FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

You get the idea of what I'm saying. You can do what you want. In all our meetings of new people, you must use some discretion. The FAA data base and all the other databases are not discretionary and the government thinks they can tell you what is discretionary and what is not. We must all use our logic, reason, and brains in everything we do. Words are for the wise as the fools toss them aside.
So the FAA database (only searchable if you have the unique registration number in hand) is more scary than the White Pages. Gotcha.

You do NOT need to register if you will be flying indoors only.
This is not an ownership registration but rather an intent registration. You "Intend" to fly outdoors...therefore you are commanded to register.

While I realize that few will fly indoors only, it does mean that if you are wanting to wait to see the outcome of any potential litigation concerning this registration, Or, your Phantoms are in storage or inoperable or you simply want more time to decide if you want to submit to the registration, you can wait....and just not fly "outdoors" ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So the FAA database (only searchable if you have the unique registration number in hand) is more scary than the White Pages. Gotcha.

I'm not trying get you or anyone. I'm trying to make people aware. Finally the FAA admitted the database will be made public. The word admitted tells us that they did not make that fact available to us up front. Get it? They hide the truth from us. We need to hold our government accountable for what they do to you and me. Now, if you are trying to get picky and get me on what I say, fine. Have fun but realize the point being made.

You do NOT need to register if you will be flying indoors only.
This is not an ownership registration but rather an intent registration. You "Intend" to fly outdoors...therefore you are commanded to register.

While I realize that few will fly indoors only, it does mean that if you are wanting to wait to see the outcome of any potential litigation concerning this registration, Or, your Phantoms are in storage or inoperable or you simply want more time to decide if you want to submit to the registration, you can wait....and just not fly "outdoors" ;)
Please send videos of you flying your Phantom in your home.
Would love to see that.

I'm not trying get you or anyone. I'm trying to make people aware. Finally the FAA admitted the database will be made public. The word admitted tells us that they did not make that fact available to us up front. Get it? They hide the truth from us. We need to hold our government accountable for what they do to you and me. Now, if you are trying to get picky and get me on what I say, fine. Have fun but realize the point being made.
I'm only trying to make you and other readers understand two things:
1) You address, phone number - easily searchable. Once I have your address (within seconds using google, bing, etc.), then I can plug that address into Zillow and see what you paid for your home, and what your annual taxes are as well. With the link I showed you for the DMV, I can find out your criminal history and a bunch of other stuff about you.

2) The drone registry is only searchable by your unique registration number.

The information everyone is so afraid of the public finding, is already easily and readily available.

The media talks about drone sightings and everyone here talks about the media blowing everything out of proportion scoffs at their reports.

The media says "FAA admits database searchable" and everyone here takes that as gospel truth and doesn't question it, and run in fear of someone finding out their home address.

It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm only trying to make you and other readers understand two things:
1) You address, phone number - easily searchable. Once I have your address (within seconds using google, bing, etc.), then I can plug that address into Zillow and see what you paid for your home, and what your annual taxes are as well. With the link I showed you for the DMV, I can find out your criminal history and a bunch of other stuff about you.

The information everyone is so afraid of the public finding, is already easily and readily available.

The media talks about drone sightings and everyone here talks about the media blowing everything out of proportion scoffs at their reports.

The media says "FAA admits database searchable" and everyone here takes that as gospel truth and doesn't question it, and run in fear of someone finding out their home address.

It doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to you. Okay. But, the more we give away, the more we lose. Have a good day.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Until it gets hacked, which it will (like almost all govt sites) and ALL your info is online for the world to enjoy ;)

That said, I think the potential for any harm to come from it is small. But...like so many other informed members wisely point out, it's just one more way you've been exposed / compromised unnecessarily. There still is no really sound reason for all this. Accomplishes nada. Another "feel good" move that will cost ya.

Reactions: Damocleez
I don't think I'm the only one. My cats love to watch me fly it indoors.
I just turn off GPS mode.
I'm not being a smart *** - I really would like to see it! I just don't have the cojones to fly in my house yet - doesn't the prop wash blow everything around? I fly my little mini quads daily in the house.

No worries. The Phantom is so extremely controllable it's pretty easy.
I'm absolutely sure a lot of people fly indoors.
There is a good bit of wind so if there's dust in the corners it'll blow out.
I get fur clumps from the cats that will get blown into the open mostly but I do a thorough cleaning
with the vac first to make sure my Phantom doesn't pull any into the props.

I have a Syma X5C that has no compass and no GPS (only gyros) and I practice with that.
It's quite a bit harder to keep that steady than the Phantoms.

I also have prop guards on the Phantom JIC. Haven't needed them yet but for the cats sake they're there.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Oh, suicide drone pilots. I see.

Still don't think terrorists will register their drones...lol.
I concur mostly, I think many terrorists would not register to just stay off the grid. But some following techniques to blend into the populace might do so, especially those planning some really bad acts. These are not suicide drone pilots, they are hardcore terrorists.

I concur mostly, I think many terrorists would not register to just stay off the grid. But some following techniques to blend into the populace might do so, especially those planning some really bad acts. These are not suicide drone pilots, they are hardcore terrorists.
Explain in detail how a terrorist registering his drone will help him "blend into the populace?"
Who would even know he was registered?

Neighbor to investigators.: "Well I never suspected Joe to be a terrorist, after all he registered his drone. It made him blend right in."

LOL, but the bigger question is why I am I now debating you about terrorists and whether they are law abiders or law breakers. I think we both know the answer.

I'm done.

I have thought about this, and other solutions. You need to change your credit card mailing address as well, as I think they compare, and the two need to be the same....
Yes, they usually have to match. So, you're going to be out the time and hassle of going to the Post Office for some of your mail. A pain, but I just threw it out there.

Has anyone suggested getting a PO Box for your public databases address? I did that with my ham license years ago.
And it's unclear if this would actually be accepted by the system as the parameters state that you must provide your physical address.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Registration
How do I register my UAS?
It costs only $5 to register your UAS and the process is simple and web-based. Registration is free for the first 30 days. Some things you'll need before you get started:

• An email address
  • Credit or Debit card
  • Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)

Wouldn't 'physical' be where you actually live and mailing could be a PO Box?

Yes. But people have suggested only using a PO Box.
But FAA FAQ says;
Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Looks to me like they want a physical address according to that.

But FAA FAQ says;
Physical address and mailing address (if different from physical address)
Looks to me like they want a physical address according to that.
Exactly. That's why I posted what I posted. You are required to provide a physical address. Using only a PO Box would not work (Although to my knowledge, no one has actually posted that they attempted that, so we don't know if it would or would not actually work.)

Reactions: fordruid

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers