FAA Finally Admits Names And Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

Ok, let's just say everyone registers like they are suppose to. Then a beginner or someone that is not aware or does not registers their drone flys his/her drone into an aircraft, group of people, etc. causing great pain, injury, damage. This occurs in your area that you live . How long do you think before the press, tv news crews get a hold of the information which will be public, which I am sure you will be able to search by location and you are the closest drone operator to where the incident occurred. The registration is not a credit card theft, it's your personnel information tied to a drone and the press loves a hot story...even if their wrong. I only ask that the FAA comes to their senses and does not make the drone operators information public, let Law Enforcment do the job when their is an incident. As a side note I am not worried about my identity being stolen, that happen several years ago and now I'm a LifeLock member for life and every Christmas my ID is used to buy all types of cell phones and electronics! Fly safe and have fun.
Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that.
It's like that time there was a shooting down the road from me and some guy was killed- no witnesses. They recovered a couple of .45 shells shot from a Glock 21. Next thing I knew cops, media and ATF were all over me cause I was the closest guy with a Glock 21....
Or that time back in the old neighborhood when my neighbor had White 1993 Nissan King Cab and there was that drive by shooting a few miles away where multiple witnesses saw a Nissan King Cab and my neighbor ended up in prison cause the media went crazy -- he was the closest... get where I'm going?

I just don't believe these scary scenarios have any merit. Maybe I'm thick headed and just can't grasp it?

Reactions: J.James
I just don't believe these scary scenarios have any merit. Maybe I'm thick headed and just can't grasp it?

Interesting.....
Maybe once you have personally been the victim of identity theft and had to go through what millions of Americans had to try to recoup their losses maybe you will then. Or if you have been and still feel that way , well...not sure what could explain it...

Not sure how you (or anyone) could be so nonchalant after all the breeches in data lately. Including the US military and IRS.

But forgetting ALL that.....
Once again, the merits of this registration are ?

Interesting.....
Maybe once you have personally been the victim of identity theft and had to go through what millions of Americans had to try to recoup their losses maybe you will then. Or if you have been and still feel that way , well...not sure what could explain it...

Not sure how you (or anyone) could be so nonchalant after all the breeches in data lately. Including the US military and IRS.

But forgetting ALL that.....
Once again, the merits of this registration are ?
Yeah, I said in an earlier thread I have had my Bank of America Visa replaced twice in the past 18 months due to data breaches at various places it was used. No money was taken from my account though. I don't see this drone registration as any more risky than anywhere else I use my CC or Debit Card on a daily basis, including making payments to both state and federal agencies several times throughout the year. Or shopping online via a wireless network and using not only CC info but passwords - we risk our personal information on a regular basis - just don't understand why this seems so much more of risk to so many here?

I assume the registration process is for accountability. The hope of the FAA would be that the next time a drone hits the Space Needle, Great Wheel or lands on the White House lawn, that they will be able to trace it to the owner. It will not prevent any of the above from happening, but with accountability, it will hopefully lessen the chances.

The uproar surprises me. Why so delayed? There was a well advertised comment period where the FAA welcomed the public's input on this proposal - I wish those who are vocal now would have been equally as vocal then, when it mattered.

Reactions: Buckaye
Oh yeah, hadn't thought about that.
It's like that time there was a shooting down the road from me and some guy was killed- no witnesses. They recovered a couple of .45 shells shot from a Glock 21. Next thing I knew cops, media and ATF were all over me cause I was the closest guy with a Glock 21....
Or that time back in the old neighborhood when my neighbor had White 1993 Nissan King Cab and there was that drive by shooting a few miles away where multiple witnesses saw a Nissan King Cab and my neighbor ended up in prison cause the media went crazy -- he was the closest... get where I'm going?

Well my last comment on the issues, why does the registration have to be public, for what purpose does that serve? I know what I said may seem far out but spent 30 years in the trade and have seen far worst come about. To each his own, mean while no flying today as the wind speed is way to high.

Yeah, I said in an earlier thread I have had my Bank of America Visa replaced twice in the past 18 months due to data breaches at various places it was used. No money was taken from my account though. I don't see this drone registration as any more risky than anywhere else I use my CC or Debit Card on a daily basis, including making payments to both state and federal agencies several times throughout the year. Or shopping online via a wireless network and using not only CC info but passwords - we risk our personal information on a regular basis - just don't understand why this seems so much more of risk to so many here?

I assume the registration process is for accountability. The hope of the FAA would be that the next time a drone hits the Space Needle, Great Wheel or lands on the White House lawn, that they will be able to trace it to the owner. It will not prevent any of the above from happening, but with accountability, it will hopefully lessen the chances.

The uproar surprises me. Why so delayed? There was a well advertised comment period where the FAA welcomed the public's input on this proposal - I wish those who are vocal now would have been equally as vocal then, when it mattered.

Well, there are how many thousands of gun laws already on the books, yet gun grabbers scream for more.
How many laws will it take to "lessen the chances" of a gun hurting someone to get to "acceptable levels"?

Related to this....I say that every time there is an incident here forward (now that this hobby is officially entangled in the FAA's web), they'll keep piling on more regulations, and more restrictions, and more regulations and more rules and on and on ad infinitum ad nauseum. It'll never end.
It's not JUST this registration process. This just officially opens the door. Many are looking ahead based on some VERY good hindsight.

Wait until there is finally some real damage done. A drone actually hits a plane and causes injury or death....they will quickly blow the dust off and declare it wasn't "enough". Most people see it coming. Why anyone would think the government will stop at "reasonable" is a mystery.

And many people commented and were writing to congress long ago....without your knowledge. What delay?

Reactions: TC Malker
Well my last comment on the issues, why does the registration have to be public, for what purpose does that serve? I know what I said may seem far out but spent 30 years in the trade and have seen far worst come about. To each his own, mean while no flying today as the wind speed is way to high.

I agree with you but there are several reasons....Freedom of Information Act maybe but it is not unheard of for registrations to be made public. I'm with you that I feel that not all registration lists should be public. Look at what happened in NewYork to gun owners when newspapers gained access to concealed carry permit holders and published them in newspapers.

Perhaps news outlets will do that with drone lists. Who knows.

J. James has re posted this nonsense over and over. Find something better to do, you are convincing no one of anything other than you are paranoid of your neighbors and your government. Aircraft registry information has always been available so this guy knows not of what he speaks. I like the telephone book reference too. Whoa!

I think he's more referring to "toy" registration. To say what you said is to already have accepted the new designation of toys as "aircraft" regulated by the FAA.

You may not "like" what he says, but he's certainly entitled to his opinions. Traditionally, people who question government and point out possible unintended consequences have been part of the American free speech system of checks and balances.

Better we read ALL points of view and decide for ourselves what's important to us than to try to stifle others points of view.

Remember, just because you disagree does not make him wrong or his points invalid.

It reminds me how many people will block out the license plate number on an ad for a vehicle they list in a classified because they "feel" that doing so somehow protects them from all the nefarious scumbags trolling the want ads. Never-mind that the plate is publicly displayed on their vehicle 24/7 and is visible to thousands of other people daily whenever they drive anywhere.

Our name will be on an FAA registration list. So what. A picture of your house is on Google for 6 billion+ people to look at. If you want to get worked up about something, that seems more worthy a cause than sticking another number on your model aircraft and being on a list somewhere.

The people who are paranoid about the registration, in my opinion, either have bad flying habits to start with and don't want to play ball, or make decisions emotionally instead of with facts. That's why Obama was elected. A majority of the people thought he was "cooler" than his opponent. Never mind that the government is basically a giant company so who would be more qualified to run a giant company? Someone who's cool? Or someone who's experienced in running big companies? Emotion ruled.

It's all about perspective.

You might have a different perspective yourself after you have had your identity stolen and have to deal with all the consequences of it. I can tell you first hand, it changed my perspective!

As a side note I am not worried about my identity being stolen, that happen several years ago and now I'm a LifeLock member for life and every Christmas my ID is used to buy all types of cell phones and electronics! Fly safe and have fun.

Lifelock doesn't pay for fraud loss, they only will assist in finding the perpetrator who most likely can't afford to repay you a dime. So take it from someone who knows, you should be worried because Lifelock will not be responsible, you will be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's been mentioned before... but my main concern (not just for me but for anyone) would be that registration numbers are copied from online somehow and then some dipshits write those numbers on quadcopters and do really stupid **** with them to get the actual owners of those registration numbers in trouble.

And there isn't any sort of home address verification process when registering, either. What's to prevent someone from registering a number using someone else's home address and then doing something really stupid with a quad to get other people in trouble?

Not sure if it's been mentioned before... but my main concern (not just for me but for anyone) would be that registration numbers are copied from online somehow and then some dipshits write those numbers on quadcopters and do really stupid **** with them to get the actual owners of those registration numbers in trouble.

And there isn't any sort of home address verification process when registering, either. What's to prevent someone from registering a number using someone else's home address and then doing something really stupid with a quad to get other people in trouble?

I think Rothgarr raises some very valid points. If registration numbers become public and a non-registered user puts my registration on his drone and has an accident, the local LEO and FAA will be on my door in a heartbeat. Since drone model and serial numbers are not required for registration, it would be nearly impossible for me to say that it wasn't me. The only potential saving hope would be that I would have an air-tight alibi. Of course, LEO tends to arrest first and you're given your day in court later; quite problematic for most of us.

I'm curious to see how strict the labeling regulations are. Once I obtain my legitimate FAA registration number, is there any rule that says that within the same battery compartment, I can't place 10 stickers of similar numbers? Or for that matter, if a large number of people who registered made their numbers public, and other drone operators put those numbers inside (in addition to the real one), can one foresee the havoc that would cause the FAA?

"Hey Mr. FAA, we had a drone crash here in New England but it has 10 valid registration numbers. Help?"

Others have stated that this is only the beginning, and I can't agree more. It's only a tip-toe away from new laws that say that if you've ever had a DWI, you can't operate a drone. I'd put money on that bet.

Others have stated that this is only the beginning, and I can't agree more. It's only a tip-toe away from new laws that say that if you've ever had a DWI, you can't operate a drone. I'd put money on that bet.

Valid point. Then you'll have to buy insurance and have FAA inspector come to your house for annual inspection. So if you registered your screwed because they know who you are where you live.

And if you don't register and become a subject of investigation for any reason, you can be fined big time and thrown in jail. So pick your battles.

Reactions: pomonabill220
And if you don't register and become a subject of investigation for any reason, you can be fined big time and thrown in jail. So pick your battles.
o_O
Umm, I either lost track of the thread or am plum confused. Who said "...don't register..."?

I think we were discussing the problematic issues of registering, but not intentionally violating the new FAA regulations.

I live in Florida tampa Bay Area and i see all these new rules that came out and it's not so hard to follow just stay away from people, airports and highways and you'll be good and if you have permission from a park or marina or whatever you don't have to worry bout it.....

You might have a different perspective yourself after you have had your identity stolen and have to deal with all the consequences of it. I can tell you first hand, it changed my perspective!

Lifelock doesn't pay for fraud loss, they only will assist in finding the perpetrator who most likely can't afford to repay you a dime. So take it from someone who knows, you should be worried because Lifelock will not be responsible, you will be!

I've had my identity hacked a few times as well and if someone wants to cause you personal malevolence, they aren't going to do it by using public information gathered from an FAA registration list or reading your license plate number.

It's a person's personal right to see villains around every corner if they want but at some point you just have to accept reality for what it is either voluntarily or otherwise. This isn't about infringing on your supposed personal rights. This is about protecting our hobby from those who could care less about flying responsibly or being responsible in general.

While some oppose the registration solely for the fact they don't like to be told what to do, I stand by my statement that I strongly suspect many who oppose the registration do so because they don't fly responsibly and don't want to be held accountable. And that's EXACTLY why registration is being imposed. It is what it is and while people can complain about it, it won't change the facts or penalties for ignoring it.

Reactions: pomonabill220
I live in Florida tampa Bay Area and i see all these new rules that came out and it's not so hard to follow just stay away from people, airports and highways and you'll be good and if you have permission from a park or marina or whatever you don't have to worry bout it.....
Nobody can disagree with you, but there are always "Shades of Grey" (with no intended reference to the book or movie). ;)

Presuming I'm recording the Newport Yacht Festival, at 400' altitude and 2,000' away (horizontally) from any people or sail boat, in the event I had a catastrophic power failure, my GPS logs would indicate I was never above "people", yet it's certainly possible for the wind to carry the P3P over a boat, or God forbid, spectators.

I'm not shirking my responsibilities in this scenario, and will concede that greater effort on my part to protect the public should have been taken. But, I'll argue that I was not technically in violation of the current FAA guidelines (flying over people).

This is not an argument against responsible flying and accountability (which I'm 100% for), it's only addressing bad policy.

Thank you! :)

I am hesitant to ask, but what would be the difference between using a CC with the FAA and paying your bills online, buying things online, using paypal, buying things on Ebay/Amazon?
Couldn't those be hacked as well?

I am hesitant to ask, but what would be the difference between using a CC with the FAA and paying your bills online, buying things online, using paypal, buying things on Ebay/Amazon?
Couldn't those be hacked as well?
More likely the government would be hacked easier because they use the cheapest bid contractor to set up this database and system.

Reactions: kphantom

I was. A lot of good it did.

At present I have no intention of registering as a hobbyist pilot with the FAA. I would have considered it at one point, were the registration information going to be kept private, along with some benefits being conferred to me. But with no benefits given by registering, and now a confirmation that personal information will be available for searching (eventually) by the public, there's no reason to consider complying with the FAA's request. (It's not a law, by the way - it's just a rule, which can/will be challenged and stricken down by any judge with an ounce of common sense.)

Why the concern over the public release of names and addresses of UAV owners in a searchable database? Simple - it's one more thing that can be used to make people targets.

Do you live in a a homeowner association-controlled neighborhood? Be prepared to have the little bitties with nothing better to do search and drop by your door with a "neighborly" "suggestion" to not fly your drone at your home.

What about the mental crackpot that lives down the street? Now he knows you own a drone and can stop by your house every day to allege that you're spying on him and trying to steal his thoughts when he's not wearing his tin foil hat in the shower. And let's not forget about the people who see one of these "evil drones" flying over their property and think that someone is taking pictures of them. Now they can look up your address and lump you in with the 14 year old kid living down the street by complaining to anyone who will listen. And it will be up to you to prove that you were flying in a responsible manner, which will cost time and money.

Maybe some of the above sounds far-fetched to some, but variations of each of the above scenarios will begin to emerge.

And then there are more far-reaching privacy concerns. I was one of the people who had their identity (along with fingerprints) stolen as part of the data breach of various government records months ago. I'm one of thousands (or perhaps more) people who are now vulnerable as a result of the government's blatant incompetence. And that was a database of people who had clearances - so you know it would have had some security measures around it. I can guarantee you that the FAA's little toy web site wasn't built and won't be operated with the same level of security concerns around it. And they want me to provide an email address and credit card information to them there? No thanks.

I'll take my chances with not registering and just continuing to fly as I've always done, rather than participate in some half-baked shoddily-assembled registration and credit-card-honeypot scheme.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1