FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Reaction score
Funny how when i pointed this out that they will be all sorts of ways to abuse the reg system includeing ways that people can use the public info to abuse or take advantage of some one else I was ridculed and told on no the goverment would never do any thing that that by people who are just to young or just to stupid to know dam well that any thing goverments do is always bad and even when they dont have bad internt that still never stops them from incompetence and also no matter what they say they will do on one day is never! any guarantee that they will not change there mind right after. and i had fools say well it says they will keep it private. when that would be against the law for them to not make any registration numbers be publicly searchable info. so now any one thats registered any tom **** or harry that knows you name can look up your number and your home address and do all sorts of bad things with that info such as come to your house and commit a crime against you . or they can look up some one elses numbers and then put them on a drone and go do some thing crazy with it just to sit back and watch the cops go and swat the person whos numbers the numbers belonged to.
so are any of the female posters here cool with the fact that now its going to be easy for any sicko to go the the freindly faa site and get your home address and come rape or kill you if all they need is to find out your name??? or are any parents going to be happy knowing that now all it will take is for a kid that owns a drone to even mention they have a drone online and its going to be a safe bet that they are "law abiding" and registered and then all any pervo sicko has to do is go search there name and bam they got your kids home addess. or any one knows some ones got a nice expensive drone they can just go ask the friendly faa for your address and come rob you.

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

1. Who can see the data that I can enter?
    A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

The scenario you pose is way the heck out there and very unlikely.

A meteor could fall out of sky and knock out my phantom causing it to fall on me and killing me. Sure that CAN happen, but i am not going to worry about it.

The potential rape and kill scenario you pose is possible but not probable.

Crime committed by strangers are usually crime of opportunity. That is to say, you are far more likely to "invite" someone by standing in front of your house or just simply going out or driving on the road in traffic (think road rage). A stranger just don't look you up when they don't even know you exist. I know you exist, and trolling through here i may be able to gather some information about you by looking at your post content, but I would be hard pressed to look you up on that database.

Crime committed by people you know? Well, they already know you and don't need this database to find you. And they are likely to know much more about you than the database will reveal.

Not ridicule, just running through some common sense and logic filter.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Prior to the internet, most people with a land line phone had their name and address listed in this thing called a phone book. It was publicly available and people had the option of not having their number listed. Still widely available for free. /sarcasm ;)

All information on a person can be found publicly, some for free, most for a price. This FAA registration will just be another database that will have the same information about you that many many many other internet databases already have. Not a big deal. 7+ billion people on the planet. I'm not worried.

Funny how when i pointed this out that they will be all sorts of ways to abuse the reg system includeing ways that people can use the public info to abuse or take advantage of some one else I was ridculed and told on no the goverment would never do any thing that that by people who are just to young or just to stupid to know dam well that any thing goverments do is always bad and even when they dont have bad internt that still never stops them from incompetence and also no matter what they say they will do on one day is never! any guarantee that they will not change there mind right after. and i had fools say well it says they will keep it private. when that would be against the law for them to not make any registration numbers be publicly searchable info. so now any one thats registered any tom **** or harry that knows you name can look up your number and your home address and do all sorts of bad things with that info such as come to your house and commit a crime against you . or they can look up some one elses numbers and then put them on a drone and go do some thing crazy with it just to sit back and watch the cops go and swat the person whos numbers the numbers belonged to.
so are any of the female posters here cool with the fact that now its going to be easy for any sicko to go the the freindly faa site and get your home address and come rape or kill you if all they need is to find out your name??? or are any parents going to be happy knowing that now all it will take is for a kid that owns a drone to even mention they have a drone online and its going to be a safe bet that they are "law abiding" and registered and then all any pervo sicko has to do is go search there name and bam they got your kids home addess. or any one knows some ones got a nice expensive drone they can just go ask the friendly faa for your address and come rob you.

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

1. Who can see the data that I can enter?
    A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.
This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

I agree that these svenarios are kind of absurd. Yes, names and addresses will be on a list, but whats the difference between that one and the white pages (either local hard copy or national online). Using your logic, somebody is going to go through the whitepages and start "raping or hurting" people in there at random as well.

It reminds me how many people will block out the license plate number on an ad for a vehicle they list in a classified because they "feel" that doing so somehow protects them from all the nefarious scumbags trolling the want ads. Never-mind that the plate is publicly displayed on their vehicle 24/7 and is visible to thousands of other people daily whenever they drive anywhere.

Our name will be on an FAA registration list. So what. A picture of your house is on Google for 6 billion+ people to look at. If you want to get worked up about something, that seems more worthy a cause than sticking another number on your model aircraft and being on a list somewhere.

The people who are paranoid about the registration, in my opinion, either have bad flying habits to start with and don't want to play ball, or make decisions emotionally instead of with facts. That's why Obama was elected. A majority of the people thought he was "cooler" than his opponent. Never mind that the government is basically a giant company so who would be more qualified to run a giant company? Someone who's cool? Or someone who's experienced in running big companies? Emotion ruled.

It's all about perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at work last week and it was slow, so I decided to mail out some Xmas cards. I didn't have my address book with me, and my contact list in my phone has only numbers. I was able to look up every single address by entering the person's name and the city of residence into Google.
Amazing how vulnerable we are, eh? (that was sarcasm).

Reactions: jryser
The scenario you pose is way the heck out there and very unlikely.

A meteor could fall out of sky and knock out my phantom causing it to fall on me and killing me. Sure that CAN happen, but i am not going to worry about it.

The potential rape and kill scenario you pose is possible but not probable.

Crime committed by strangers are usually crime of opportunity. That is to say, you are far more likely to "invite" someone by standing in front of your house or just simply going out or driving on the road in traffic (think road rage). A stranger just don't look you up when they don't even know you exist. I know you exist, and trolling through here i may be able to gather some information about you by looking at your post content, but I would be hard pressed to look you up on that database.

Crime committed by people you know? Well, they already know you and don't need this database to find you. And they are likely to know much more about you than the database will reveal.

Not ridicule, just running through some common sense and logic filter.

Hmm , something to think about.
Now they also know that you are not so poor one, since you can spend few thousands dollars on toys.
Why don't you just park your Porshe with windows open and keys in
In front of yr house.
Hope it makes sense ( not registry)

Reactions: J.James
The white Pages and Google lookup responses are valid. The problem will be the linkage between easily-accessible name/address lookup, and 'being a drone owner/flyer'. In the unlikely event (?) of some person being obsessed against drone flyers, making the registration lists publicly-accessible provides 'target lists' for that person.

The white Pages and Google lookup responses are valid. The problem will be the linkage between easily-accessible name/address lookup, and 'being a drone owner/flyer'. In the unlikely event (?) of some person being obsessed against drone flyers, making the registration lists publicly-accessible provides 'target lists' for that person.
Unless the person knows the drone owner's name, what good will it do? I see no problem with this scenario. If someone was that obsessed, then it would be about the same possibility that this person could wait for the drone owner to finish flying and then following them home - if they were observing them. But If it was regarding a random drone flying over their house, how the hell would one identify who owned it when the thing is 50+ feet in the air? Search by city? lol Good luck.

Reactions: pomonabill220
You can only look up the name and address if you have the registration number in your hand. There is some level of protection - don't lose your drone, and your secret name and address will never be known.

Thanks for the clarification GoodNuff, that is a significantly lower exposure

Unless registration numbers are themselves easily predictable, like a sequential number pattern

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm , something to think about.
Now they also know that you are not so poor one, since you can spend few thousands dollars on toys.
Why don't you just park your Porshe with windows open and keys in
In front of yr house.
Hope it makes sense ( not registry)

Is that for me? I do believe you have the wrong person. I am of the opinion that there's nothing wrong with registering. I am not worry about the drone-hating serial killers.

I don't see the issue. Non-sequential numbering, a method to throttle/limit query frequency, and a few other steps are all you need to safeguard this.

Plus the registration number can be on the INSIDE of the quad, like in the battery compartment.
I put my name, address, phone number on a label on the outside, so IF it comes down and someone gets to it before I do, they have my contact information anyway.
I also have the Trackimo so I can tell where it is.
I would rather protect myself and have my information easily viewable for the honest people.

Unless the person knows the drone owner's name, what good will it do? I see no problem with this scenario. If someone was that obsessed, then it would be about the same possibility that this person could wait for the drone owner to finish flying and then following them home - if they were observing them. But If it was regarding a random drone flying over their house, how the hell would one identify who owned it when the thing is 50+ feet in the air? Search by city? lol Good luck.
I think the point is being missed here. There will be a large data base of drone operators that a 3rd party vendor is going to manage. What are the safe guards that this 3rd party vendor have in place not to be hacked?. So what stops the 3rd party vendor from selling your information to company's that wants to sale you the next big item or whatever else. Oh yeah the FAA stated they would have to comply with CFR 48 about personnel information, that is a rule, not protection. Some will say it can't happen, well I live in Florida and the State of Florida sales the drivers license information, nice! Don't get me wrong, I am for the rulings just not making a drone operators information public. Law Enforcementwould have the right to look in the date base while conducting an investigation. Safe flying to all

I think the point is being missed here. There will be a large data base of drone operators that a 3rd party vendor is going to manage. What are the safe guards that this 3rd party vendor have in place not to be hacked?. So what stops the 3rd party vendor from selling your information to company's that wants to sale you the next big item or whatever else. Oh yeah the FAA stated they would have to comply with CFR 48 about personnel information, that is a rule, not protection. Some will say it can't happen, well I live in Florida and the State of Florida sales the drivers license information, nice! Don't get me wrong, I am for the rulings just not making a drone operators information public. Law Enforcementwould have the right to look in the date base while conducting an investigation. Safe flying to all
I'm not missing the point. Any online database can be hacked, just watch the news or read. I'm sure plenty of people never thought that shopping at Target meant that they would end up being a 'target' of a hacker. I worked 20+ years for the #2 newspaper publisher in America. A few years back they outsourced all customer service, finance, and email to third parties. Again, 2nd largest newspaper publisher, including your Miami Herald newspaper. Do you think they were worried about hackers gaining their customer's info? I'm sure they were, but they went that route anyway. Has anything happened? Have those people in India and Indonesia sold info? Not yet, and more than likely, won't happen. So am I worried that the FAA is going to sale my info? Lol, nope. Am I worried they're going to get hacked? Hell no, lol.

Your drone may fall from the sky, but that doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the risk here is any greater than when I use my CC multiple times through the day to purchase meals, groceries, gas, pay tolls, etc., etc.
Any data base is potentially hackable. Twice in the past year Bank of America has issued me a new Visa card because of potential fraud or hacking - I was only aware when the new card would show up in the mail. I just think some here are looking for things to frighten themselves about regarding this registration requirement.

I don't understand why the risk here is any greater than when I use my CC multiple times through the day to purchase meals, groceries, gas, pay tolls, etc., etc.
Any data base is potentially hackable. Twice in the past year Bank of America has issued me a new Visa card because of potential fraud or hacking - I was only aware when the new card would show up in the mail. I just think some here are looking for things to frighten themselves about regarding this registration requirement.
Ok, let's just say everyone registers like they are suppose to. Then a beginner or someone that is not aware or does not registers their drone flys his/her drone into an aircraft, group of people, etc. causing great pain, injury, damage. This occurs in your area that you live . How long do you think before the press, tv news crews get a hold of the information which will be public, which I am sure you will be able to search by location and you are the closest drone operator to where the incident occurred. The registration is not a credit card theft, it's your personnel information tied to a drone and the press loves a hot story...even if their wrong. I only ask that the FAA comes to their senses and does not make the drone operators information public, let Law Enforcment do the job when their is an incident. As a side note I am not worried about my identity being stolen, that happen several years ago and now I'm a LifeLock member for life and every Christmas my ID is used to buy all types of cell phones and electronics! Fly safe and have fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers