DJI major announcement ?

a8713243-171-uploadfromtaptalk1455671538537.jpg
Of all the posts and conjecture on the topic, this is the only one that has any substance,
The rest are simply wish lists. DJI have kept a very tight lid on any new developments.
This doesn't tell us much more than anew product in the Phantom line, aimed at "enthusiasts" and it's going to cost twice as much as the Advanced.
The big question is ... Is it going to be twice as good or just something with a few gimmicks added?
And what does DJI mean when they say an enthusiast?
I know what I'd need to make me want a new drone and I'll be surprised if the new model delivers it for me.
But DJI have surprised before (the P3 was a huge surprise package when it launched) so I'll be watching with interest.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Of all the posts and conjecture on the topic, this is the only one that has any substance,

Ooooh, I beg to differ! :D
Let's make some observations that may lead to a conclusion:
  • DJI focus favors consumer over professional.
  • DJI reusing technologies across different product lines (e.g. Inspire FC, VPS, etc. on P3).
  • DJI P3 product line is fully saturated.
  • DJI Inspire line still has room for new product.
  • DJI sees competition encroaching at the bottom end of the product mix (e.g. cheap clones).
  • DJI has unique brand recognition and PR power. Only they can make noise like these announcements.
  • DJI sees itself as the Apple of drones making better quality drones that command higher prices.
  • Invite image is good composite between I1 and P3 body shapes.
Maybe a new Inspire. Possibly smaller and priced between P3 and I1 with new consumer X cam.

So far, it looks like I might be right!

Reactions: ianwood
Correction: Taco Wrangler V. Mod

Reactions: ianwood
Correction: Taco Wrangler V. Mod
I'm not sure if that sounds more like a boxing match or a Supreme Court case.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sipping cognac and trying to figure out what the price of the P4 properly will be in in my fair country (Norway) assuming it's getting release at 1700 USD.
So the P3A is currently at 1028 USD, 28,5 % higher than US retail
The P3P is 1332 USD, 33 % higher than the US retail.
So let's assume it's at least a 33 % higher retail price we are looking at 2261 USD! :confused:

Last edited:
Kind of see a 360 degree camera as pointless with one operator as the camera can be moved 360 degrees by turning the drone.

UK

Agree, I don't utilize the 360 capability of my Inspire because if it is not within LOS it is really hard to get my bearings using FPV. Love all the guessing, I think by targeting enthusiasts we will be looking at a tricked out, fast moving drone. Can't wait to see what it is, but I predict SMALLER THAN A PHANTOM.

Kind of see a 360 degree camera as pointless with one operator as the camera can be moved 360 degrees by turning the drone.

UK

Reactions: Grae
I personally wish it to look more like the inspire, but the size of the phantom.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Agree, I don't utilize the 360 capability of my Inspire because if it is not within LOS it is really hard to get my bearings using FPV. Love all the guessing, I think by targeting enthusiasts we will be looking at a tricked out, fast moving drone. Can't wait to see what it is, but I predict SMALLER THAN A PHANTOM.
****, that hurts since I paid $1259 3 months ago. But that is the price of technology. I think that from a value perspective, it's best to buy the latest minus one generation. So if a P4 comes out, buy a P3P, likely at less than even $999.

750-850 used like new today 30 day warranty --B&H
can not go wrong

Interesting. I saw tracking functionality demonstrated at the UK Drone Show in December but it wasn't DJI.

UK

Look at VERTICAL app for the p3 I think P4 may go that direction. Point at subject, tap on it, and video is held to that track.

Reactions: Grae

True but it's harder to turn the drone and fly sideways if you're shooting a moving object but you may be a better pilot than me :)

I feel like if you're going to have a 360° camera with dual operator support then you should have two cameras! One that is permanently fixed on the nose of the craft for the pilot to always look straight forward and the second is the "real" camera that you use to shoot the video and record.

Then the pilot can much easier see which way he's going and maybe have the nose camera like a fish eye, wide angle lens...

1700$ is out of my budget, hope it's not too amazing so I don't get the cravings :)

there you go......

Attachments

• 12809661_1359466074079510_2628468440786538398_n.jpg
    12809661_1359466074079510_2628468440786538398_n.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 242
I really don't care that much how it looks. MUCH more concerned about capabilities and features. Obstacle avoidance, bit rate of camera, life of battery, etc etc.

I really don't care that much how it looks. MUCH more concerned about capabilities and features. Obstacle avoidance, bit rate of camera, life of battery, etc etc.

I agree, but looks matter as well. This is the same price point as a Typhoon H which looks like something from a Terminator movie. This looks like a pregnant beluga whale. :/

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart