Notice people having problems when updating firmware

Reaction score
So the question I have I'm not sure I found what I was looking for so I noticed that a lot of people have problems with their Phantom 3 drones standard and professional I see them all over the internet for parts only7 drones and they say that they don't work no more after updating now what is the correct procedure one for updating and do you update the controller or do you update the app and what is causing the problem for DJI drone Pilots that I see are selling their drones and calling them part drones because after trying to update the data in either the Drone itself they plugged it into the USB port and then into the computer or the remote but I don't understand which could someone explain why so many people are having problems and losing their drones due to updating and lastly how do you know your drone needs to be updated and if it does can someone please go through step by step for the proper procedure so that people don't lose their drones due to incorrectly connecting or disconnecting cables Maybe or not updating it correctly I don't know if someone could help me understand this I would greatly appreciate their assistance it was a toss up between posting my thread here and one other section and I thought this would be more down the alley of why so many fellow drone pilot lose your drone after supposedly updating software I've never had my device tell me to so I don't quite understand when you update and in the manual I did not get a very straight answer as far as any of that goes so if someone could help me I would think them for their time
Disclaimer I suffer from dyslexia pretty bad I used talk to text and my punctuation skills are completely out the window so I asked that you please don't troll me and get on my case because of my posting I've noticed if I post occasionally I'll have a troll come after me about what a horrible postage is because of the lack of punctuation I will be the first to admit it is a run-on post with no punctuation but my English skills have never been sharp asked me to install your furnace and I can dance around it and make a masterpiece out of it but I'm not Savvy in the ways of punctuation when I have my bids done I send it to my sister electronically so she can retype it and punctuated for me anyhow I just want to put that out there because I would prefer not to have any conflict due to my disability thank you very much for your time and have a great day

Last edited:
Maybe a P3S?

@dent5877
Welcome to the forum!

Look at my signature.
P3S => Fly-it or Fryware-it (Rod)
I have many posts related to P3S then signal problems.

The pins for the camera, two is recommend four can increase vibrations effects the camera quality (I think).

For a lot of info!
@msinger Has this site.

Rod ..

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Welcome to the Forum sir.

It would help us explain firmware updates and procedures if you have a specific model drone in mind.

As @RodPad mentioned, msingers' site PhantomHelp.com has much of the information needed for firmware updates.

Reactions: RodPad
All this would apply to what aircraft?
Valid point I corrected my post and put the type of aircraft I am inquiring about I am inquiring about the Phantom the DJI Phantom 3 or any of the DJI models I see them all over eBay for $100 usually minus the camera sometimes with the camera for parts only and usually people post that it was working good and needed an update so they updated it and then it took a s*** on them so my question is why is that happen what are they doing wrong why is there a USB plug on the Drone when they say you really have no need in using it is that what people are doing to fry their drones or are they plugging their remote into a computer

Reactions: brigerdrones

It would help us explain firmware updates and procedures if you have a specific model drone in mind.

As @RodPad mentioned, msingers' site PhantomHelp.com has much of the information needed for firmware updates.
Yes I corrected the post it's for the DJI Phantom 3 drones I have not come across any any videos that explain why this is happening

To be honest with you I did not know that there was a help page if you could send me the link to that unless it's attached to this Phantom pilot I'm new to the Drone business here I'm just a personal recreational liar but I haven't been flying my drone much because I have been trying to read up and get as much knowledge as possible and so I know I could read how to set up and update your equipment but what I want to know is what Flyers opinions is to why this seems to happen I mean there's a lot of drones out there that are considered Parts drones so you know I just wonder why it happened so frequently and maybe the long-term professional Flyers could give some tips to the novice on what not to do to make sure you don't turn your drone into a parts drone and sell it on eBay LOL anyhow thank you for being a gentleman and The Time Of Confusion by not addressing what type of drone I was talking about with that being said I would like to thank everybody that's responded for not being a troll I can tell already that there's nothing but some professional people on here that understand people have disabilities and instead of trolling them they try to ask questions to further understand the body of it and that's what you did rather than knocking me down so thank you not only do you Captain but to all others I respect you guys very much and like this site a lot more I was dreading posting this but I wanted to know what pilots opinions are what happens that causes people to do that is it because you're a novice and you don't know what you're doing or can it happen to anybody at any given time just like Any Given Sunday in the NFL thank you again for your time look forward to your responses sorry it took me a minute to respond also I have this app on my tablet and I need to get it added to my phone but I just found this page last night so I haven't quite caught up with myself

The general rule for drones or any other computer controlled devices is to NOT update them if they are doing what you want them to do.

The only reason to update is if there is a safety issue that gets corrected or new functionality is added that you feel is worth the chance of bricking your equipment.

That said, most instances of failure during an update process is due to not following the update procedure explicitly.

The link to the phantomhelp.com site is in post #3 by @RodPad. Once there you need to navigate to the specific model of Phantom and topic of choice.

what is the correct procedure one for updating and do you update the controller or do you update the app and what is causing the problem for DJI drone Pilots
Phantom 3 models are the most challenging to update. I have detailed firmware installation instructions available at the link below. That usually works well for most people when followed exactly.

The only cases where I've seen firmware updates fail is when people either weren't following the instructions correctly or they had some kind of faulty hardware on their drone.

This sure went the wrong way, everybody so far is trying to help. They all know more than I do.

These members are great.

This and the MP Forum are just different.

Rod ..

Adding "Yes I corrected the post it's for the DJI Phantom 3 drones I have not come across any any videos that explain why this is happening"

What do you have?
What are you trying to do?

There are four versions of the P3, they are all different.
I have seen people get something used, and has the wrong shell on it, etc.

Last edited:
This sure went the wrong way, everybody so far is trying to help. They all know more than I do.

These members are great.

Rod ..

Adding "Yes I corrected the post it's for the DJI Phantom 3 drones I have not come across any any videos that explain why this is happening"

What do you have?

Two and very pleased with this site I am grateful that I don't have trolls attacking me because of my failure to punctuate if I try I probably get yelled at more for what I punctuated and how I did it then not punctuating I use the talk to text feature since I got a tablet it has made it a lot easier to watch the talk to text complete my words but sometimes it still says the word and I don't catch it and it's the wrong one but all the same with all that being said I just want to tell everybody thank you very much for your help I did not realize there was a help section I came across this site and searched for update failures and I didn't find what I was looking for so that's why I posted in hindsight I wish I would have ask the different question but all the same as I found in one of the threads it says
" if you know it share it
if you don't know it learn it
the seed of knowledge feeds the future
be a part of it" ***** credit**** @RodPad
Very nice quote and very well put if it isn't your quote you're more than welcome to share who it was because it's a very powerful one thank you for sharing I am going to go to the link that was shared with one of the others threads and look around at what I need to find and read and thank you for everybody for the answers and helping a newbie out I'm very grateful that I didn't get attacked I was on Reddit and these people one after me I tend to not even post because of that now well I think I got the answers I needed from everybody I once again appreciate everybody that chimed in as it was said above knowledge is power and power is knowledge

Reactions: brigerdrones

These members are great.

Rod ..

What do you have?

I have a DJI Phantom 3 standard according to the box but what's weird is I have the camera style of a pro series because when I got the gimbal lock lens cover I had to order it the second one because I realized that there was a Groove after looking around at multiple lens covers I realized they had two different styles so I don't know if I have a DJI Phantom 3 standard with an upgraded camera package or if it's a DJI Phantom 3 Pro but according to the Box that it came in it says it's a standard now if you look at the Box the camera that's showing on the box is not the same camera that is mounted on my DJI Phantom 3 standard that's why I took a picture of the ID tag so maybe somebody can read that better and can help me understand my buddy's dad bought it for him for Christmas and then he sold it to me because he didn't fly it and I've bought a bunch of extra equipment for it and jumped in feet first I'm not doing too bad thank God it has altitude hold it's pretty user friendly to be honest with you but if you understand why the camera is different and it's a pro camera not a standard cuz I found out that camera would have went on to a pro version not a standard so maybe his dad upgraded the camera to a better camera I'm not sure maybe somebody can read the barcode jargon

Attachments

• 1082.jpeg
    1082.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 25
  • 1083.jpeg
    1083.jpeg
    837.9 KB · Views: 26
@dent5877, the saying you like is my “signature” for my posts. It is my own and stems from me being an instructor (teacher) during my Air Force career. Our forums are chock full of information and there are many like @msinger that freely share their knowledge.

Reactions: RodPad

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl