Using two drones at once?

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I was wondering if any of you have ever used two drones at once? This may sound risky, but there are various scenarios in which the drones would need attention only for parts of flights. For example, fly one drone into place and leave it hovering (e.g., to film an event), and then fly the other drone into place (e.g., to film the same event from a different perspective). Another possibility would be to start two Litchi missions a few minutes apart. Possible advantages of flying multiple drones would include: (1) capturing an event that lasts longer than the max flight time for a single drone, (2) capturing an event from different perspectives, and (3) saving time by flying Litchi mission simultaneously. Another possible advantage of (3) is that one could squeeze in more missions if there is only a narrow window of opportunity (e.g., a storm is approaching, the Sun is about to set, there is an upcoming schedule conflict, etc.).

Looks like you're based in the US and work internationally. One pilot is not current allowed to do this in the US per Part 107 [link], but might be legal in other countries. And would be legal here in most cases if you have a second PIC to run the second op. Possibly you could get a waiver though I don't think they're commonly granted for this.

I agree with you that there are plenty of reasons to do it. When everything works properly in an automated mission, there's a lot of standing around and waiting.

For example, fly one drone into place and leave it hovering (e.g., to film an event),
and whilst you are busy concentrating on the other drone what happens if something goes wrong with the unattended, hovering drone? Having two or more drones in the air with only one pilot between them is possible but the question is ... should you?

Reactions: CoreySnipes
I was wondering if any of you have ever used two drones at once?
Yes .. you can fly two at once.
You will probably have to move the controllers apart.
If they are closer than about 10 feet, they interfere with each other a little.
DJI_0119a-XL.jpg

Because I am selling my P3P’s, the other day I had an idea- curious if it would work.
Say I wanted to show the P3P in the air for some interesting footage, could I put it up, say 8’ up & 10-20’ away, let it hover and put up my Mavic 3 and position it either slightly under or over and a bit to the side, I like the distance the shot above shows.
Then draw a spotlight on the P3P with the M3 , start recording video and start flying the P3P, having the Mavic follow behind and film the the P3P doing some basic moves. Keep a sedate pace, nothing tricky in maneuvers.

The Mavic would- theoretically- follow the Phantom and maintain its relative position right? Move when the Phantom moves, stops when it stops…
Think that would work?

I like the distance the shot above shows.
To shoot one Phantom from another, you need to have the two drones scary close.
Because of the wide angle lens the subject drone will look too small unless it's within about 3 feet.
When you put two drones that close, you notice how they are not stable, but are constantly randomly drifting up/down/left/right about one foot each way.

I wouldn't do it again.
Now I'd use the short tele lens of the Mavic 3 pro to keep a much safer distance.

Reactions: jephoto
To shoot one Phantom from another, you need to have the two drones scary close.
Because of the wide angle lens the subject drone will look too small unless it's within about 3 feet.
When you put two drones that close, you notice how they are not stable, but are constantly randomly drifting up/down/left/right about one foot each way.

I wouldn't do it again.
Now I'd use the short tele lens of the Mavic 3 pro to keep a much safer distance.
Sounds right. Thx.

We just use 1 Drone in the Sky to place as a Hover Camera and than fly the other in front of it to get some interesting shots of the drones flying in the Rain.

When we use Active track, it could not really hold its target in the sky very well. Now with that Said I have not tried the Mavic 3 yet.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

I programmed a Phantom 4 to fly waypoints around the farm while flying the Phantom 4 pro manually following. I had no issues, but your mind is in overdrive thinking ahead in case something goes wrong. I live out away from people so no risk of anyone getting hurt, just the drones if things went sour. I did this around 5 years ago.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I was wondering if any of you have ever used two drones at once?
Yes.

This may sound risky, but there are various scenarios in which the drones would need attention only for parts of flights. For example, fly one drone into place and leave it hovering (e.g., to film an event), and then fly the other drone into place (e.g., to film the same event from a different perspective).
I have done exactly this for traffic analysis - both drones just parked in the sky.

Another possibility would be to start two Litchi missions a few minutes apart. Possible advantages of flying multiple drones would include: (1) capturing an event that lasts longer than the max flight time for a single drone, (2) capturing an event from different perspectives, and (3) saving time by flying Litchi mission simultaneously. Another possible advantage of (3) is that one could squeeze in more missions if there is only a narrow window of opportunity (e.g., a storm is approaching, the Sun is about to set, there is an upcoming schedule conflict, etc.).
These were not automated missions. I simply flew the drones to a predetermined GPS coordinate and altitude and just left them there until it was time to land. I offset the flights by 2 minutes, which gave me plenty of time to land them 2 minutes apart.

From a safety perspective, if things went sideways for either drone, I would not have a problem reacting and correcting or whatever. If by some gazzilion-to-one odds freak event that BOTH drones went sideways at the same time, I would I have a problem. Both drones were hovered over empty fields (done that way on purpose). So I deemed the reward of being paid for that job worth the risk.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I have done it, once, with 2 P3P's in a planned flight in a controlled area. Yes technically not legal (in Canada either) but done very safely.
There was zero control or video signal interference between the two, they both operated perfectly. I lifted off and hovered with the first and then lifted off and took video of the first with the 2nd. As has been said, you have to get very close to get any worthwhile footage and I didn’t dare get that close. Was an interesting test and looked really cool from the ground but not something I have ever repeated since.

Can one PIC legally supervise two operators concurrently?

Looks like you're based in the US and work internationally. One pilot is not current allowed to do this in the US per Part 107 [link], but might be legal in other countries. And would be legal here in most cases if you have a second PIC to run the second op. Possibly you could get a waiver though I don't think they're commonly granted for this.

I agree with you that there are plenty of reasons to do it. When everything works properly in an automated mission, there's a lot of standing around and waiting.
Not allowed in other countries too. One drone one operator !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl