simply throw away. I put my trust in the FAA and they lied to me. Shame on me for trusting them...

The really stupid thing to me is that by making this information readily available to the public; this could or will basically defeat the whole purpose of the registration process. Since everyone's registration number will be openly available then anyone could fly a drone anywhere with impunity using someone else registration number on the drone to give the appearance of compliance. So in the event of a fly away or crash that leads to damages or injury, then the offending "drone" pilot's liability is in effect limited to the loss of that "drone" while leaving the law abiding pilot having to prove the errant "drone" wasn't his to begin with, all the while the media and law enforcement crucifies and vilifies this poor guy for registering with the FAA. It could happen...just saying.

Even now there are people posting their registration numbers on the forum. Need a number, take your pick...this whole situation is just shy of insane...just my opinion.

You make some good points. My question is: is your wife's name on her office building or perhaps the yellow pages? If so, have you run her name through sites like dogpile.com, webcrawler.com, DuckDuckGo.com, Google.com, or Bing.com? Anyone concerned about personal information should go through this exercise.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You make some good points. My question is: is your wife's name on her office building or perhaps the yellow pages? If so, have you run her name through sites like dogpile.com, webcrawler.com, DuckDuckGo.com, Google.com, or Bing.com? Anyone concerned about personal information should go through this exercise.

Your right about that. I have run my name through those websites and the amount of info available boggles the mind, still much of it is wrong or clearly out dated but in my case the only fact that remains unavailable is that my email address I gave when registering isn't available to anyone but the FAA, for at least the time being...like a trusting dummy, I gave them a private email address not my throw way email address that I give to every would be spammer. Yeah, I know, sucks to be me...

Reactions: GregWV
Why? Because only the government wants to publish my name and address information and make it assessable to any Tom, **** or Harry. Maybe that is why my information was compromised not just once, but twice and it was the US government both times that leaked it. Check back with us after you have it happen to you and let us know how you feel about it then. Maybe you will be lucky and it won't cost you like it did me.
I realize that "any Tom, **** or Harry" would first have to have my registration number in hand to access my information. The list is ONLY searchable by your unique registration number.

I'm very sorry that your information was compromised twice. I have not experienced that I or may feel as angry as you do.

But again, my question (which has yet to be answered) is: Why is this list more vulnerable to hacking than any other site that records our personal information?

Here's something to think about:

The company I work for decided to publish our unique business email addresses with the FCC to act as point of contract for various legal reasons. However, the FCC decided to make those email addresses available to the public. Now, each day I have to wade through dozens of spam emails from various sources that get by our anti-spam software, PLUS the hundreds of emails that have to reviewed daily that are captured by our spam filters, since these filters will occasionally stop valid emails. That's HUNDREDS of emails each day!

I can't begin to tell you how many of Nigerian royal family have requested my assistance in securing their wealthy bank accounts... This doesn't even mention the numerous viruses and malware that hits our email servers all the time. The worse thing is some of these viruses are so new that the antiviral software can't catch them all. That's just from the FCC...Imagine the damage the FAA will cause when our PERSONAL email addresses are freely given out? This was suppose to be confidential. Now, some criminal with a Web-bot email scavenger will have your information that includes your email address.

Any lawyers here that want to fight the FAA and DOT to stop them from releasing all of our personal info that includes our email addresses? Don't get me wrong here, I can just change or close my email account but the fact remains that I shouldn't have to do that, I registered with the understanding that my information would be held confidentially with the FAA and their agent and only divulged to law enforcement agencies. I reviewed everything the FAA published regarding this registration and nowhere did it say, my information would be made public, if it had seen such I would have used a different email address that I could simply throw away. I put my trust in the FAA and they lied to me. Shame on me for trusting them...

Let me understand this:
You are now introducing a new fear?
Now you want us to be afraid that registering our drone will also open us all to email scams from Nigeria and Viruses that are so new anti-viral software can't catch them?
Did I understand correctly?

The really stupid thing to me is that by making this information readily available to the public; this could or will basically defeat the whole purpose of the registration process. Since everyone's registration number will be openly available then anyone could fly a drone anywhere with impunity using someone else registration number on the drone to give the appearance of compliance. So in the event of a fly away or crash that leads to damages or injury, then the offending "drone" pilot's liability is in effect limited to the loss of that "drone" while leaving the law abiding pilot having to prove the errant "drone" wasn't his to begin with, all the while the media and law enforcement crucifies and vilifies this poor guy for registering with the FAA. It could happen...just saying.

Even now there are people posting their registration numbers on the forum. Need a number, take your pick...this whole situation is just shy of insane...just my opinion.
But you do understand that your information is NOT "openly available," right? The only way anyone can access your information is by having your unique registration number in hand.
That does not make the list "openly available."

Let me understand this:
You are now introducing a new fear?
Now you want us to be afraid that registering our drone will also open us all to email scams from Nigeria and Viruses that are so new anti-viral software can't catch them?
Did I understand correctly?

Actually, I was simply stating from my experience what happened when the FCC publicly published my work email address and that this could happen if (when?) the FAA makes our information publicly available. Not a new fear, just another thing to be aware of...just saying, as it happened to me. As far as viruses or dubious royalty that again, was just an example of what has happened since the cat was let out of the bag for me...

Last edited:
But you do understand that your information is NOT "openly available," right? The only way anyone can access your information is by having your unique registration number in hand.
That does not make the list "openly available."
I didn't say this info was "openly available" and I understand that it is NOT currently available. However, once the database is searchable, as it is for larger aircraft, then having even just a zip code or city will allow anyone to find you. They won't just need your registration number to find you. This is type of FAA search currently available for privately owned passenger aircraft.I have done it and anyone can do it, once it is implemented. Not trying to feed the bears here, just saying, "Beware of the hyenas..."

Last edited:
Actually, I was simply stating from my experience what happened when the FCC publicly published my work email address and that this could happen when the FAA makes our information publicly available. Not a new fear, just another thing to be aware of...just saying, as it happened to me.
I wasn't aware that the FAA plans on making our information publicly available?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers